PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Alternate Helmet: American Flag

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Alternate Helmet: American Flag

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:59 pm

smupony94 wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Wow, new coach does something cool that gets national pub and recruits like and the code police are out. I guess you should tell that to Navy when they put the flag on their uniform. You know the coach will have some old school haters that would like to see the school in 1920 helmets. Unreal.

We need more old white guys giving us fashion advice

Good one. :lol:
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:00 am

i think we should go with black socks and sandals.
gostangs

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:00 am

smupony94 wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Wow, new coach does something cool that gets national pub and recruits like and the code police are out. I guess you should tell that to Navy when they put the flag on their uniform. You know the coach will have some old school haters that would like to see the school in 1920 helmets. Unreal.

We need more old white guys giving us fashion advice

And yes, I would love to see everyone playing in leather helmets. How fashion forward would that be...surely to excite your 50 shades of hate mind.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 am

gostangs wrote:i think we should go with black socks and sandals.

Finally!
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 am

Puckhead48E wrote:

Slow your roll there, skillet. Don't think it should be done period across the board, and would prefer Texas flag on the helmet, but it's not like I am going to boycott the team if they wear it. Stating an opinion. Now, complaining that the United States Naval Academy is wearing a flag on their official uniform...well...really? If we really wanted to have fun, could point out that as a uniform item for a DoD representative organization, you could read those uniforms as expressly approved by the text of §176 subsection J...you know, the second sentence.

Either way, just a few people saying they thought other options might look better or be better in their eyes. Heaven forbid you get offended by that! Oh, and it is most definitely a US Code violation...but there is no punishment for violating that code.

I think the Navy unis look good. You are the one complaining about it being on a uniform. I just pointed out that Navy has it on their unis and they don't seem to think it is a code violation. I think CCM is in the right. I would not be surprised if we wore them during the Navy game.

#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:13 am

I'm just pointing out that they don't have a flag as part of their uniform, only a sticker on the back of their helmet. They have ship or squadron patches on their sleeves sometimes(usually when they play Army you see more of this, with the seniors patches often being where they might want to go post graduation). All of that color and flag in the picture you posted is the Navy Jack...not the flag.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:17 am

And helmet.

#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby 3rdGenPony » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:21 am

I agree that the Texas flag would be better. The stated focus is recruiting Texas, and if that is the case we need to "out Texas" everyone as much as possible. That being said, I think think it looks REALLY good, is in good taste and patriotic.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:23 am

Rebel10 wrote:And helmet.

Dude...that is the Navy Jack! Flown on the bow while moored or inport...while the ensign is flown from the stern. You can tell this by, well, the freaking snake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_of_the_United_States#mediaviewer/File:Naval_Jack_of_the_United_States.svg
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Oliver » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:14 am

That Navy helmet is unreal, so sweet
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby Oliver » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:18 am

If I have any complaint whatsoever, and maybe I'm seeing this wrong, it seems the Mustang sticker is placed a tad but high on the side of the helmet, could be a touch more centered...
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby lwjr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:27 am

For me the Mustang is difficult to see on the dark blue matte.
But my 16 year old thinks the helmets are really "cool". I guess that is part of the age group these type of alternate helmets/uniforms are targeting
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby TidePony » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:30 am

The kids I'm around (17 year olds) love it!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:45 am

gostangs wrote:its not a flag violation.

Mainly because it is not a flag. It is a runnin' 'stang with stars and stripes on it.
Bergermeister

Postby friarwolf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 am

We play in the "American" athletic conference - not the Texas athletic conference......
friarwolf
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football