PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA May "Deregulate" Conference Championship Requirements

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA May "Deregulate" Conference Championship Requirements

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:07 pm

looks like Big 12 and ACC are getting their way-of course this effectively ends the primary reason for future expansion especially in Big 12

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ed-by-2016
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: NCAA May "Deregulate" Conference Championship Requiremen

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:46 pm

They already play a round robin, how will this change anything for the Big 12?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:48 pm

because they could have 2 divisions, play less than 9 conference games and still stage a Championship with only 10 teams
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Interesting. The lengths their peon Bowlsby will go to pass an unpopular measure so that his conference does not need to expand to 12, which ironically is the name that conference bears.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby alyssa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:17 pm

The Big 12 added wrestling teams. 6 I think.
alyssa
All-American

Postby dcpony » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:50 am

Interesting excerpt:

“I think there's some belief that ACC would play three divisions, have two highest-ranked play in postseason,” said Bob Bowlsby, chairman of the new NCAA Football Oversight Committee. “Really, nobody cares how you determine your champion. It should be a conference-level decision.

I read this as being kind of a precursor to a possible in-conference playoff with the conference playoff winner presumably getting one of the four spots in national championship playoff. If that's the case, I don't think conference expansion would be completely off the table.
dcpony
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:06 am

It also could have some relevance to an expanded 3 Division 16 team AAC with an added Western Division

Stallion

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:25 pm

This could be really bad...or it could be good, or maybe just not much. Damn that's foreboding...or forgiving...or, oh well.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Planter's Punch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 am

First I have heard of the ACC wanting to have 3 divisions. I have heard them wanting to make the move so that the two highest ranked teams at the end of the year play in the championship game rather than the division champions. It makes sense for ratings, because in some recent years, the Coastal division has been lacking while the Atlantic division has had most of the top teams for the year. Three divisions sounds like a headache, waiting for the other P5 conferences to poach teams they want. But hey, I would be happy for SMU to join that headache and gain the exposure and revenue.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby Dukie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:45 am

Planter's Punch wrote:First I have heard of the ACC wanting to have 3 divisions. I have heard them wanting to make the move so that the two highest ranked teams at the end of the year play in the championship game rather than the division champions. It makes sense for ratings, because in some recent years, the Coastal division has been lacking while the Atlantic division has had most of the top teams for the year. Three divisions sounds like a headache, waiting for the other P5 conferences to poach teams they want. But hey, I would be happy for SMU to join that headache and gain the exposure and revenue.

First I've heard as well, and I would discount it. There would still be a decent chance of the two highest-rated teams being stuck together in one of the three divisions.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby dcpony » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:57 pm

First I've heard as well, and I would discount it. There would still be a decent chance of the two highest-rated teams being stuck together in one of the three division

That's why this deregulation might lead to conference tournaments in college football.
dcpony
All-American

Postby Pony^ » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:31 am

"I'm fairly confident we'll act to put in place a tiebreaker that will determine our champion," said Bowlsby. "That will eliminate one of the variables from last year."

Bowlsby continues to champion an NCAA proposal his league and the ACC have put forward that would "deregulate" conference championship games, eliminating the longstanding 12-team, two-division requirement. The change is widely considered a formality but must first wind its way through the NCAA legislative maze -- from the Division I Football Oversight Committee to the FBS legislative council. Realistically, the earliest it could be adopted is October, with an intent to go into effect for the 2016 season.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/big-12-playoff-meetings-bob-bowlsby-baylor-tcu-co-champions-042815

"Should a league be forced into (expanding) in order to (get into the playoff)?" Bowlsby said. "If anybody among the FBS institutions or other conferences had any objections to us deregulating that rule, this situation should have made that objection go away. Otherwise, the other (conferences) are clearly dictating what we do."

The only reason the Big 12 hasn't already determined a formal tiebreaker policy is the debate bogged down when it got beyond two-way ties. Bowlsby said three-way ties (and more) would be solved during two sets of league meetings in May. The league's athletic directors and coaches meet next week in Phoenix; presidents and chancellors meet later in the month.

Bowlsby declined to outline potential options for solving three-way ties.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat," he said Bowlsby. "Probably the simplest is to get to two as soon as possible and then use head-to-head."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2015/04/28/bob-bowlsby-college-football-playoff-tiebreaker-baylor-tcu/26515151/
Pony^
All-American

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:31 pm

We just have to start winning on the gridiron and keep winning in hoops, and then we'll look like the hottest girl on the beach. Winning is the key. Otherwise, we're just another name on the board.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Return to Football