PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FLANIGAN NAMED LAMAR QUARTERBACKS COACH

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:31 am

RAMON FLANIGAN TO TAKE OVER YOUTHFUL CROP OF QUARTERBACKS IN 2015

GO CARDINALS

Feb. 25, 2015

BEAUMONT, Texas - Ramon Flanigan has been hired as an assistant coach, and will work with the quarterbacks announced Lamar head coach Ray Woodard Wednesday afternoon. Flanigan fills the gap left by former assistant Larry Kueck who announced his retirement prior to the start of spring camp.

"Ramon is a good fit for our program," said head coach Ray Woodard. "Having both played and coached the position, he knows what those guys are going through on the field, what they see and think. His experience and knowledge at the position will be invaluable to us.

"It was very important that we move quickly and get someone in here since we're entering camp with two new quarterbacks. We are very fortunate that the timing worked out. He is going to be a great fit," added Woodard.

A coaching veteran with more than 16 years coaching experience, Flanigan comes to Beaumont after a two-year stint as the head coach at Lincoln University. Flanigan's stop at Lincoln came following a coaching internship with the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

Prior to Flanigan's stop in the NFL he spent three seasons at Mississippi Valley State, where he served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. During his time in Itta Bena, Miss., Flanigan helped turn around a struggling Delta Devils program. MVSU defeated the reigning conference champions in his second season, and posted their best record in six seasons the following year.

Flanigan's impact at MVSU was seen almost immediately. The Delta Devils cut their number of sacks by more than half, finished tied for first in the SWAC in turnover margin - after finishing next to last the previous season - and produced the league's top receiver in terms of yards per catch.

Flanigan went to MVSU after spending two seasons in the high school ranks. Prior to that he served as the offensive coordinator at North Texas under head coach Darrell Dickey. Flanigan's coaching career began at UNT in 1999 where he worked with the Mean Green receivers. The following season he was moved to quarterbacks, before being promoted to offensive coordinator in 2002. During his time as offensive coordinator, UNT went through one of the most successful runs in Sun Belt Conference history. The Mean Green won four-straight league titles, made four New Orleans Bowl appearances and produced some of the league's top talent.

Flanigan steps into a unique situation with the Cardinals. With the graduation of the school's all-time leading passer, and the team's two returning quarterbacks having transferred, Lamar will be going through spring camp with two transfers on scholarship (Joe Minden/Stephen F. Austin and Carson Earp/Navarro College).

-LAMAR-

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m- ... 15aaa.html
"THE SMU BLVD - - NO PLACE ELSE" (retired)
Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans
Heisman

Re: FLANIGAN NAMED LAMAR QUARTERBACKS COACH

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:34 am

Ramon Flanigan (FACEBOOK)

2/27/15 - 35 mins ago · Lamar University ·

"Since I guess the secret is officially out, I want to thank all of the amazing players, staff, alumni and fans of The Lincoln University for allowing me to have the honor of representing them as their head football coach. It was a dream come true for me and I will always cherish the wonderful memories that were made during my time with the Lions. The great thing about my career is the lifelong friends that I am able to make at each stop along this journey. I have moved locations and my friendship with those who I call friends doesn't end simply because I change colors of a uniform. I feel so lucky to have had a chance to serve some of the best young men in the country and I owe this opportunity to the hard work and dedication that they showed in all areas of our program."
"THE SMU BLVD - - NO PLACE ELSE" (retired)
Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 am

Hopefully his QB's don't have to run for their lives on the field like he did back when he was playing for SMU.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BIGHORSE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Good for him, we might have him back on the Hilltop a few years from now.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby jimhagle » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:29 pm

He was a joy to watch as he put up big numbers all the while scrambling for his life much of the time. I never understood why Rossley left so little protection for him. Congrats Ramon!
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:54 pm

good for him...back in Texas
Charleston Pony

Postby Arkpony » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Good move for a good man!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:30 pm

One of my all-time favorites. I hope he does well!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Football