PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Provost Ludden

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Provost Ludden

Postby Lefty » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:33 pm

True.
Also will be interesting to see who his replacement is.
Lefty
All-American

Postby mrydel » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:54 pm

I think it should be Ron Meyer, but Sherwood would do.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Who hires the provost? The trustees I guess?
RGV Pony

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:15 pm

mrydel wrote:I think it should be Ron Meyer, but Sherwood would do.

As long as it's not June. I mean he did recently complain that we let in people that were too dumb to go there.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hanging Chad » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:23 pm

RGV Pony wrote:Who hires the provost? The trustees I guess?

A very relevant question. I would assume the trustees, but maybe the president?
Hanging Chad
Recruit

Postby gostangs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:08 pm

president will winnow it down, and trustees will interview with the help of a consultant. Academic CEO is a pretty big deal at an almost top 50 University with the wind to our back - we will have lots to choose from.
gostangs

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:30 pm

I know he made things difficult, but we don't want a rubber stamp in that office. Not sure if we choose to forget what happens when you have that rubber stamp, but it is a lesson I do not every want to learn again. While a pain in the rear, having that contrary presence does make life more difficult, but it also makes running a clean program easier. Just my 2 cents.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:28 pm

agree
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:I know he made things difficult, but we don't want a rubber stamp in that office. Not sure if we choose to forget what happens when you have that rubber stamp, but it is a lesson I do not every want to learn again. While a pain in the rear, having that contrary presence does make life more difficult, but it also makes running a clean program easier. Just my 2 cents.

Right, but there is a lot of room to be explored on the continuum between "rubber stamp" and Ludden.

I would have been happy to see him go even if he were a friend of the athletics programs. He wasn't a fit for the SMU environment
CalallenStang

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Let's face it, you never have any issues when a kid is academically qualified. The problems always surround the bubble kids and weasel deals. If SMU is a top academic institution then it needs to act accordingly and athletic admissions should meet that standard. I never met an elite athlete who was not smart. I met many bench sitters who earned their place because they were simply not smart enough to learn the plays, made constant mistakes and could not be trusted. Just recruit better quality athletes who are smart enough to be college material.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 pm

They got it just about right as it is-they need to be able to get the low qualifiers in that everybody else can. In order to turn the Basketball program around quickly they perhaps took a couple of chances on "below the SAT floor" qualifiers they won't have to in the future because they've established the program and those "below the SAT Floor" high school kids will have to academically redshirt anyway. So I don't think we need to change anything we are doing as far as admissions. But there is a new factor-comparing the fully qualified recruit with the kid that won't be allowed to play as a freshman. The higher GPA requirement and the freezing of 10 core requirements out of 16 by start of Senior year of high school is going to limit the opportunities of the marginal recruits
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby couch 'em » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:36 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Let's face it, you never have any issues when a kid is academically qualified. The problems always surround the bubble kids and weasel deals. If SMU is a top academic institution then it needs to act accordingly and athletic admissions should meet that standard. I never met an elite athlete who was not smart. I met many bench sitters who earned their place because they were simply not smart enough to learn the plays, made constant mistakes and could not be trusted. Just recruit better quality athletes who are smart enough to be college material.
OK Mr. Pye, there has to be a limit somewhere but you are arguing for rolling back to pre-June admissions requirements and that is just a vile statement to make.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby PonyTime » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:53 am

Have heard that this has nothing to do with Athletics.

Ludden was extremely unhappy and vocal about the OE2C project (Bain Consulting) that led to all of the layoffs at SMU. I think that it was not necc. about the end result, but the process in general. Many in the admin were led to believe that employees would have more notice (6 months as opposed to two weeks). The project has also ballooned into areas that were not expected initially. What was said to the staff on the front end of the project and what has actually happened are two very different things - and Ludden stood as one of the ones who looked like the bad guy in all of this when he was very much against some of what went on. I think he finally decided it was time to go and I believe that there is a college/University President job in the near future for him in a state that he is connected with.

This was Ludden's decision as I have heard.

Just my 2 cents on the word on the street.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:18 am

PonyTime is right that it has nothing to do with athletics.
CalallenStang

Postby ObeyMyDog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:28 am

CalallenStang wrote:PonyTime is right that it has nothing to do with athletics.

Not entirely true, but mostly. Some athletic issues/concerns were going to be laid at Ludden's feet as well. But, he still was out the door for a combination of reasons - certainly not just athletics.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football