PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Spring Game

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:07 pm

With time, Texas Ranger will be a distant memory.

I lobbied for Walker as well (happens to be a family name) but it didn't flow with the first name of either boy.

I guess that is what dogs are for. We can name them whatever we want!
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Pony Boss wrote:I would not be surprised if 4,000 people show up, everyone I have talked to is going to the game.

Bump. I think it was more than 4,000. Maybe close to 6,000 like Stallion posted in the other thread.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Spring Game

Postby TidePony » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:58 pm

It was a lot of people, many coming and going (especially students). Chad Morris should be thrilled! June would of drawn a couple dozen people and three middle aged hookers!
;-)
Last edited by TidePony on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Nice crowd, good stuff. Big boys recruits in crowd that make our guys look JV
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lwjr » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:08 pm

TidePony wrote:It was a lot of people, many coming and going (especially students). Chad Morris should be thrilled! June would of drawn a couple of dozens people and three middle aged hookers!

Don't forget the girl volleyball players
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby TidePony » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:56 pm

I sure won't lwjr!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:58 pm

TidePony wrote:It was a lot of people, many coming and going (especially students). Chad Morris should be thrilled! June would of drawn a couple dozen of people and three middle aged hookers!
;-)

I was under the impression that he was more into volley ball players..
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby SMU89 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Good crowd, well organized....food trucks, stadium concessions, bounce houses, Cervesa (beer), music, etc.

Doing it right.
SMU89

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:33 pm

thinking about Morris early exit-actually think it might have been a decent exercise. We've got an Offensive Coordinator Craddock that has never been a position coach. Hand him the reins and let him take command of the offense. Kind of a final exam. Grade his performance
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby soccermom » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:26 pm

Treadway21 wrote:
Stallion wrote:Ha! Have you considered Walker as middle name? (that's my son's middle name) and there's plausible deniability that you named your kid after Doak Walker-you can just start calling him Littl' Doak after birth :wink:

Yep - that's mine son's middle name. My wife put the kibosh on Doak.

I also wanted Maco after Maco Stewart, but that didn't work either.

Just curious why Maco Stewart?
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Ok, I'm back home now. My quick take aways:

1 - The fact that we had a Spring Game was AWESOME!
2 - Absolutely everything was wonderful except the product on the field. Great turnout, the weather held up, they sold beer, live DJ, all the bells and whistles -- seemed like even some of the greeks showed up (rowdy drunkard frat boys sat near me - I loved it).
3 - Maybe they were just holding back a bit to avoid further injuries, but IMHO the team just looked flat out terrible. No energy, no pads popping. Granted, I've never been to a spring game ever, but I felt the team's energy in general was really flat and I was very bored with the product on the field. Very very sloppy - I enjoyed the bounce house more. Just being honest.
4 - We have a few good players . . . a few. Sutton, of course, and mostly the rest are more than likely injured or haven't arrived yet (I hope). I know it happens to every program, etc, but it seemed some of our best players were out . . . Shak, KC, Zelt and some of the younger OL. Very unimpressed with Matt Davis's arm strength.
5 - Yep, the OL is terrible. Davis had very little time to throw so he ran a lot (as did Colbert). Our defense isn't exactly the steel curtain and we couldn't really run against even the 2nd string much either.
6 - Very happy to see Hollie out there making some plays. Big guy needs to still get into better shape, but I love seeing us have some actual size on the DL for once. Against weak opponents, he and Zelt should dominate their opponents.
7 - The highlight of the day was seeing the men's bball team - a group that has actual talent and competitive fire.

Bottom line: very excited for the future. All the buzz is there, we just need the product on the field to match it.

Oh, and by the way, I have to drive right by McLane Stadium every time I come up from Austin. My arm strength isn't as good as it used to be - my apple core couldn't make it to the stadium from my car window. Next time I'll have to pull over and just get out.

Great turnout, keep up the good work HCCM. I just hope we don't turn people off with all the buzz and excitement and then they see the on the field product and say "I got dressed up for THIS?"

Pony Up!
ojaipony

Postby JasonB » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:29 am

FWIW, Line had 9 carries for 69 yards against the second string D. So I wouldn't say we couldn't run the ball at all. The second team OL couldn't run the ball at all. The first team D dominated the second team O so thoroughly that it made the whole game look sloppy.

To the point of the offensive line struggling, Davis was sacked three times by the second team defense. Believe it or not, there has been significant improvement on the o-line during the spring - the first scrimmage the o-line was about as porous as it was against Baylor. 71 is good, but to have a chance next season we need Barns to continue to improve, Lasecki to take a step up, and one other player to take a massive step forward at LG or RT. Barns and Lasecki I thought were awful in the first practice and good better. Weeks also improved as the spring went along as he got into better shape.
JasonB

Postby ojaipony » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 am

Stallion wrote:thinking about Morris early exit-actually think it might have been a decent exercise. We've got an Offensive Coordinator Craddock that has never been a position coach. Hand him the reins and let him take command of the offense. Kind of a final exam. Grade his performance

I was thinking the same thing. Spring Game was as important for these new coaches (game time simulation/logistics, etc) as it was for the players I'm guessing.
ojaipony

Postby knuckleup » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:00 pm

JasonB wrote:FWIW, Line had 9 carries for 69 yards against the second string D. So I wouldn't say we couldn't run the ball at all. The second team OL couldn't run the ball at all. The first team D dominated the second team O so thoroughly that it made the whole game look sloppy.

To the point of the offensive line struggling, Davis was sacked three times by the second team defense. Believe it or not, there has been significant improvement on the o-line during the spring - the first scrimmage the o-line was about as porous as it was against Baylor. 71 is good, but to have a chance next season we need Barns to continue to improve, Lasecki to take a step up, and one other player to take a massive step forward at LG or RT. Barns and Lasecki I thought were awful in the first practice and good better. Weeks also improved as the spring went along as he got into better shape.

? From my seat Line ran against 1st defense 2nd defense whatever defense equally well
knuckleup
Junior Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 pm

I think we will have a number of freshmen wee playing time. Bates and Wilds on the OL could give us some more athleticism to add to Briggs and Hyder, Xavier Jones and Braeden West could give us that home run threat from the backfield that we have not had since Shawnbrey McNeal. And Castille, Thomas, Proche, and Honey will give SMU a serious receiving group added to Sutton. Still think 2 to 3 wins but the team will give full effort. Looking forward to the season.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football