PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Boulevard Regulations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Boulevard Regulations

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:30 pm

coloradoStang wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:It's actually 3 and they did enforce it my freshmen year when they kicked KA off campus.

Every frat rents out or uses bars and doesn't tell the school about it. It's very easy. It's a stupid, Lori White, fun sucking rule anyway. Hell, you don't even have to rent out the bar, just show up.Not my fault if 150 of my closest friends happen to come as well.

yep its a dumb rule. if 2 of my buddies come over to my appt its a party and technically I should have told the school about it.

I always wondered if 3 members of a frat studied together in Fondren, if it were considered an event that needed to be registered.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:57 pm

No more walks of shame???? Say it ain't so!!
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby smusportspage » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:06 pm

I agree that this is probably motived by liability issues. At the same time I hate micromanaging and the rules about non-salty food, amount of water available, guest lists etc. smacks of that. Hopefully we can figure this out and all enjoy our boulevard. Some things just shouldn't be that hard. Having fun and enjoying ourselves should not become a beat down.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby NewAgeMustange » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:17 pm

An event held off-campus, in a fraternity or sorority house or in a university-owned student residence needs to be registered through this process if any of the following apply:

an observer would associate the event with a student organization/chapter;
an individual representing a student organization/chapter authorizes, sponsors, supports, or endorses the event in any way;
the event is discussed and/or voted on in an organization/chapter meeting;
the event is funded in whole or part by the organization or its representatives.
Exception - Events where a professional Student Affairs Advisor is present do not need to register through this process. (Examples: Senate Retreat, LEAD Conference, etc.)

SMU, I would like to schedule an Event, why yes it will be held at the fraternity house with a large majority of the new members attending. The name of the event, Study Hours. Yes, the organization did discuss the event and all are in agreeance that this needs to occur and no there won't be an light non-salty foods available
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby skurtn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm well above the age of 21, and don't think I'd drink alcohol with a cop watching me.
Thus, I probably wouldn't bother coming to the blvd very often.

But I live in Houston, so it's a moot point.
skurtn
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Delete Duplicate
Last edited by Digetydog on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:23 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
coloradoStang wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:It's actually 3 and they did enforce it my freshmen year when they kicked KA off campus.

Every frat rents out or uses bars and doesn't tell the school about it. It's very easy. It's a stupid, Lori White, fun sucking rule anyway. Hell, you don't even have to rent out the bar, just show up.Not my fault if 150 of my closest friends happen to come as well.

yep its a dumb rule. if 2 of my buddies come over to my appt its a party and technically I should have told the school about it.

I wonder if my fraternity house still has the same setup. With 4 people per suite, any visit to the common area is reportable?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Pony Mom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Absolutely ridiculous!! Road map on how to take one of the most enjoyable and positive student experiences on campus and ruin it. Hope they reconsider.
SMU Pony Mom
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:54 pm

Relax. This is liability CYA. And by the way it doesn't say cop, it says security.
gostangs

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:40 am

gostangs wrote:Relax. This is liability CYA. And by the way it doesn't say cop, it says security.

I still don't want to drink with a rent-a-cop looking over my shoulder, since he'll probably be even more likely to power trip, because they couldn't get into the police academy.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Can anyone identify one other school with similar requirements?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:23 pm

what the heck is lori white still doing at smu?

I heard it was a terrible decision when she was brought in and she's proving that right.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:what the heck is lori white still doing at smu?

I heard it was a terrible decision when she was brought in and she's proving that right.

She's literally the worst. No one likes her. NO ONE. Kevin Sabire might be an idiot, but at least he's a nice guy.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:09 pm

Good luck ever getting rid of Lori. lets hope she gets an offer from Vassar or Smith
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby PonyFan32 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:51 pm

GreenbeltPony wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:
SMU SID wrote:What you see is currently just a proposal by Student Affairs and would only apply to the student Boulevard tents.

Sometimes you guys do stuff that is so dumb, it hurts. What on earth is having twice as much water as beer going to do? Are you going to force feed people??? And of course everyone want to hang out with cops the while time. I'm sure that will help blvd attendance. :roll:

This will just drive underage binge drinking underground even more.

SMU - shooting themselves in the foot since 1915

Agreed.

SMU's approach to alcohol is laughably bad. I understand that there were three alcohol-related deaths in one year (2006? 2007?), but the draconian measures on campus are leading to more and more underground drinking as a result of the fears of receiving AVs or being unable to rush. My favorite memory was seeing a drunk freshman climb out of a taxi in front of McElvaney and try to get back inside when he saw an SMU cop approaching, but he got busted anyway. How dare he be responsible and take a cab back to his dorm!

Rice (another fine private Texas university) does it right. If you want to throw a party in your dorm, the only things you have to do are tell your residential college leader 1) when it is and 2) how much alcohol you're providing. Any complaints/issues go straight to that person before the Rice PD are called and they're resolved 99% of the time. If the Rice PD catches you drunk somewhere on campus, they make you call your roommate or friend to pick you up. They'll only discipline you if you're too far gone.

Don't know if anyone responded to this, but I remember that string of deaths well since I was on campus then. Sad, sad stuff. But only one of them was entirely alcohol related (freshman with .4 BAL). One of the other two was drugs, and the third was a mixture of prescription drugs, cocaine and alcohol.
PonyFan32
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football