PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN - Best G5 jobs

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ESPN - Best G5 jobs

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 pm

JUST MISSED THE CUT
SMU
It took SMU 20 years to make another bowl game following the death penalty handed down by the NCAA in 1987, but it's a program under first-year coach Chad Morris that's showing real signs of coming back to life in the talent-rich state of Texas.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... tball-jobs
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: ESPN - Best G5 jobs

Postby coloradoStang » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:32 pm

another mention of UH to the big 12
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:33 pm

The tallest midgets in CFB are in Idaho and Utah, go figure.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 pm

coloradoStang wrote:another mention of UH to the big 12

ESPN was behind all of the realignment. If ESPN wants it to happen. it'll happen :(
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby coloradoStang » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:00 pm

blackoutpony wrote:

ESPN was behind all of the realignment. If ESPN wants it to happen. it'll happen :(

yep Im worried that an espn writer just mentioned that. of course they do need a partner
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:03 pm

coloradoStang wrote:yep Im worried that an espn writer just mentioned that. of course they do need a partner

The Big 12 would have about 18 members right now if they expanded every time one of ESPNs writers mentioned a school as a candidate.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Dukie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:13 pm

sbsmith wrote:
coloradoStang wrote:yep Im worried that an espn writer just mentioned that. of course they do need a partner

The Big 12 would have about 18 members right now if they expanded every time one of ESPNs writers mentioned a school as a candidate.

I agree. It's indirectly driven by ESPN, in that schools/conferences are trying to figure out how best to maximize their ESPN and other TV contracts; and in some cases made decisions based directly on ESPN feedback. But it's mainly driven by schools.

One thing I have been thinking about - a major factor in prying Maryland from the ACC to the Big "Ten" is that Maryland's current university leadership has deep ties to that conference, starting with UMd President Wallace Loh. If Turner were ever to step down, I would hope that the search would go beyond the traditional fundraising prowess and look also to the candidates' key conference relationships (PAC 12? ACC?).
Dukie
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Dukie wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

I agree. It's indirectly driven by ESPN, in that schools/conferences are trying to figure out how best to maximize their ESPN and other TV contracts; and in some cases made decisions based directly on ESPN feedback. But it's mainly driven by schools.

One thing I have been thinking about - a major factor in prying Maryland from the ACC to the Big "Ten" is that Maryland's current university leadership has deep ties to that conference, starting with UMd President Wallace Loh. If Turner were ever to step down, I would hope that the search would go beyond the traditional fundraising prowess and look also to the candidates' key conference relationships (PAC 12? ACC?).

Boston College's AD, who was on the ACC expansion committee, came out and said the ESPN literally picked the teams in realignment. He subsequently got in trouble and had to retract his statements.

“We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do.’’
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:07 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Boston College's AD, who was on the ACC expansion committee, came out and said the ESPN literally picked the teams in realignment. He subsequently got in trouble and had to retract his statements.

“We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do.’’

Yes, I recall that, and it's what I meant to refer to about schools and conferences sometimes acting on direct input from ESPN. That's more likely to be the case with a weaker P5 conference (the ACC circa 2012) facing decisions that don't have highly clear-cut TV-market decision points (will Syracuse or UConn bring more TV sets?).
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:34 pm

:lol: consider the source
Bergermeister

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Dukie wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:Boston College's AD, who was on the ACC expansion committee, came out and said the ESPN literally picked the teams in realignment. He subsequently got in trouble and had to retract his statements.

Yes, I recall that, and it's what I meant to refer to about schools and conferences sometimes acting on direct input from ESPN. That's more likely to be the case with a weaker P5 conference (the ACC circa 2012) facing decisions that don't have highly clear-cut TV-market decision points (will Syracuse or UConn bring more TV sets?).

Yeah. When the ACC first broached the idea with Pitt and Syracuse, they told them to go [deleted] themselves. Then ESPN execs showed up on campus days later, and kumbya the Big East is dead.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 am

blackoutpony wrote:
Dukie wrote:

Yeah. When the ACC first broached the idea with Pitt and Syracuse, they told them to go [deleted] themselves. Then ESPN execs showed up on campus days later, and kumbya the Big East is dead.

Wow, that's not remotely true. Everyone in the then-remaining Big East (this is pre-SMU) was desperate for the ACC lifeline, including those who came but also Cincinnatti and UConn.
Dukie
Heisman

Return to Football