PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA Eliminates Immediate Hardship Waivers

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA Eliminates Immediate Hardship Waivers

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:54 pm

ie. the Momma is sick immediate eligibility transfer rule

http://newsok.com/ncaas-elimination-of- ... le/5402617
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: NCAA Eliminates Immediate Hardship Waivers

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Didn't they announce they were doing away with this quite a while ago?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby couch 'em » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Bad for us
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Time to institute the Rydel Rule. Players can transfer from P5 to any school other than another P5 without sitting out a year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby No Quarter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:32 am

Well, I'm glad to know that the NCAA is so interested in the integrity of the P5 structure, oops, the integrity of college sports.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:08 pm

couch 'em wrote:Bad for us

Bad for G5 teams in general. A good amount of P5 players would transfer to G5 schools where they could play immediately and be fairly close to home. Shawnbrey McNeal really helped us when he was cleared to played immediately. This is not about integrity at all but about pandering to G5 coaches that were complaining about losing players to non power conference schools. Now the coaches will have more control over the players because now if they transfer there will be a penalty (sitting out a year) for doing it in any situation now.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby GreenbeltPony » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:36 pm

There are definitely pros and cons of doing away with the rule. On one hand, you get rid of the BS transfers like that one guy who was immediately eligible to play at Oklahoma because of "allergies", while on the other you impact the athletes who truly have family emergencies. In the end, I think the additional year of eligibility is slightly better than immediate eligibility.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:42 pm

GreenbeltPony wrote:On one hand, you get rid of the BS transfers like that one guy who was immediately eligible to play at Oklahoma because of "allergies", while on the other you impact the athletes who truly have family emergencies. In the end, I think the additional year of eligibility is slightly better than immediate eligibility.

If you had a true family emergency, I imagine you'd want to spend the 20+ hours a week with your family rather than practicing/playing a sport.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:07 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
GreenbeltPony wrote:On one hand, you get rid of the BS transfers like that one guy who was immediately eligible to play at Oklahoma because of "allergies", while on the other you impact the athletes who truly have family emergencies. In the end, I think the additional year of eligibility is slightly better than immediate eligibility.

If you had a true family emergency, I imagine you'd want to spend the 20+ hours a week with your family rather than practicing/playing a sport.

That is how I feel too, plus it gets the NCAA out of having to decide which cases gets a waiver so they avoid the bad press when they deny one. I do see how it could hurt schools like us and UH that are located in recruiting hotbeds since the odds say we are more likely to be near a player's relative than schools in places without many recruits though. I do not think this is part of a (the?) grand plan to screw G5 schools though.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:17 pm

would like to see the NCAA allow 6 years to play 4 and eliminate any hardship transfers and medical redshirts. That way, a guy can use that 1st year as a true redshirt year to adjust to college life while continuing to physically develop and could still transfer once (for whatever reason) without losing any eligibility
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:36 am

Of course they can still transfer without restriction to an FCS school. That means more will opt for William & Mary, Delaware, James Madison than SMU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby skurtn » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:would like to see the NCAA allow 6 years to play 4 and eliminate any hardship transfers and medical redshirts. That way, a guy can use that 1st year as a true redshirt year to adjust to college life while continuing to physically develop and could still transfer once (for whatever reason) without losing any eligibility

That's an interesting idea.
skurtn
All-American

Postby smudubs » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:56 pm

CA Mustang wrote:

Depending on your back ground, I would think you would want to take advantage of the educational opportunities afforded with the full scholarship.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:04 pm

smudubs wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

Depending on your back ground, I would think you would want to take advantage of the educational opportunities afforded with the full scholarship.

He is saying you do get the educational opportunities afforded with the full scholarship, you just sit out of completion for the year and potentially get to spend time with your family.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Don't you still practice with the team when you sit out a year like Semi Ojeleye and Jordan Tolbert are doing?
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Next

Return to Football