PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How are our players reacting

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How are our players reacting

Postby Grider » Tue Jun 26, 2001 9:57 am

I have a feeling they're taking this better than some of us, but I was just wondering how the players are handeling this on again off again BCA junk. I'm personally tired of it, and ready to concentrate on beating LaTech. Get em pumped Diesel! Go ponies!!! (wimpy nickname?!?!?!)

P.S. <to mustang mom and ole jim> Thanks for the congrats.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Re: How are our players reacting

Postby PK » Tue Jun 26, 2001 11:34 am

Don't know about the players, but I think it sucks big time! I don't understand what's going on here. OK, so it wasn't going to be national exposure. Did the $600,000 go away too? If not then we have some loose screws out there. Our budget could have used that money and even regional coverage in the midwest as well as the southwest is more exposure than we are getting now. I don't understand this at all. Somebody enlighten me here...please!

OK, I'm going to have to update this post...my comments above were based upon Copeland's announcement as presented in the DMN. I have since read a post on the KSU board that states basically that the BCA folks walked out on us. They are now going to have BYU and Tulane playing in their "bowl." Evidently ESPN just loves that match up...it's at times like this that I'm glad I don't have cable service!!

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-26-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: How are our players reacting

Postby PonyExpress » Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:19 pm

I think it sucks, too. I have some cousins who live in Kansas City, and I was planning a trip to see them around the game. You're right, the loss of the TV exposure hurts, but there was a good chance we were going to get killed -- meaning the exposure wouldn't have been so hot. If you're a recruit at home watching a game, and one team is getting pounded, what makes you rush out and sign with that team? Don't say I'm being a downer here -- I have as much faith in our boys as anyone, maybe too much at times (last year I bought into the spring hype and predicted 8 wins -- oops). But eliminating this game, plus the fact that TCU is going to fall off a lot this year, means we won't get smoked by anyone this year. Not saying (yet) that we're going to beat everyone, but the whippings won't happen this year.

Unless, of course, we deliver the whippings! (Uh oh, there I go again....)
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Return to Football