PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How'd the team look?!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How'd the team look?!

Postby skyscraper » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:13 am

Our OL is a hot mess and Davis will spend most of his time scrambling during jailbreaks. Just maintain low expectations for 2015 and you'll be fine because this thing is headed in the right direction.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:31 am

i think a few solid points have been made in this thread. it wasn't pretty at all, but you can't make too much out of it either. We clearly don't have the depth to play 1's against 2/3's, there were lots of walkons on the field at various times according to my roster. The O Line has lots of work to do, but they are also going through a lot of changes and the up tempo makes that even more difficult. Trying to go up tempo will cause you to make a ton more mistakes in the short term no doubt. And Spring games are usually ugly. i watched UTs spring game on TV for a bit yesterday, and it was pretty ugly too. INTs, missed tackles, penalties. Matt Davis will never play in the NFL most likely but to me he looked yesterday like a guy who if he's given a bit of protection can win us some games in the American.
Hoop Fan

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:57 am

CargoGunki wrote:Meanwhile in Houston, the Spring Game went fairly well.

And no one cares
CalallenStang

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:24 am

Hoop Fan wrote:i think a few solid points have been made in this thread. it wasn't pretty at all, but you can't make too much out of it either. We clearly don't have the depth to play 1's against 2/3's, there were lots of walkons on the field at various times according to my roster. The O Line has lots of work to do, but they are also going through a lot of changes and the up tempo makes that even more difficult. Trying to go up tempo will cause you to make a ton more mistakes in the short term no doubt. And Spring games are usually ugly. i watched UTs spring game on TV for a bit yesterday, and it was pretty ugly too. INTs, missed tackles, penalties. Matt Davis will never play in the NFL most likely but to me he looked yesterday like a guy who if he's given a bit of protection can win us some games in the American.

Matt will play safety or receiver at the next level assuming he has no career ending injuries. He has NFL level athleticism, just not an NFL arm
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby knuckleup » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:07 pm

JasonB wrote:
mrydel wrote:Line looked much better than Gresham.

Yes. But Line also ran behind the first team line more than Gresham did. Gresham looked nice out in space on the dump off pass from Davis as well as on the long run that he broke.

Line looked good today, but he still looks half the size of his brother to me. Gresham hasn't shown me anything that screams superstar just yet. I think that when we get to the fall, Line will be a flex player between the second TE and occasional RB, and the frosh will push Gresham for the starting spot.

The coaches absolutely love Line though. They love his toughness and his knowledge of the game. He will have an important role on the team in the fall.

Blah blah blah like a broken record. Line is the starter Embrace it and get on board
knuckleup
Junior Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:13 pm

CargoGunki wrote:Meanwhile in Houston, the Spring Game went fairly well.

Free Slurpee's for everyone?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Single digit arrests?
RGV Pony

Postby PonyKai » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:21 pm

No protests over student fees being misappropriated?
PonyKai

Postby mrydel » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:33 pm

When the Houston students were told to attend the Spring game they all drove 25 miles north.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby fifty » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:54 pm

mrydel wrote:I do not know his speed and could not tell. Is he fast? He certainly looks the part.

Sutton looked very good yesterday. He has legit speed. 4.5ish sounds about right.
fifty
Heisman

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:09 pm

We need to recognize that we had 15 kids couldn't play due to injuries--one of the costs of full contact. But, better now than in the fall.

We will be just as dependent upon QB play as we have been for the past six years (in reality every college team in the country). If we can settle down with one QB and not have to rotate constantly due to injury we could have a better season that many of us expect.

Most important, the heart is coming back. Last year, on any scale was a downer for the players. When the entire coaching situation is in limbo and the losses mount, kids begin to doubt themselves. "Heart" can win a few games and keep us competitive for a number of quarters against opponents we shouldn't be able to compete against.

I think we can win 3-4 and be proud of these kids!
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:29 pm

I will be proud of them with no wins if the effort is there. They have been mistreated and now is the time to start enjoying the game and hopefully the wins will come.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby fifty » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:48 pm

I greatly look forward to being physically prepared game #1 so we can beat unt and jmu.

I've had my fill of JJ's no-hitting until Baylor.
fifty
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:21 pm

mrydel wrote:When the Houston students were told to attend the Spring game they all drove 25 miles north.

That was a good one.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Pony Boss » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:04 pm

CargoGunki wrote:
mrydel wrote:When the Houston students were told to attend the Spring game they all drove 25 miles north.

SMU students wouldn't walk 25 feet to an SMU game.

No one cares what you have to say, why do you come to a rival's board to spew your trash?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football