PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UH chair: Legislature should force UH to BigXII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UH chair: Legislature should force UH to BigXII

Postby gostangs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Article says they got the nations top assistant?? Uh, no - they got the one we turned down. WE got the nations top assistant coach to run OUR program.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:15 pm

Haha, at least we got mentioned in that Sporting News article as the 12th team. Regardless, I don't see us or UH getting into the Big 12 in its current configuration -- neither of us would add any TV markets to make the conference's TV deal more profitable.

The Big 12 is not going to expand, IMO. Texas runs that conference, and if they'd had Baylor or TCU's resumes last season, they would have made the playoff. I think Texas would rather pack their bags and head west with Tech, OU, and Okla. State to the Pac-12 before they add someone like Memphis, Cincinnati, or UCF to their conference.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:18 pm

UH's chair sounds laughable, by the way. Their football team was above average in the AAC this year and your basketball team is [deleted] awful...what makes you think you're Big 12 material?

If Larry can put together some deep tourney runs and Chad can get us on top of the AAC in three years, I think we could have a decent argument for a P5 conference. Whether or not they're going to want a small private school is another question, though.
East Coast Mustang

Postby gostangs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:49 pm

If we start delivering a bit more of this market (by winning) then the size of the school is not going to be an issue. Big 12 won't add us unless it is obvious someone else is about to come into the texas market. Personally i think we match up better with ACC. When grant of rites expires they should drop redundant Wake and NCstate and add UH and SMU, expand their footprint and deliver a new market.

Or the SEC can come add us to give A&M travel partner and double the average SAT of their entire conference.
gostangs

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:13 pm

gostangs wrote:If we start delivering a bit more of this market (by winning) then the size of the school is not going to be an issue. Big 12 won't add us unless it is obvious someone else is about to come into the texas market. Personally i think we match up better with ACC. When grant of rites expires they should drop redundant Wake and NCstate and add UH and SMU, expand their footprint and deliver a new market.

Or the SEC can come add us to give A&M travel partner and double the average SAT of their entire conference.

No current P5 teams will get the boot. Especially a public school like NCSU
East Coast Mustang

Postby NTXCoog » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:22 pm

gostangs wrote:Article says they got the nations top assistant?? Uh, no - they got the one we turned down. WE got the nations top assistant coach to run OUR program.

http://www.broylesaward.com/press-releases/tom-herman-wins-2014-broyles-award
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby whitwiki » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:56 am

Texas Tech will never be in the pac 12
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:27 am

Oklahoma state will also never be in pac 12
gostangs

Postby soccermom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:32 am

Tilman has wanted gambling in Galveston, too, and we all know how successful he's been with that.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:23 am

Tech and OkSt were all set to go to the Pac-12 back in 2010 and then it fell through at the last minute. Texas and OU would have to bring them with them for political reasons
East Coast Mustang

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:27 am

The Big XII needs a TV rating to add another school UH doesn't do it for them and neither do we. I suspect that WVU is complaining and might push for Cincy as a mild TV boost to them and would be a travel partner. Other than that, you have nothing else except perhaps Tulane. I see them posturing for FSU, Clemson and VT and going to 14.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:34 am

FSU, Clemson, and Tech are better off in the ACC than the Big 12
East Coast Mustang

Postby untitled » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:39 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Tech and OkSt were all set to go to the Pac-12 back in 2010 and then it fell through at the last minute. Texas and OU would have to bring them with them for political reasons

I don't disagree with this, but I'm sure the Longhorns will point out that if Aggy was allowed to leave without bringing a little brother, why shouldn't UT be allowed to leave without bringing a little brother? And we all know that the Pac-12 has no interest in associating itself with Sand Aggy.
untitled
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:00 am

untitled wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Tech and OkSt were all set to go to the Pac-12 back in 2010 and then it fell through at the last minute. Texas and OU would have to bring them with them for political reasons

I don't disagree with this, but I'm sure the Longhorns will point out that if Aggy was allowed to leave without bringing a little brother, why shouldn't UT be allowed to leave without bringing a little brother? And we all know that the Pac-12 has no interest in associating itself with Sand Aggy.

Because when A&M left, Tech was still in relatively good position in the Big 12. If Texas left, Tech would be left in a watered down conference that wouldn't pull anywhere near the TV revenues as it does now
East Coast Mustang

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:50 am

Also the ACC TV rights agreement is like 10 years. Maryland ended up paying a lot of money to leave. FSU/Clemson would cost even more and UNC/Duke would have no qualms about shaking them down to leave. But, that's about the only way the Big XII can expand is by trying to raid the ACC other than picking up Cincy, SMU, UH, Rice or Tulane which doesn't expand their TV dollars much.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football