PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Spring Game

Postby gostangs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:37 pm

A buddy of mine is in austin and went to the UT spring game - i asked him how it was - he said they looked really sloppy on offense and their O line is crap. sounded familiar …..

I just think that is what if feels like at a spring game…we are a bit rusty on the subject.

Also - For what it is worth - one of our position coaches said the o line the position unit that will surprise people positively the most next fall - and no it was not the oline coach. No idea why, cause i don't see it, but thats what he said.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I think we will have a number of freshmen wee playing time. Bates and Wilds on the OL could give us some more athleticism to add to Briggs and Hyder, Xavier Jones and Braeden West could give us that home run threat from the backfield that we have not had since Shawnbrey McNeal. And Castille, Thomas, Proche, and Honey will give SMU a serious receiving group added to Sutton. Still think 2 to 3 wins but the team will give full effort. Looking forward to the season.

I think with the emphasis in practice on game situations and having officials out there calling fouls, the frosh will be much more ready for the actual game than they were under June. It will eliminate that dreaded "fog of war".

I'd love to see some OLs come in and challenge, but I think we will be much better off if Hyder, Lasecki, Brown, McCarty, Weeks, and Barns can show improvement over the summer. Frosh on the OL doesn't usually work out very well unless they are a pro talent. I'd rather take the hit and get them at full speed for 4 years than struggle on the job.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:38 pm

gostangs wrote:A buddy of mine is in austin and went to the UT spring game - i asked him how it was - he said they looked really sloppy on offense and their O line is crap. sounded familiar …..

I just think that is what if feels like at a spring game…we are a bit rusty on the subject.

Also - For what it is worth - one of our position coaches said the o line the position unit that will surprise people positively the most next fall - and no it was not the oline coach. No idea why, cause i don't see it, but thats what he said.

The defensive linemen say repeatedly that the oline is way better than it was last year already.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:14 pm

gostangs wrote:A buddy of mine is in austin and went to the UT spring game - i asked him how it was - he said they looked really sloppy on offense and their O line is crap. sounded familiar …..

He is probably right as UT wasn't that good last year and will not be that much netter this year. I think if he went to a Baylor or TCU spring game that the comments would be different.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:20 pm

JasonB wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I think we will have a number of freshmen wee playing time. Bates and Wilds on the OL could give us some more athleticism to add to Briggs and Hyder, Xavier Jones and Braeden West could give us that home run threat from the backfield that we have not had since Shawnbrey McNeal. And Castille, Thomas, Proche, and Honey will give SMU a serious receiving group added to Sutton. Still think 2 to 3 wins but the team will give full effort. Looking forward to the season.

I think with the emphasis in practice on game situations and having officials out there calling fouls, the frosh will be much more ready for the actual game than they were under June. It will eliminate that dreaded "fog of war".

I'd love to see some OLs come in and challenge, but I think we will be much better off if Hyder, Lasecki, Brown, McCarty, Weeks, and Barns can show improvement over the summer. Frosh on the OL doesn't usually work out very well unless they are a pro talent. I'd rather take the hit and get them at full speed for 4 years than struggle on the job.

They might be more athletic than most of the lineman that are on the team now but yes it would be good to redshirt them and take the hit this year. Point is they might have to play if they come in and are better than most of what SMU has.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RebStang » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:

They might be more athletic than most of the lineman that are on the team now but yes it would be good to redshirt them and take the hit this year. Point is they might have to play if they come in and are better than most of what SMU has.

Do not be surprised if a pretty large number of this year's freshmen either start or get significant playing time this fall. My basis for this is the heavy emphasis on recruiting with this staff... the promise of immediate playing time is how this staff is going to win some future recruiting battles and they know they need to prove that they're willing to play freshmen in order to make case stronger.
RebStang
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:46 pm

My confidence in CM's ability to recruit is so high that I can't say there is anyone on this team that we 'have' to redshirt.

The OL talent he'll bring in over the next few years will certainly surpass this years' class, so if someone can contribute this year, no need to redshirt IMO.
SoCal_Pony

Previous

Return to Football