PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Spring Game

Postby Digetydog » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:20 pm

Planter's Punch wrote:
Digetydog wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:Not to go on a tangent, but I sure hope UConn's program improves and becomes very competitive. They have a good coach and there is really no competition in their region like there is here.

Unless they figure out a way into the ACC, I predict they give up on D1 football within 10 years. There is zero talent in the Northeast and they can't figure out how to get good talent from elsewhere.

It seemed like Houston Nutt came to a similar conclusion when he was inquiring about the level of in-state talent. UConn upgraded to D1-A in 2000 after pressure from the Big East. Given the struggles the AAC has getting teams into March Madness, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a large alumni push to downgrade football and get basketball back into the Big East.

There is no talent in Maine, NH, or Vermont. Dallas County has more recruits than Mass and CT combined. If someone is really good, they go to the ACC, B10, or ND.

if I was a Uconn alum, I would be agitating to join the Big East.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:07 am

Comet wrote:My son was just born (first kid) so it'll be tough for me to get there. Had it happened any other time I would have taken a couple of people there.

Congratulations...may have missed it, but is one of his given names Doak or Lance?
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:29 am

While we wait, please enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55hWjMoAIQo

(reminds me just how damn good GG was for us and also how important it is to have some just flat out bat [deleted] crazy defensive players like JG and T Reed that fly around all over the place - I only mean that by style of play, not personal . . .)
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:01 pm

ojaipony wrote:While we wait, please enjoy:

(reminds me just how damn good GG was for us and also how important it is to have some just flat out bat [deleted] crazy defensive players like JG and T Reed that fly around all over the place - I only mean that by style of play, not personal . . .)

Last good game we played in JJ era.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:27 pm

peruna81 wrote:
Comet wrote:My son was just born (first kid) so it'll be tough for me to get there. Had it happened any other time I would have taken a couple of people there.

Congratulations...may have missed it, but is one of his given names Doak or Lance?

I just had my first kiddo as well two weeks ago. We didn't know the gender till the big arrival. But my wife was still having to come to grips with the fact that if it was a boy the name was to be Theodore Doak. She didn't like the sound of Doak. I told her tough. Done Deal. She's a Baylor grad, that should explain some things. She lucked out this time around as we had a girl. I'm hoping for Teddy Doak the next go around.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:49 pm

Ha! Have you considered Walker as middle name? (that's my son's middle name) and there's plausible deniability that you named your kid after Doak Walker-you can just start calling him Littl' Doak after birth :wink:
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:13 pm

one question -

Beer stands open? I highly recommend that!
gostangs

Postby Junior » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:03 pm

and don't forget my crawfish boil...
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Digetydog » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Stallion wrote:Ha! Have you considered Walker as middle name? (that's my son's middle name) and there's plausible deniability that you named your kid after Doak Walker-you can just start calling him Littl' Doak after birth :wink:

After I threatened to name my daughter after my golf clubs, everyone liked the idea and my daughter's middle name is Calloway.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:06 pm

"ojaipony" is a kick [deleted] name!

All my kids are named that.
ojaipony

Postby mrydel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:17 pm

Digetydog wrote:
Stallion wrote:Ha! Have you considered Walker as middle name? (that's my son's middle name) and there's plausible deniability that you named your kid after Doak Walker-you can just start calling him Littl' Doak after birth :wink:

After I threatened to name my daughter after my golf clubs, everyone liked the idea and my daughter's middle name is Calloway.

My kid would have been named f...ing six iron.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby OR-See-Nee » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Congratulations to Comet and Dickersonforlife for the new lives. Your lives will be enriched (philosophically, spiritually, emotionally, but not financially) by the new additions.

Like ojaipony, all of my kids are named orsini. I'm kind of regretting that decision.
/No Hate. Just Facts. Occasional sarcasm.
OR-See-Nee
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:54 pm

ojaipony wrote:While we wait, please enjoy:

One of the worst right tackle performances of all time by their guy!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ericdickerson4life » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:22 am

OR-See-Nee wrote:Congratulations to Comet and Dickersonforlife for the new lives. Your lives will be enriched (philosophically, spiritually, emotionally, but not financially) by the new additions.

Like ojaipony, all of my kids are named orsini. I'm kind of regretting that decision.

Appreciate the kind words. Already having a hard time fighting off the BU crap. It's easy for people to find that stuff in stores here (Houston) but no SMU gear.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:46 am

Yep - that's mine son's middle name. My wife put the kibosh on Doak.

I also wanted Maco after Maco Stewart, but that didn't work either. Threw out a bunch of other old ones, Truman for Truman Spain, Redman for Redman Hume, but the wife was very firmly against all my suggestions.

We also waited to find out if the baby was a boy or a girl. While we discussed potential names, having to make a final decision under the gun put a sense of urgency into the discussion.

Ended up with Walker as a middle name, which is cool expect everyone thinks its for Walker Texas Ranger and Chuck Norris. He is now old enough to know he is named after Doak, but doesn't really know much about him yet.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

PreviousNext

Return to Football