PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Selective enforcement at OU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Selective enforcement at OU

Postby gostangs » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:21 pm

topper - i believe there are rights of free association laws that protect private groups. The fraternity is recognized by the University but accepts no money from them - therefore there are no discrimination laws being broken. It is not a government group. Same thing with african american fraternities - they can let in who they want to.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Rayburn wrote:If they want to enroll at SMU, let them. My God, all they did was sing a naughty song. I sang worse when I played Rugby.

Just curious as to what song did you sing that was worse than a racist song with a reference to lynchings (ie murder)?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smustatesman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:45 pm

It was a song about Anita Hill molesting Thomas when she Taught Law at OU
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:26 pm

One bus. How many OU SAE members actually took part in this :?:

Looks like a big frat house to me with maybe 100+ members.

Looks like a bunch of non-participants got to seek a new residence mid semester, and college
tuition, room, and board ain't cheap now days. Even at state schools :!: Their studies, and
grades will suffer :!:

Knee jerk reaction by President will result in many lawsuits :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:52 pm

PlanoStang wrote:One bus. How many OU SAE members actually took part in this :?:

Looks like a big frat house to me with maybe 100+ members.

Looks like a bunch of non-participants got to seek a new residence mid semester, and college
tuition, room, and board ain't cheap now days. Even at state schools :!: Their studies, and
grades will suffer :!:

Knee jerk reaction by President will result in many lawsuits :!:

I don't think there will be any lawsuits by the SAE's or the 2 young men as the SAE's are investigating other reports of this happening at the colleges.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Maybe the parents of the non-participants will want the tuition, room, and board paid
refunded :!:
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:26 pm

I know we live in a sue happy society but I doubt that it will happen.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:36 pm

Then you mean they will settle out of court, and with possible reinstatement of SAE chapter
without the participants :?: :lol: :lol:
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:51 pm

gostangs wrote:topper - i believe there are rights of free association laws that protect private groups. The fraternity is recognized by the University but accepts no money from them - therefore there are no discrimination laws being broken. It is not a government group. Same thing with african american fraternities - they can let in who they want to.

You may be right but I just read an article in which a Miss. State professor makes the blanket statement that segregated fraternities are illegal, and another article that says they are illegal under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Another one points out that at OU the fraternity house sits on state owned land and is sanctioned to operate by the state run facility which accepts Federal money and therefore is subject to non-discrimination laws. An interesting question. It is also interesting that the civil libertarians are coming to the defense of the two Dallas kids who were expelled. They see it purely as a free speech issue.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby whitwiki » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:49 am

Rayburn wrote:If they want to enroll at SMU, let them. My God, all they did was sing a naughty song. I sang worse when I played Rugby.

But only because they are white, right?
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby NewAgeMustange » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:54 am

But remember if you can play football for OU you can say homophobic slurs and punch women. . . . . that is okay and deserves a second chance.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:35 am

Well SMU could be the place they apply to get their second chance.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby coloradoStang » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Some group called the next generation action network will be protesting at the SAE house tomorrow night
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby skurtn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:19 am

After reading the original issue, I'm trying to understand what this has to do with SMU.
skurtn
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:02 am

Topper wrote:
gostangs wrote:topper - i believe there are rights of free association laws that protect private groups. The fraternity is recognized by the University but accepts no money from them - therefore there are no discrimination laws being broken. It is not a government group. Same thing with african american fraternities - they can let in who they want to.

You may be right but I just read an article in which a Miss. State professor makes the blanket statement that segregated fraternities are illegal, and another article that says they are illegal under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Another one points out that at OU the fraternity house sits on state owned land and is sanctioned to operate by the state run facility which accepts Federal money and therefore is subject to non-discrimination laws. An interesting question. It is also interesting that the civil libertarians are coming to the defense of the two Dallas kids who were expelled. They see it purely as a free speech issue.

It is not just a free speech issue. Two students were expelled and other students were evicted from their homes without any due process.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/1 ... 66062.html
"At a press conference Friday afternoon in Oklahoma, attorney Stephen Jones said a lawsuit based on the school's eviction of the fraternity members is not the "first choice" of the SAE chapter, but is on the table."
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football