PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Notre Dame OL transferring

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Notre Dame OL transferring

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Although it's easy to rip on the OL based on last year's horrendous performance, I think they will be much improved this year. A full offseason of an actual S&C program and learning from an actual coaching staff should help tremendously. Not saying they're going to be the second coming of The Hogs from the 80s but I expect them to be much improved over last season
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:32 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Although it's easy to rip on the OL based on last year's horrendous performance, I think they will be much improved this year. A full offseason of an actual S&C program and learning from an actual coaching staff should help tremendously. Not saying they're going to be the second coming of The Hogs from the 80s but I expect them to be much improved over last season

I hope you're right, but still......

BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:45 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Although it's easy to rip on the OL based on last year's horrendous performance, I think they will be much improved this year. A full offseason of an actual S&C program and learning from an actual coaching staff should help tremendously. Not saying they're going to be the second coming of The Hogs from the 80s but I expect them to be much improved over last season

God I hope you are correct. If we can get to AAC "average" in OL play, I think we will win more games than people expect.

BTW - I suspect that the new offense is going to have blocking schemes that "help" the OL rather than expose it. The RnS did the OL no favors.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Digetydog wrote:BTW - I suspect that the new offense is going to have blocking schemes that "help" the OL rather than expose it. The RnS did the OL no favors.

Agreed. I also expect to see a lot of screens, jet sweeps, and read option plays which keep defenses honest instead of just pinning their ears back and attacking the QB
East Coast Mustang

Postby Junior » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:07 pm

how would you guys rate him compared to, say...a Stavion Lowe?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Junior wrote:how would you guys rate him compared to, say...a Stavion Lowe?

Well, he started for ND last year. I dont think Lowe ever started a game for LSU
East Coast Mustang

Postby dirtysouthpony » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:26 pm

This guy started for ND. He could come in right away and anchor the middle of the line. It would be worth a scholly to try to win now.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:02 pm

blackout is right on this one. anything that gives our QB a bit more time, or a bit better hole for whatever RB we have out there (probably a very young one) will be a help. And it definitely matters to get a few more wins early. Morris needs to show progress to get the recruit buy in on a program about to take off. 1-11 again would not get that done. So yes - win loss record will matter somewhat. No idea if he is even considering us, but it would be worth one scholy for one year in that particular position.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:16 pm

don't hold your breath for this guy or any other Graduate 1 year transfer
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:46 am

I'm certainly not holding my breath for this guy, but the best possible outcome for this team IMO is if we start a true redshirt freshman, and if that indeed is the case, the best path for his development is if he has a good OL. Not 2 or 3 years from now, but next season.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonyFan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:32 pm

The offensive line was a lot better toward the end of the season last year than at the start. I don't know how much was because Coach Davis arrived and started teaching some of the drills, how much was the fact that the players got better, how much was the fact that Baylor and A&M weren't on the schedule at the end of the year. Some of each, I expect. But I also expect to see a much better line. Without knowing anything about Coach Fry, maybe that's fair and maybe it's not. But it seemed like they underachieved at the start of last year. Hopefully the improvement starts in the trenches.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:35 pm

they underachieved because they played better teams early. THey will look better this year because we will have better (but younger) talent in the skill spots. We need all the help we can get on the line if the opportunity is there.
gostangs

Postby jimhagle » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Our offensive line play improved later in the season? Really? They had nowhere to go but up and I frankly didn't see any improvement at all except the competition was far weaker.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:04 am

jimhagle wrote:Our offensive line play improved later in the season? Really? They had nowhere to go but up and I frankly didn't see any improvement at all except the competition was far weaker.

Sadly, I agree. There's just not a lot of upside there. Here's hoping Morris, craddock, and fry find some big boys in this next class.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:09 am

This guy's sister plays volleyball at SMU

http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/w-vol ... 49549.html
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football