PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UH chair: Legislature should force UH to BigXII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UH chair: Legislature should force UH to BigXII

Postby coloradoStang » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:57 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
03Mustang wrote:Big things aren't always accomplished out in public...sometimes that's even more of a sign of desperation. Look at how ridiculous our "SMU2BCS" thing was a few years ago.

The Orsini/bull in a China shop approach failed....we have a better program now and the political angle is better managed. Just because people aren't chirping about it on message boards and in the media doesn't mean it isn't happening.

cough, cough pay boards, cough cough

good for smu or bad for smu?
Last edited by coloradoStang on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby 03Mustang » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:13 pm

CargoGunki wrote:The diff between us and SMU, is that when SMU tried this, they were laughed at. When UH does it, it's actually being discussed seriously.

If you repeat that enough maybe someone else will start to believe it. The only people taking this seriously are UH fans, which I guess IS a step above our deal that absolutely no one believed at the time.

We add about the same thing to a conference other than the Big 12. Neither of our schools add a thing to that conference that it doesn't already have. TCU was in the right place at the right time, because honestly the story is the same for them.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 pm

They're not the brightest bunch down there. They get trolled weekly by internet realignment gurus.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:19 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:remember when TCU got into the Big 12? You heard nothing about it until it was virtually a done deal.

You bring up a good point. Makes me wonder what The Chad was told about the state of SMU. I wonder if SMU is working in the background to become P5/Big12. All this talk about commitment has me guessing.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:13 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:remember when TCU got into the Big 12? You heard nothing about it until it was virtually a done deal.

You bring up a good point. Makes me wonder what The Chad was told about the state of SMU. I wonder if SMU is working in the background to become P5/Big12. All this talk about commitment has me guessing.

SMU is certainly working to get into a P5 conference. Winning and building a fan base is the way to do it.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:33 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:

We will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be in the Big XII in it's current iteration.

If OU, UT, etc decide to bail, then we'll get the Big American Southwest Conference or some diarrhea like that.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:40 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:

We will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be in the Big XII in it's current iteration.

If OU, UT, etc decide to bail, then we'll get the Big American Southwest Conference or some diarrhea like that.

This is correct. We aren't needed right now
CalallenStang

Postby stc9 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:24 pm

The only way SMU or UH gets an invite into the BiGXII is if they need to defend their markets for TV. If the SEC came sniffing at either program (not likely) then they would have to react to defend their TV foot print. Other than that, it makes significantly more sense to stand pat or expand into new markets. I think the SEC is the only conference that could nudge the Big XII into immediate action. Any other conference and they consider it.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:34 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:

If this senecio ever played out, which it won't, it would be miles and miles better than where we are now.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:50 pm

seriously people...conference expansion is being driven by TV revenue and UH and SMU add no value to any major conference and I'm not sure we ever will. Just check the "crowds" at our football games and their bball games and it is painfully obvious why we are in the situation we are in. Quite frankly, TCU and Baylor are very fortunate to have been included but give them credit...they've made a major effort to upgrade their athletic programs and are at least competing with the big boys on the field and court, if not in viewership numbers. Unless the Big XII is eventually forced to get back to 12 members and host a playoff/championship game and have no options that would expand revenue (BYU is the only program I can think of that even comes close), we are just going to have to concentrate on being among the "best of the rest". I know this is the football board, but reality is that we have a MUCH better chance of competing with the big guys in bball. Remember Matt Doherty's vision of making SMU the "Duke of Dallas"?
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football