PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN interview with Coach Chad Morris

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN interview with Coach Chad Morris

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:59 pm

#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: DMN interview with Coach Chad Morris

Postby Top Twenty » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Wake me up.

I surely must be dreaming.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:49 am

Glad we have Coach Morris.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby PonyFan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:23 pm

Great column. Goose is one of the most respected football writers in the country. If he buys in to what's going on at SMU, that's extremely encouraging.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:07 pm

He's certainly a respected NFL writer but he's proven before that he's clueless about SMU. Maybe Morris will educate him.

Recall this laughable puff piece

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/column ... to-win.ece
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby BIGHORSE » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:18 pm

Sounds like Coach Morris made sure Turner was on the same page first.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:32 pm

There's a lot to be said in that statement, BigHorse. And, not to defend mediocrity, but do you really call a school that in the last six seasons was 36-41 with three bowl wins "one of the worst programs in the country"?
ponyboy

Postby GreenbeltPony » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:47 pm

ponyboy wrote:There's a lot to be said in that statement, BigHorse. And, not to defend mediocrity, but do you really call a school that in the last six seasons was 36-41 with three bowl wins "one of the worst programs in the country"?

We are one of the worst programs in the country until Coach Morris can prove otherwise. You can't look to the past six seasons; there's been a lot of player turnover and he-who-shall-not-be-named left us with an empty cupboard. Our record and results from last season speak for themselves.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm sorry. Maybe you didn't read what I wrote. Let me try again.

In the last SIX SEASONS, we made FOUR BOWL APPEARANCES, compiling THREE BOWL WINS.

That is not evidence of being "one of the worst programs in the country." It just isn't.

Back to the hate parade.
ponyboy

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:09 pm

That makes us a program with one of the worst result last year. Not one of the worst programs. Big difference. This place is nothing but huge potential. Morris is going to look like a genius for doing what almost anyone but June could have figured out.

That said - he is the right guy and has a special combination of things that will speed up this process.
Last edited by gostangs on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gostangs

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:10 pm

Agreed, though I'm not certain that many could have done what June did in turning this thing around. Morris is the perfect next step.
ponyboy

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:21 pm

No this place has been ready to take off-in comparison to other non BCS schools-since June was hired in 2008. June did HALF his job and he got us 3 bowl wins and 4 bowls. Is there any fan on the SMU planet-after watching how hard Larry Brown and Morris work in recruiting -that now doesn't recognize what was missing? It should be crystal clear
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:28 pm

SMU was 51-163 from 1989 until the time JJ stepped on campus, good for #113 out of 117 teams during that period.

So you're telling me that just anyone could have just shown up in 2008 and taken us to four bowl games in six years? Interesting argument.
ponyboy

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Wow. Using SMU's pre-2008 record as some kind of justification for June's record here is laughable, sad, and ignorant. Trying to compare the SMU environment of 1990 Ken Pye and SWC to what June had the luxury of dealing with is literally insane.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby GreenbeltPony » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:00 pm

GreenbeltPony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:There's a lot to be said in that statement, BigHorse. And, not to defend mediocrity, but do you really call a school that in the last six seasons was 36-41 with three bowl wins "one of the worst programs in the country"?

We are one of the worst programs in the country until Coach Morris can prove otherwise. You can't look to the past six seasons; there's been a lot of player turnover and he-who-shall-not-be-named left us with an empty cupboard. Our record and results from last season speak for themselves.

Quoted myself for emphasis. Just for the record, I'm not a doom-and-gloomer. I think Coach Morris was the perfect fit for us considering all of the circumstances and I think he'll have a great deal of success. He's already winning recruiting battles.

Ever since the 2011 ASU fiasco, the previous coach essentially undid all of whatever progress he might have made during the first 2-3 years of his stint here. He left the program in a very poor state. A number of posters here, including myself, hope to reach 3 Ws this coming season and then possibly 5-6 wins the season after that. How can you say with a straight face that we're, at the moment, not one of the "worst programs?" I'm not including considerations such as our history or future potential, just simply taking a relatively objective look at our current numbers.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Next

Return to Football