PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Notre Dame OL transferring

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Notre Dame OL transferring

Postby leopold » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:36 am

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ting-irish

A bit of a strectch, but the kid is graduating this may and will be immediately eligible. Is being passed over in the rotation by younger kids and wants to play. Originally from New Mexico. His stated dream is to play in the NFL, but is he interested in getting a top-notch graduate degree?
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Notre Dame OL transferring

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:54 am

We need all the OL help we can get. He's a former starter at ND, so he most likely has more skill than any of our current OL
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:08 pm

Management consulting major in the business school at ND. Could come here (which is a lot closer to home), be virtually guaranteed a starting position, and get a great MBA
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:15 pm

He would be an immediate upgrade at guard and maybe even at center. It's not like Lasecki was all that great last year, and he's much better than Brown or McCarty would be at guard.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:51 pm

Not the year to take a graduate transfer
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:55 pm

I remember Lasecki being driven back into the qb on numerous occasions, or else getting blown into the backfield, destroying a simple running play.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:58 pm

Stallion wrote:Not the year to take a graduate transfer

Because we still need attrition and everyone wants a shot with the new staff?
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:08 pm

Not sure what you mean, Stallion. This guy started every game for Notre Dame last year, he would immediately upgrade our OL. It's not like Ashcraft at Texas who barely saw the field for them before transferring here

Whether or not he would want to finish his collegiate career on a team coming off of a 1-11 season is another question, though
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:09 pm

He could also give us the opportunity to redshirt one (or both) of Morris' 2015 OL recruits.

Wilds has only played something like two years of football and Bates is around 270 lbs., so both could use a redshirt season
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Checked out his Twitter...he recently followed the Oklahoma and Northwestern OL coaches
East Coast Mustang

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:22 pm

Its crazy not to take a transfer like that if we could get him. Don't get that attitude at all. We have a QB to protect for a bunch of games - you grab any OL upgrade you can get.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:47 pm

you don't use a scholarship on a graduate transfer on a 1-11 team. We are building a program not hoping for the Doritos Bowl. You give this guy a scholarship-that's one less for a young building block. The only way you'd consider it is if he had 2 years. I don't think SMU will sign any 1 graduate transfers
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Stallion wrote:you don't use a scholarship on a graduate transfer on a 1-11 team. We are building a program not hoping for the Doritos Bowl. You give this a scholarship-that's one less for a young building block. The only way you'd consider it is if he had 2 years. I don't think SMU will sign any 1 graduate transfers

Agree.

Last year, our OL play early in the year may have been the worst in CFB history during the "Facemask Era". With a new OL coach hired by Mason, they improved to "well below average" until the Uconn game when they were "adequate." Individually, there were no bright spots to fall back on. At some point, I would bet every SMU fan (and probably every offensive coach) had the same thought: Isn't there somebody better than "that guy" available?

Truth: the OL play could improve significantly next and still not be adequate. While the starters will probably get first shot at the OL under Morris, NOBODY is a lock to start. Adding 1 guy for 1 year to the mix would just set back the total rebuild that is needed.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:01 pm

Stallion wrote:you don't use a scholarship on a graduate transfer on a 1-11 team. We are building a program not hoping for the Doritos Bowl. You give this guy a scholarship-that's one less for a young building block. The only way you'd consider it is if he had 2 years. I don't think SMU will sign any 1 graduate transfers

Well getting to the "Doritos Bowl" in year 1 at 6-6 would give our young players about 12-15 extra practices which is huge. If we're talking grad transfers at other positions I would likely say no because it would be more advantageous to let the young guys get experience, but we only signed three OL - one was a June Stage 5 Clinger and the other two could both use a RS year. And our OL was awful last year
East Coast Mustang

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Normally, i'd agreed with Stallion here, like I agree with not going the JUCO route, but here is why I think this is an instance where it would be beneficial (not that I think we're getting him).

1. They all looked so bad last year, I'm not sure any of them can actually play. I'm not worried about stunting the development of a few guys who might not start on FCS teams.
2. Our QB's got destroyed last year. If we can reduce their aches, pains, and potentially blown out knees by 20% for a year, and give QB a better chance to develop, I'm all for it.
3. It would be ideal if we can redshirt Morris 2 Oline recruits to let them get some size and time in the system (I don't think McNeil is anywhere near and FBS player, so whatever on him).
4. Having someone on your team who competed for a national championship two years ago could be very beneficial to a bunch of guys coming off a 1-11 season. it would be nice to have someone who's been around winning to mentor some of our young pups.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football