PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Attendance

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Attendance

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:23 pm

Attendance will be largely unchanged. We sold out Moody this season but for most games there were at least 2000 no shows. For SMU the wallet is a lot more willing than the body. Ford is a whole different proposition. Let's just hope the performances are better and hope we catch the imagination of the locals
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:Attendance will be largely unchanged. We sold out Moody this season but for most games there were at least 2000 no shows. For SMU the wallet is a lot more willing than the body. Ford is a whole different proposition. Let's just hope the performances are better and hope we catch the imagination of the locals

At least 2000 no shows at most games? Ummm, no.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Never saw the place 30% empty maybe first five minutes of the game
smupony94

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Agree, Moody was always well attended, although not 100 percent full every game except the big ones.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby whitwiki » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:47 pm

It's much easier to attend a basketball game...
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:53 pm

Saying there were at least 2000 no shows on average at Moody is a ridiculous exaggeration. That's like saying JJ really tried to recruit.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:10 pm

WordUpBU wrote:Questions from regular attendees about how many usually show up.

1- How many students typically show? Of their sections how many do they fill up and do they fill up both the red seats below and the blue seats up high?

2- What percentage of the remaining SMU fans are alumni, casual dallas fans, or family of players?

SMU has roughly 40k alumni in DFW so the potential is there to sell out with good product on the field. Obviously some are women and/or disinterested alums but the guys and their families as well as the student body alone could likely do it with enough team momentum paving the way.

We need your help BU. Tell Briles et al to lay an egg against us. That will help. Thanks. Lock arms!
ojaipony

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:27 pm

whitwiki wrote:It's much easier to attend a basketball game...

How so?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:15 pm

2000 might be an overstatement but Moody did not reflect a sellout more than 4 times last year, and there were certainly occasions when it was 70% full. If demand is so great, that would not be the case. As a fanbase our willingness to buy seats exceeds our willingness to sit in them.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:2000 might be an overstatement but Moody did not reflect a sellout more than 4 times last year, and there were certainly occasions when it was 70% full. If demand is so great, that would not be the case. As a fanbase our willingness to buy seats exceeds our willingness to sit in them.

apparently the new shipment of hydro has arrived
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:12 pm

Pony Boss wrote:

How so?

2 hours vs. 3.5 hours, also a lot less competition for entertainment on a Tuesday/Thurs night than a fall Saturday afternoon.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:01 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:

How so?

2 hours vs. 3.5 hours, also a lot less competition for entertainment on a Tuesday/Thurs night than a fall Saturday afternoon.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know of anything better to do on a fall Saturday than to boulevard and watch some football. Dallas is not SF, NY or Miami and apart from Northpark and drinking in a bar in uptown there is little to do. Pony up.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:06 am

I think we could be a great option for the casual football fan to watch some good ball being played in Dallas and to catch the college football atmosphere at its finest. People will pay to watch good football. Everyone I talk to seems excited about CM: our "disinterested" alums are excited, coworkers, friends, people in Dallas and even Fort Worth that I have talked to are excited. I am not worried about the future of SMU Football anymore as I feel we have hired the best coach anyone could want.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:50 am

It seems to me that playing important games against real competition is what Dallas likes. I'm convinced we're on the road to doing exactly that in football as we've done in basketball. But I don't expect too much for the upcoming season in terms of butts in seats at Ford. Baylor is going to be a great crowd to start the season though.
ponyboy

Postby Dukie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:41 am

ponyboy wrote:It seems to me that playing important games against real competition is what Dallas likes. I'm convinced we're on the road to doing exactly that in football as we've done in basketball. But I don't expect too much for the upcoming season in terms of butts in seats at Ford. Baylor is going to be a great crowd to start the season though.

I agree with all of this, except that the Baylor game crowd will be "great," from an SMU perspective. It will merely be full.
Dukie
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football