PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Boulevard Regulations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Boulevard Regulations

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:12 pm

smupony94 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Have there been any issues on the Blvd recently that would have motivated this? I don't remember any gunfire last year

According to a university Park woman serving beer at Moody would start gunfights

Yeah, that's what I was referencing. She should have to stand outside Moody after every game in a bulletproof vest
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Junior » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Dumb
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby JasonB » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:49 pm

It sounds to me like some people got dehydrated and there wasn't enough water to prevent it from happening. Additionally undercover officers found that a ton of underage kids were drinking. UP probably told SMU to get things under control or the gameday alcohol allowance was going to get pulled. So SMU is trying to make sure there are enough things in place so that they are still allowed to party on the Boulevard. Just a guess.

The music thing is funny. I'm sure two frats had a [deleted] contest trying to play music louder than another, so SMU literally pulled the plug on them. I wonder if turning the music off half an hour before gametime gets more people to the games?
JasonB

New Boulevard Regulations

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:01 am

The music is really annoying with every tent trying to out play each other in obnoxiousness.

Other than that, party on!
smusic 00

Postby NewAgeMustange » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:13 am

The Grove opens at 9 p.m. on Friday, and closes at midnight following the game.
Only university-sponsored events are held in "reserved" places. Space is claimed on a first-come basis. Occupy only the space you need - be considerate of others.
No trailers are allowed to park on Grove Loop or the Circle. There is a 15-minute time limit in unloading zones.
Know and obey regulations concerning alcohol use. Drinking is illegal for anyone under the age of 21. County law prohibits possession of beer and light wine on most of the campus. Distribution of alcohol without a permit is illegal, and leaving alcohol in plain view or unattended is considered distribution. Thus, unattended tents and coolers are subject to inspection, and alcohol will be confiscated. University policy prohibits abusive drinking, drinking games, and mass or rapid consumption devices (kegs, funnels, shots, etc.). Public intoxication will not be tolerated, and violators are subject to arrest

Honestly I like the fact that it is open 9pm to midnight the next night. Could you image the boulevard if that was like that?

Even though I graduated I like to partake in my fraternity's "beer" selection. aka I'm cheap, would really suck if I wasn't on the guest list, although I imagine that the guest list would look a lot like the current ones for parties, made it and fake.

Wow, every member that is over 21 is bringing 2 guests and they are all over 21, guess that means an additional 12 beers per member.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:19 am

JasonB wrote:It sounds to me like some people got dehydrated and there wasn't enough water to prevent it from happening.

Jason, are you kidding? Like I said in my post a few pages back, we never went through more than a case of water in one game. I'm sure every other frat experienced the same thing. We would always have two, but never even opened the second one. There's so many places to get water at the blvd, that this might be your most asinine post since "we'll be 9-3 next year".

Way to try and defend anything SMU does.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:22 am

Last edited by blackoutpony on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:26 am

SMU SID wrote:What you see is currently just a proposal by Student Affairs and would only apply to the student Boulevard tents.

This is a monumentally dumb idea. In the tents and on the boulevard, students have to stay reasonably sober and reasonably well behaved before attracting attention from the administration and/or the campus police. If a student organization (admit it - this is pointed at fraternities) isn't keeping its members under control, why not limit restrictions to "offenders?"

When I was a student, we were playing games in Ownby but there was nothing like the Boulevard available. Everyone got drunk in their dorm rooms, apartments, and/or frat house rooms before heading off to the games. Furthermore, it was child's play to sneak hard liquor into the stadium. At the Miracle on Mockingbird game, I arrived drunk, stayed drunk, and went back to my room to "celebrate" with friends. BTW - I was over 21.

In plain site, everyone has an incentive to keep drinking under control. There are no beer bongs or keg stands. There is no trash can punch.

If you force people back into their rooms, the binge drinking will increase.

Over the years, I have been to 5 Harvard/Yale games. Neither school treats their students like children. Surely, SMU can match two of the great universities in the world!!
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby b_caesar » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:55 pm

JasonB wrote: Additionally undercover officers found that a ton of underage kids were drinking. UP probably told SMU to get things under control or the gameday alcohol allowance was going to get pulled. So SMU is trying to make sure there are enough things in place so that they are still allowed to party on the Boulevard. Just a guess.

This. A very good guess.
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Everyone relax. This is strictly a liability issue. No one is going to take your beer away and make you drink water.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:49 pm

coloradoStang wrote:It is immature but a lot of fraternities are tossing around the idea of boycotting and just renting out barley house or other places and having parties on game day.

I think it would be hard for a fraternity to rent out a bar, since the university requires them to register/get approval for their parties. And if I'm remembering correctly, there's a ridiculously low threshold for how many members have to be present to constitute an official fraternity function.

Not sure what the actual magic number is, but let's say five fraternity brothers are at the same place at the same time, then it's considered an official event subject to approval — which eliminates the "Oh, we didn't rent out this bar for a party, we all just showed up here" loophole.

Whereas five or more students who aren't affiliated with a fraternity could all go to a bar before the game without a problem.

For better or worse, SMU has created many impediments to participating in Greek organizations. I can't help but wonder when students will start to feel like it's not worth the hassle from the university to participate (and whether that's ultimately what the administration's end-game is…)
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby NewAgeMustange » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:01 pm

I've always wondered if they have actually enforced the 5 students in a area equals a party rule. Technically Barely and Home Bar are having illegal parties every weekend that the students are in session.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:09 pm

It's actually 3 and they did enforce it my freshmen year when they kicked KA off campus.

Every frat rents out or uses bars and doesn't tell the school about it. It's very easy. It's a stupid, Lori White, fun sucking rule anyway. Hell, you don't even have to rent out the bar, just show up.Not my fault if 150 of my closest friends happen to come as well.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby coloradoStang » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:13 pm

aus10fromhous10 wrote:
coloradoStang wrote:It is immature but a lot of fraternities are tossing around the idea of boycotting and just renting out barley house or other places and having parties on game day.

I think it would be hard for a fraternity to rent out a bar, since the university requires them to register/get approval for their parties. And if I'm remembering correctly, there's a ridiculously low threshold for how many members have to be present to constitute an official fraternity function.

You must not have been greek...it is very easy and very common to rent out bars
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby coloradoStang » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:14 pm

blackoutpony wrote:It's actually 3 and they did enforce it my freshmen year when they kicked KA off campus.

Every frat rents out or uses bars and doesn't tell the school about it. It's very easy. It's a stupid, Lori White, fun sucking rule anyway. Hell, you don't even have to rent out the bar, just show up.Not my fault if 150 of my closest friends happen to come as well.

yep its a dumb rule. if 2 of my buddies come over to my appt its a party and technically I should have told the school about it.
coloradoStang
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football