PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Guardian: The Forgotten Story of Kyle Rote Jr.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Guardian: The Forgotten Story of Kyle Rote Jr.

Postby dcpony » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:10 pm

I know it's soccer. But it's about someone connected to SMU football.

Kyle Rote Jr would be the first to tell you that he was not a soccer superstar, but there was no denying that he was a Superstar.

Four decades ago, Rote Jr proved to be the star of American star athletes when he captured the Superstars TV competition three out of four years. He entered the competition as the best-known US soccer player in a sport that was desperate for publicity and left it in 1977 as a household name.

“It couldn’t have happened to a nicer person,” said former Dallas Tornado goalkeeper Kenny Cooper, his one-time teammate and roommate.

Or to a more desperate sport and league looking for some exposure.

“All of a sudden he had a name ... as a Superstar,” Cooper said in a recent interview. “It helped catapult the game to different level. It helped the league, [North American Soccer League]. It helped everybody.”

It also helped Rote Jr’s bank account. He earned $185,000 for his Superstars hat-trick triumph, a pretty tidy sum in those days, especially for a poorly paid soccer player.

Rote Jr has never been confused a self-promoting, bombastic personality, but rather a man filled with humility, who understood his strengths and weaknesses. He knew his place on the Tornado.

“I could do a few things well,” he said. “I’m not a Maradona-type guy. Don’t give me the ball 30 yards out and ask me to beat four players and do something magical.”

His magic was to make the ball disappear behind opposing goalkeepers, becoming the first modern American soccer star, leading the NASL in scoring while earning Rookie of the Year honors in 1973.
Advertisement

In many respects, Rote Jr was destined to do big things in sports, although most observers probably felt it would be in the American gridiron version of football. After all, he was the son of legendary New York Giants wide receiver Kyle Rote and the cousin once removed former NFL quarterback Tobin Rote, who starred for the Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions, San Diego Chargers and Denver Broncos.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/f ... -superstar
dcpony
All-American

Re: Guardian: The Forgotten Story of Kyle Rote Jr.

Postby Rayburn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:00 pm

My father recruited Kyle Jr. for Kansas. He wound up at Oklahoma State. Terrific person.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Paladin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Saw him several times around the SMU campus during those years, and once ran into him at Doak Walker's Sporting Goods store that used to be on Lovers Lane. Seemed like a very likable athlete.

Also remember watching Superstars and seeing Smokin' Joe Frazier almost drown in the swimming event because he obviously couldn't swim...
Paladin
All-American

Postby NTXCoog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:22 pm

I watched him play for the Tornado several times at Ownby when I was a kid. Greater than zero chance I have his autograph and other collectibles from that era somewhere in my house.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:25 pm

That's what I remember too. The Dallas Tornado.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NTXCoog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:59 pm

ponyboy wrote:That's what I remember too. The Dallas Tornado.

That and the Super Stars wins. I loved that show and I think it shocked the announcers that a soccer player was the most all-around athletic competitor on the show.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:51 pm

NTXCoog wrote:I watched him play for the Tornado several times at Ownby when I was a kid. Greater than zero chance I have his autograph and other collectibles from that era somewhere in my house.

I loved watching soccer games at Ownby as a kid. It was a much better experience than Texas Stadium.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lwjr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:19 pm

Watched Pele and the Comos play the Tornado at Ownby.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jimhagle » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:32 pm

I played baseball with him at Highland Park. Really nice guy. He ended up at tiny Sewanee college in Tennessee playing soccer ultimately.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby shadowman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:50 am

Digetydog wrote:
NTXCoog wrote:I watched him play for the Tornado several times at Ownby when I was a kid. Greater than zero chance I have his autograph and other collectibles from that era somewhere in my house.

I loved watching soccer games at Ownby as a kid. It was a much better experience than Texas Stadium.

Such good times, Kyle Rote Jr., Bobby Moffett, Ken Cooper. I remember before school every morning getting up to watch slam bang theater because of "Bobby Moffet's Soccer Locker", he had a little 5 minute piece in between cartoons where he gave some soccer tips.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:40 am

shadowman wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

Such good times, Kyle Rote Jr., Bobby Moffett, Ken Cooper. I remember before school every morning getting up to watch slam bang theater because of "Bobby Moffet's Soccer Locker", he had a little 5 minute piece in between cartoons where he gave some soccer tips.

When I was a little kid, I used to watch "Soccer Made in Germany" on PBS. Being a dim bulb, I still remember being confused about how they could fit a 90 minute game into a 60 minute timeslot (editing) or how they ran off/on he pitch for halftime in 10 seconds. :-)
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKris89 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:33 am

I was a big Tornado fan. and Yep, I remember the Slam Bang Theater with Bobby Moffat's Soccer Locker.

We had a lot of fun at Ownby for those games.

I also especially remember going to a Tornado game against I believe, the Los Angeles Aztecs.
The special Promo that night was that Elton John would be there. Well,
Of course he never showed (I am sure all the adults knew better), but as a 9 or 10 year old, I was disappointed!!
But guess who showed up at halftime to the save the day!!!

ELTON RAY!!!! (Crazy Ray, from the Dallas Cowboys, dressed up in glitter and big crazy glasses). For the Dallas Tornado games, he always wore a big top hat with a water faucet on the front of hat.

Check this out old Dallas Tornado fans... http://www.redcardclothing.com/dallas-t ... etro-1978/
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Sewanee Stang » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 am

He is a legend at Sewanee.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Return to Football