PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Patterson to go to Alabama to study their recruiting

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Patterson to go to Alabama to study their recruiting

Postby leopold » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:25 pm

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/big12/2015 ... ecruiting/

Say whatever you want about our biggest rival's coach, there is a reason the man has been so successful. It would have been nice to see other coaches *cough cough* show some effort.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Patterson to go to Alabama to study their recruiting

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:26 pm

He is lucky Alabama is still helping them.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:43 pm

He is dong a smart thing. Coach Morris has Clemson's bacckground and knows Coach Malzahn and Coach Freeze well. Not to mention Coach Morris is already a high caliber recruiter.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:46 pm

There are a few select programs that stand above all in terms of recruiting prowess and whether that is from tradition, history or other intangibles Alabama is one of those programs and has a lot of those elements that makes it a unique value proposition for the top recruits (plus it doesn't compete with professional programs and is very academically friendly).

Fatterson can go there all he wants but it really won't help. Tcu will bring in 3stars with a few occasional four Stars. That is what we can aspire to as well. They coach up players and there's nothing wrong with that. It is a compliment he has competed at this level and ranked where they were with sub par talent compared to the big boys
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby leopold » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, I get that 'bama is bama. But to say that going to learn from Saban won't help is, I think, flat out wrong.

And for the record, that coughing isn't towards Morris.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:There are a few select programs that stand above all in terms of recruiting prowess and whether that is from tradition, history or other intangibles Alabama is one of those programs and has a lot of those elements that makes it a unique value proposition for the top recruits (plus it doesn't compete with professional programs and is very academically friendly).

Fatterson can go there all he wants but it really won't help. Tcu will bring in 3stars with a few occasional four Stars. That is what we can aspire to as well. They coach up players and there's nothing wrong with that. It is a compliment he has competed at this level and ranked where they were with sub par talent compared to the big boys

Let's hope HCCM can do as well as Patterson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Digetydog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:46 am

leopold wrote:Well, I get that 'bama is bama. But to say that going to learn from Saban won't help is, I think, flat out wrong.

And for the record, that coughing isn't towards Morris.

I am hoping that this is some sort of "pre-interview" for when Saban eventually retires. Networking!!! :D

Without Fatterson, who knows how long the Frogs can stay at/near the top of the Big 12.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RedRiverPony » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:52 am

I don't see TCU as Alabama's equal. That's just my opinion, but I just don't. But I realize the Froggies are on everyone's top 10 list, and if they really are close to that top tier, why would Saban allow Patterson do this? It's one thing for Big Bad Bama to say they're trying to help the little guy and invite Delaware State or someone to come in and observe, but if TCU is even a remotely legitimate threat, why share recruiting secrets/techniques? What if they meet in a bowl game one day and Alabama loses because of the performance of players they indirectly helped TCU recruit?

Maybe Saban is a better man than I am, and maybe it's because I just hate TCU. (Apparently it's both.) But if I were Saban, a competing school would not be welcome to make this trip.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Even with Patterson, TCU will be dropping down a few notches in the next year or so. Teams almost always revert to the mathematical recruiting mean - and several of the big 12 schools recruit at a higher level than TCU. Baylor is below TCU even, so it will be interesting to see how long then can hang at the top. I would expect some changes very soon.
gostangs

Postby geno » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:30 pm

gostangs wrote:Even with Patterson, TCU will be dropping down a few notches in the next year or so. Teams almost always revert to the mathematical recruiting mean - and several of the big 12 schools recruit at a higher level than TCU. Baylor is below TCU even, so it will be interesting to see how long then can hang at the top. I would expect some changes very soon.

You wish?
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby froglicious » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Alabama is hosting our staff (not GP) in response to our hosting their OC, Kiffin, and his father a couple weeks ago. They wanted to discuss our offense and how it was so successful especially against an opponent that held them in check (ole Miss).

Pretty cool. There is a good rumor it may lead to an OOC Game at jerryland in the future. Worst case is we learn nothing. Can't hurt though. Pretty darn good company to affiliate with.

Edit: oh! I have to say Gostang is consistent.
froglicious
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:24 pm

This is pretty common in the coaching field. I bet Chad Morris has done the same and vice-versa
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Return to Football