PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU visit to East Texas

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU visit to East Texas

Postby Junior » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:37 pm

ojaipony wrote:
White Helmet wrote:
ojaipony wrote:A lot of TRUE DITRs in east texas. Can't ignore it. To me it's a 1-2-3 priority (DFW-Houston-East Texas).

Oh, and by the way, that was exactly the same recruiting regional approach Ron Meyer took. Just sayin'.

Didn't Bennett try to emphasize east Texas too?

I think so and he got probably the best recruits collectively we've had post-DP (the OLs, JG, T Reed, E Sanders, Bease, etc right?). I think HCCM comes in with a much better rep/contacts though (and armed with much more firepower in terms of his staff). So a little bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

Beasley is from Little Elm.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby alyssa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Mustang75 wrote: Best news was they were all wearing socks!

What?! We all grew up barefoot! They should have been barefoot like I am right now. LOL.
alyssa
All-American

Postby alyssa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:28 pm

White Helmet wrote:
ojaipony wrote:A lot of TRUE DITRs in east texas. Can't ignore it. To me it's a 1-2-3 priority (DFW-Houston-East Texas).

Oh, and by the way, that was exactly the same recruiting regional approach Ron Meyer took. Just sayin'.

Didn't Bennett try to emphasize east Texas too?

I think I remember Bennett saying he had a 300 miles radius.
alyssa
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Junior wrote:Beasley is from Little Elm.

I'm not saying they all came from east texas. i'm saying that if bennett had the best recruits collectively post-DP then maybe he was doing something right. i have no idea.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:45 am

Actually it was Coach Bennett's East Texas ties that got these recruits--but, not Phil, his brother "Jabbo" that was on his staff. Jerry "Jabbo" Bennett was considered the best (or amongst the best) high school coach in East Texas. He was the head coach twice at Jefferson High School. When he moved to SMU they named the field for him, Bennett Field. He was voted into the Texas High School Hall of Fame. Some have suggested that he should have been the head coach at SMU and Phil his assistant. But, others said Jerry didn't look the part for SMU, he wasn't pretty enough-- in fact he always reminded me of the little Italian figure on Super Mario Brothers.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:20 pm

No Quarter wrote:I used the WIKI to get some quick numbers.

There are over five million residents in the D/FW area and also in Greater Houston. Together that amounts to more than one-third of the population of Texas. East Texas counts something over two millions and of course over a much larger area.

Hard to question the plans and tactics of Coach Morris. Certainly SMU needs to show the flag everywhere in Texas. Still, part of me wonders if this is the best use of resources.

If I had to bet money on it I would say that the percentage of high school kids playing football in East Texas is considerably higher than in the metro areas. But that still leaves them with considerably less talent to go around that DFW or Houston. Let TCU and Tech continue to bicker over West Texas recruits.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football