PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Boulevard Regulations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Boulevard Regulations

Postby Smerkins » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:03 pm

http://totalfratmove.com/smu-is-taking-the-fun-out-of-game-days-demand-more-water-than-alcohol-at-tailgates/

I think this only applies to students, but it looks like the fun police are ready to crackdown.
Smerkins
Varsity

Re: New Boulevard Regulations

Postby SMU SID » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:25 pm

What you see is currently just a proposal by Student Affairs and would only apply to the student Boulevard tents.
SMU SID
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm

SMU SID wrote:What you see is currently just a proposal by Student Affairs and would only apply to the student Boulevard tents.

Sometimes you guys do stuff that is so dumb, it hurts. What on earth is having twice as much water as beer going to do? Are you going to force feed people??? And of course everyone want to hang out with cops the while time. I'm sure that will help blvd attendance. :roll:

This will just drive underage binge drinking underground even more.

SMU - shooting themselves in the foot since 1915
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:18 pm

"The second is that no one really attends the games but we don't care because we have our beloved Boulevard."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........Karma?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby GreenbeltPony » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:19 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
SMU SID wrote:What you see is currently just a proposal by Student Affairs and would only apply to the student Boulevard tents.

Sometimes you guys do stuff that is so dumb, it hurts. What on earth is having twice as much water as beer going to do? Are you going to force feed people??? And of course everyone want to hang out with cops the while time. I'm sure that will help blvd attendance. :roll:

This will just drive underage binge drinking underground even more.

SMU - shooting themselves in the foot since 1915

Agreed.

SMU's approach to alcohol is laughably bad. I understand that there were three alcohol-related deaths in one year (2006? 2007?), but the draconian measures on campus are leading to more and more underground drinking as a result of the fears of receiving AVs or being unable to rush. My favorite memory was seeing a drunk freshman climb out of a taxi in front of McElvaney and try to get back inside when he saw an SMU cop approaching, but he got busted anyway. How dare he be responsible and take a cab back to his dorm!

Rice (another fine private Texas university) does it right. If you want to throw a party in your dorm, the only things you have to do are tell your residential college leader 1) when it is and 2) how much alcohol you're providing. Any complaints/issues go straight to that person before the Rice PD are called and they're resolved 99% of the time. If the Rice PD catches you drunk somewhere on campus, they make you call your roommate or friend to pick you up. They'll only discipline you if you're too far gone.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:32 pm

footballdad wrote:"The second is that no one really attends the games but we don't care because we have our beloved Boulevard."

Can you just go back to your Karma Cafe and stay there?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:40 pm

It's the intention to make SMU'S garbage vendor hail of more unopened gallon jugs of water?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:52 pm

I was prepared to say you guys were overreacting, but those rules are terrible.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMUPhil » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Solution: hand out water bottles filled with Vodka! As Michael Scott would say, that's a win-win-win.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:11 pm

I agree that these rules should be re-thought - particularly the water part....but we are one of the only schools in texas with beer and wine sales at basketball and football in the stadium. To say we are not friendly to the students in this area, based on the fact that the drinking age is 21 - is laughable. If I was the person who would get the call from the police on underage drinking issues at SMU I am not sure I would be as open as they are about alcohol on campus. And yes - I loves me a nice drink and was one of the early supporters for the beer in stadium idea. It just is REALLY hard to manage as an administrator when the drinking age means at least half your student body is breaking the law.
gostangs

Postby couch 'em » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Ok, I thought the water was the only part. The rest of these rules seem designed to intentionally run off students. You must have a cop present? Why would anyone want to risk dealing with police?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:27 pm

SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:27 pm

By the way - there is already a no keg, no liquor no drinking game deal - so none of that is new.

Looks like the new part that actually means something is the "security". At other campuses that can be private security not a UP cop. the other is the water deal - which means someone just got made water czar at each fraternity to make sure they have a container of water bottles handy so as to easily win any "count off" someone wants to try related to beer consumption. The guest thing is just lawyer fodder and is unenforceable.
gostangs

Postby footballdad » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:36 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
footballdad wrote:"The second is that no one really attends the games but we don't care because we have our beloved Boulevard."

Can you just go back to your Karma Cafe and stay there?

Better start ordering those wristbands with 4 pull off tabs :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:37 pm

I don't think we ever went through more than a case of water a game back in the day, but we would easily go through 30-40 cases of beer. You're telling me they need to go buy 60-80 cases of water for [deleted] a giggles? What a joke.

I'm 25 and i don't want to drink with a cop standing over my shoulder. No one wants that.
Last edited by blackoutpony on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football