PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

News on spring practice this week?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: News on spring practice this week?

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:18 pm

All depends on whether it is strained, pulled, torn, or severed. Could be some time in a boot to serious surgery. We have no idea. I would bet Top Twenty was there and has good info.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:24 pm

GiddyUp wrote:I've thought that from the second he stepped on the field. Looked like great potential & should shine with a real offense.

He's a big kid - 6'4" with speed. I'm glad he got a medical redshirt. Still has 4 more years. With Sutton, Gaines, Proche and Castille, we are going to have some weapons.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Top Twenty » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:37 pm

I talked to someone who would know. Good news for K.C. and us.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks. Good news.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU 86 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:55 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
GiddyUp wrote:I've thought that from the second he stepped on the field. Looked like great potential & should shine with a real offense.

He's a big kid - 6'4" with speed. I'm glad he got a medical redshirt. Still has 4 more years. With Sutton, Gaines, Proche and Castille, we are going to have some weapons.

I would out Kevin Thomas in the top 4 receivers.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Also don't sleep on Ryheem Malone and Shelby Walker. Malone has good burst despite his lack of size and Shelby Walker had some big time P5 offers (Michigan State, Wisconsin). Also I'm really intrigued by the potential of Joshua Shelmire and Alex Honey.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ojaipony » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:05 am

If only our OL will give our QBs time to find them. (and can periodically open up a running lane or 2). I think this team will go as far as the OL can take them. Play like crap, only a few wins. Play decent, maybe .500. Play well, especially in conference, bowling. I feel that strongly about it.

I understand this will be super sunshiney and we don't have the talent yet, especially on the OL and on defense, but I'm starting to set my expectations unrealistically high for this team - bowl game. If we stay healthy with the key players, my expectations is that this team bowls. Beat UNT and JMU, will need 4 wins in conference: USF, Tulsa, Tulane (then either Temple or Navy). It's possible. Don't judge me. :-)
Last edited by ojaipony on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ojaipony

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:17 am

ojaipony wrote:If only our OL will give our QBs time to find them. (and can periodically open up a running lane or 2). I think this team will go as far as the OL can take them.

I agree this is the key.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Digetydog » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:51 am

ojaipony wrote:If only our OL will give our QBs time to find them. (and can periodically open up a running lane or 2). I think this team will go as far as the OL can take them. Play like crap, only a few wins. Play decent, maybe .500. Play well, especially in conference, bowling. I feel that strongly about it.

I understand this will be super sunshiney and we don't have the talent yet, especially on the OL and on defense, but I'm starting to set my expectations unrealistically high for this team - bowl game. If we stay healthy with the key players, my expectations is that this team bowls. Beat UNT and JMU, will need 4 wins in conference: USF, Tulsa, Tulane (then either Temple or Navy). It's possible. Don't judge me. :-)

The good news is our new offense should help the OL immenselly. Because of the #tempo and the use of significantly movement, the DL's shouldn't be able to tee off on them like they did in the RnS.

Combined with Davis' mobility ...
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:47 am

From the two Saturday's I've gone to practice the offensive line is clearly the biggest weakness on this team. Evan Brown has been sidelined recovering from injury so Taylor Reich is starting in his place at guard, but as an overall unit they are really struggling. That said, it can't possibly be worse than last season.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:44 am

StallionsModelT wrote:From the two Saturday's I've gone to practice the offensive line is clearly the biggest weakness on this team. Evan Brown has been sidelined recovering from injury so Taylor Reich is starting in his place at guard, but as an overall unit they are really struggling. That said, it can't possibly be worse than last season.

They can't be worse, but I was hoping to a bigger step up than I saw yesterday. I've said before I think there is enough talent on the field for 6-6 next season. Watching Rhone, Gaines, and Sutton yesterday, I really do think we have the talent for that. But if some players on the o-line don't step up, it will hold the team back. Pony Pride added my notes to his scrimmage report. Briggs looks like a stud at LT, but I think all 4 of the other positions on the line have a ways to go. I'd like to see Brown and Hyder out there.
JasonB

Postby PonySnob » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:52 am

The running game could be dismal with the current play of the OL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Digetydog » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:13 pm

JasonB wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:From the two Saturday's I've gone to practice the offensive line is clearly the biggest weakness on this team. Evan Brown has been sidelined recovering from injury so Taylor Reich is starting in his place at guard, but as an overall unit they are really struggling. That said, it can't possibly be worse than last season.

They can't be worse, but I was hoping to a bigger step up than I saw yesterday. I've said before I think there is enough talent on the field for 6-6 next season. Watching Rhone, Gaines, and Sutton yesterday, I really do think we have the talent for that. But if some players on the o-line don't step up, it will hold the team back. Pony Pride added my notes to his scrimmage report. Briggs looks like a stud at LT, but I think all 4 of the other positions on the line have a ways to go. I'd like to see Brown and Hyder out there.

IS the big Serbian getting reps with the OL? How does he look?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:24 pm

o line really did look like a mess. I will guess it gets fixed by year end. THey did look bigger than i remember, for what thats worth.

One simple question - how many more games would we have won had we played Davis last year for most of the season? Maybe one more?

Seems like we get one win more out of the schedule (trading A&M for a hopeful gimmie game). So that is two, plus one more for playing davis -

so then the question is - will the new coaching, energy, offense and skill position talent get us three more? If so - we become bowl eligible, and Chad cements himself as a guru and instantly becomes a target.

would almost rather see decent improvement but no bowl - and then have bigger splash the following year.
gostangs

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Digetydog wrote:
JasonB wrote:

IS the big Serbian getting reps with the OL? How does he look?

Second string RT. He is still really raw. Keeps his arms a little too high and clotheslined a guy during the 1 v 1 drills.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Football