PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cotton Bowl: The Return

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:53 am

SMU/TCU would be great every four years or so,. Alternate Ford/CB in our home years. It's a much nicer place now than the late 90s. Of course the game has to be during State Fair.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Cotton Bowl: The Return

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:09 pm

I like SMU/TCU being on campus better.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:18 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I like SMU/TCU being on campus better.

Without a doubt. We don't need to be playing a regular season, home game in a 90,000 seat stadium. I was one of the 6,000 at the Rice game - 66,000 empty seats. Gotta love a full Ford. Just need it every time they open the doors.
Bergermeister

Postby ponyte » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:27 pm

Stay at Ford. The Vard is better than the fairgrounds, and safer. Why waste a home game's recruiting by having a home game that isn't at home. Nostalgia aside, we need players, not bailing out the Cotton Bowl.
ponyte

Postby ponyte » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Bergermeister wrote:

Without a doubt. We don't need to be playing a regular season, home game in a 90,000 seat stadium. I was one of the 6,000 at the Rice game - 66,000 empty seats. Gotta love a full Ford. Just need it every time they open the doors.

I was there as well. Embarrassing. At least 6,000 at Ford looks a bit better than 6,000 in a 90,000 stadium.
ponyte

Postby peruna81 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:20 pm

bad when the band finishing Peruna would echo for a good 3-5 seconds after...yeah, that was misery.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Bergermeister wrote:

I am not suggesting that it would be a regular event. Thus: conference games are out (unless Notre Dame decides to join the AAC ;-))

But, it would be nice to have one "Big Game" per year. If we could draw 50-60K for a SMU against TCU/Arkansas/Michigan, etc, it would be fun to go back to the CB for 1 game per year.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:15 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I've always thought this would be a great idea. Also, if we ever get good enough in football to get in the door in Birmingham to give our pitch to the SEC brass, I thought it would be a cool idea to propose an SEC game each year (either us vs. A&M or Arky, whoever we had at home that year) at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair to rival Texas-OU. (Perhaps the week before?)

Ha, that is my dream as well. There is nothing like playing in the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair of Texas. I always envisioned SMU / LSU.
SoCal_Pony

Postby GreenbeltPony » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Digetydog wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:

I am not suggesting that it would be a regular event. Thus: conference games are out (unless Notre Dame decides to join the AAC ;-))

But, it would be nice to have one "Big Game" per year. If we could draw 50-60K for a SMU against TCU/Arkansas/Michigan, etc, it would be fun to go back to the CB for 1 game per year.

That's pretty much what I meant: an SMU/TCU matchup at the CB would be an uncommon event. It'd only make sense to play TCU outside of a home & home when both teams are expected to be ranked, have significant buzz, a large following, etc. It could be hyped as a "Dallas vs. Ft. Worth" event that'd only be played every 4-5 years or so.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby BigT3x » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:21 pm

I'd like to see a one-off TCU-SMU matchup in the Cotton Bowl during the fair. Promote the hell out of it, play up the State Fair angle, wear throwback unis, get Peruna out on the Midway...
BigT3x
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Ponyte, please don't think going to the Fair is a dangerous event. C'mon now. 2 million visitors disagree.
smusic 00

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Bergermeister wrote:

Don't forget the Thursday evening game against Fresno St. in the Cotton Bowl. There were only about 7,000 at that game.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Thing is since they expanded, we could have 40k and they 50k empties would make it look like ish. 40k and Jerry world (see tcu Oregon state) looks a lot better than 40k amidst 90k aluminium seats
RGV Pony

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:20 pm

The only way SMU ever plays in the real Cotton Bowl is if we get invited to the Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl-hopefully against a Big 10 school
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Previous

Return to Football