PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Selective enforcement at OU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Selective enforcement at OU

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:47 pm

I think Stephen Jones may be the same guy who represented Timothy McVeigh. That didn't go so well. All kidding aside, I think that there are some innocent kids who have been caught up in this mess and I am don't approve of blanket condemnation of everyone because of the behavior of a few.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby smudubs » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:29 pm

I have to admit that this entire thread has been entertaining to say the least. Two affluent Dallas kids lead a booze inspired racist chant and people don't see the SMU connection. These are the very type of kids who come to SMU. I've posted my experiences at SMU many times on this and other boards. Racism is real. It happens all over the country--even at SMU. My wife is a professor at a local college and just yesterday she called me because she heard other faculty members openly making racists remarks.

I won't get into the free speech arguments because it is not my area of law and I don't feel like doing research to address those points, but our speech is censored daily. I want to say "[deleted] happens," but I know the moderators will delete "[deleted]." Charge it to the game.

It's funny because last week my son received a letter from OU advising him he could attend for free and get a stipend of $5,000 per year. That same day he received letters from Michigan and Yale encouraging him to apply. There are a number of reasons my son will not attend OU or SMU for that matter, but racism isn't one of them. He did not say that he wouldn't attend OU because of what happened. He simply said he wouldn't pledge SAE. I share that because open minded African Americans understand that this crap happens everywhere. But I'm in the minority on this issue because I applaud the SAE's for making their feelings known openly. If my son were planning to attend OU at least he knows one organization to avoid.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby Mestengo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:29 pm

" Oh Hell no." I'm quoting mom 8-)
Last edited by Mestengo on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smudubs » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:08 am

Mestengo wrote:" Oh Hell no." I'm quoting mom 8-)

Mama actually said "Naw Naw Hell Naw!" But that was a long time ago.

And I had to come back to this because I was talking to my wife about this mess and she confessed something I never knew. We were at the SAE tent tailgating and having a good time. She was talking to one of her former students who, coincidentally, was a Jesuit grad and he suggested I go get a beer. Apparently when I left to get a beer one of the SAE's asked what that "N" was doing there.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby Mestengo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:17 pm

I've been called a few names myself
I just don't care what people think .
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:43 pm

If this is true, the SMU SAE chapter made need to consider disassociating themselves from Nationals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grad ... hip-event/

After investigating a racist chant sung by Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity brothers on their way to an SAE Founders Day event, University of Oklahoma officials have concluded that members of the fraternity learned the words at a leadership event hosted by SAE’s national headquarters four years earlier.

The university found that the chant migrated to Oklahoma and had become “part of the institutionalized culture of the chapter” and its pledging process, implying that it was not a song belonging to a small number of people and instead was part of the fraternity’s recent traditions.

The university’s report also said that as part of the chapter’s typical recruitment process, a dozen high school students had been invited to the event on March 7 and had joined fraternity members on the bus, where the chant erupted. Many of the students were drinking before the event, the report claims.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby coloradoStang » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:11 pm

Digetydog wrote:If this is true, the SMU SAE chapter made need to consider disassociating themselves from Nationals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grad ... hip-event/

After investigating a racist chant sung by Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity brothers on their way to an SAE Founders Day event, University of Oklahoma officials have concluded that members of the fraternity learned the words at a leadership event hosted by SAE’s national headquarters four years earlier.

The university found that the chant migrated to Oklahoma and had become “part of the institutionalized culture of the chapter” and its pledging process, implying that it was not a song belonging to a small number of people and instead was part of the fraternity’s recent traditions.

The university’s report also said that as part of the chapter’s typical recruitment process, a dozen high school students had been invited to the event on March 7 and had joined fraternity members on the bus, where the chant erupted. Many of the students were drinking before the event, the report claims.

a little bit misleading. I bet they learned it from other leaders their own age. Probably a presidents summit where all the presidents or officers of each chapter came together for education. I highly doubt the adults in the room leading the learning sessions taught the chant. Much more likely that a kid at another chapter told a kid at the OU chapter. Obviously still really bad but I don't think it is being portrayed accurately.
coloradoStang
All-American

Previous

Return to Football