PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Game Roll Call

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Spring Game Roll Call

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Not my money-but quite frankly if the strategic plan is to do everything possible to make the final cut for a P5 Conference and you know the door will be closing within 6-8 years then you better be planning to improve your facilities by the time the decision is made-UH, Cincy, UCF, BYU, and probably all our competitors have those type of facilities already. What is the goal here? I have a lot of confidence in the AD and the Coaches in FB and BB. What are we going to need for example to keep Morris in 3 years. Plan for where you want to be(the P5) in 5-6 years. So if someone wants to put some cash into reaching those strategic requirements then I'm not going to complain
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Not expanding Ford. I just mean all the different projects at once. No full track. Only an indoor track in the IPF. 330 yard oval. He said the current coach liked it but future coach prospects may not so it could limit us. There just is nowhere to put a full track with the other stuff
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby fifty » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Who mentioned the IPF news? Any timeline updates? Was it talked about during the spring game
Edit: oh i see. From talk with rick hart.

We don't need a full track if we don't have men's track. We just need somewhere to run 40s year round. Remember men's track would help football more than any other sport.
Last edited by fifty on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fifty
Heisman

Postby SMUer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Is the intramural field just so small? I don't know why we are so fixated on moving track, installing a new, shorter one, moving soccer, and building them a new stadium, building a tunnel to the locker-room, putting whatever else with it...just build a damn shed over the intramural fields. SEC/ACC indoor facilities aren't anything spectacular; just artificial turf and a place to hang banners. I'm not even sure many of them are full-field sized. Seems like you could install a nice one well under $20M if we give up on all the do-dads.
SMUer

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:37 pm

we aren't putting a shed or bubble on the SMU campus

IPFs are overrated for team performance- but in any event the idea is the build a facility to attract recruits-and a shed or bubble doesn't help in comparison to the other schools we are competing with
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby fifty » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:44 pm

SMUer wrote:Is the intramural field just so small? I don't know why we are so fixated on moving track, installing a new, shorter one, moving soccer, and building them a new stadium, building a tunnel to the locker-room, putting whatever else with it...just build a damn shed over the intramural fields. SEC/ACC indoor facilities aren't anything spectacular; just artificial turf and a place to hang banners. I'm not even sure many of them are full-field sized. Seems like you could install a nice one well under $20M if we give up on all the do-dads.

I am starting to agree here. I've been hearing ipf/track stories for almost 5 years now.
fifty
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:46 pm

He says he needs $150 million to do what we want to do.
mrydel

Postby fifty » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:48 pm

mrydel wrote:He says he needs $150 million to do what we want to do.

That's ridiculous. Do we really have a legit possibility of 4 30million+ donors?
fifty
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:49 pm

I asked him and about 4 of my former teammates, including Randy Allen, HC at Highland Park if we really needed one other than just for recruiting. The consensus was we do. I think the summer he's and chance of losing a player is a major factor.
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:51 pm

fifty wrote:

That's ridiculous. Do we really have a legit possibility of 4 30million+ donors?

He said he was in need of 4 or 5 $25-50 million dollar donors. Pony up.
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:01 pm

a grand IPF costs about 25 Million-that's why when you said 3-4 25-50 Million Dollar donors-and now $150 million (wow) I'm thinking circle the stadium in suites (which are cash cows) and filling in endzone with some type of modern seating/entertainment facility. Get capacity up to 40,000 . Some recruits have mentioned not only IPF and locker rooms but expansion too. I can't imagine why they need 100 Million much less 150 Million otherwise

Have we sold out our suites?

Stallion

Postby SMU 86 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Well I upped my donations this year to Peruna level when I renewed my basketball season tickets so I hope that helps. :D
Last edited by SMU 86 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Stallion wrote:a grand IPF costs about 25 Million-that's why when you said 3-4 25-50 Million Dollar donors-and now $150 million (wow) I'm thinking circle the stadium in suites (which are cash cows) and filling in endzone with some type of modern seating/entertainment facility. Get capacity up to 40,000 . Some recruits have mentioned not only IPF and locker rooms but expansion too. I can't imagine why they need 100 Million much less 150 Million otherwise

Have we sold out our suites?

He is talking about the total cost of all the new upgrades and facilities. The IPF, the new soccer facility, and the track cost. He mentioned some other things also but I never heard Ford mentioned. He just said he wanted to do all the renovation, and new construction to take place at the same time to save costs.
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:18 pm

looks like the Tennis facility cost a tad less than 11 Million in commitment pledges. I wouldn't think Track or Soccer Stadium would cost much more that. I'm guessing a new swimming facility must be part of those estimates

https://www.smu.edu/News/2015/tennis-co ... 9march2015

Stallion

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Could be. He did not specifically mention it but it could be.
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football