PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How'd the team look?!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How'd the team look?!

Postby footballdad » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Our DB's will make a lot of receivers look like NFL prospects this year.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:06 pm

To answer the original question: like a junior varsity team. Other than 1 or 2 players, that's pretty much how they looked. Small and slow and weak and boring. JMO.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:27 pm

footballdad,
As usual, your support of your son's teammates is admirable, but my opinion of Sutton has nothing to do with the guys he was going against.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMUer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:59 pm

I loved that we were signaling plays with a sign board...feels so cutting-edge college athletics!
SMUer

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:05 pm

They never ran the 6" pass play. Faked it a couple of times though.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:06 pm

So...what you all are saying is they did not impress at all and that is making you think we might not have a great 2015 season. Maybe even worse than 1-11? We probably had more people in the stands than at least 1 home game last season (and definitely more than home games after halftime). Let's look at the positive and prepare for a fall emphasized by excitement for the future, not depression for the past.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:07 pm

SMUer wrote:I loved that we were signaling plays with a sign board...feels so cutting-edge college athletics!

Let's be fair - it feels cutting edge high school and June would be hung out behind Ford if he did it. But I am all for it if it brings us wins
Last edited by couch 'em on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby JasonB » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:09 pm

ojaipony wrote:To answer the original question: like a junior varsity team. Other than 1 or 2 players, that's pretty much how they looked. Small and slow and weak and boring. JMO.

I'll have a lot of thoughts in the writeup, but keep in mind that most of the game you had 1's versus 2's. The 1's scored on offense 3 f their first 5 series against the number 2 D. The 2's got one first down against the number 1 D, that is when the DL was just running rampant.

There isn't a ton of depth on the team, so you saw Sutton abuse a walk-on corner and the entire 1st string D line dominate the 2nd string o line. I wouldn't take too much out of the game.

That said, I don't think Gaines, Sutton, Davis, Gresham, Briggs, Gentry, Lawler, Hollie, McCleneghan to name a few look like a JV team, so that might be exaggerating just a bit. We have 5 legit starters on offense and 5 legit on defense right now. I think that number will grow by fall because of the S&C and the frosh class. But if the season started today, we would be better than last year but still struggle quite a bit.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:17 pm

Line looked much better than Gresham.
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:21 pm

JasonB wrote: But if the season started today, we would be better than last year but still struggle quite a bit.

That is not saying very much. June's assistant coaches should give their money back to SMU for how poorly all of them recruited.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:41 pm

mrydel wrote:Line looked much better than Gresham.

Yes. But Line also ran behind the first team line more than Gresham did. Gresham looked nice out in space on the dump off pass from Davis as well as on the long run that he broke.

Line looked good today, but he still looks half the size of his brother to me. Gresham hasn't shown me anything that screams superstar just yet. I think that when we get to the fall, Line will be a flex player between the second TE and occasional RB, and the frosh will push Gresham for the starting spot.

The coaches absolutely love Line though. They love his toughness and his knowledge of the game. He will have an important role on the team in the fall.
JasonB

Postby Digetydog » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:44 pm

mrydel wrote:Sounds good. Hard to tell his speed against us.

In a video posted online, the CB chasing Sutton on the long TD pass didn't look like he could catch Burcham from behind.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:49 pm

Also, Hicks looked better in the end with the first string. He connected a TD pass to Sutton that was pretty cool.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:59 pm

Let's be positive. Any opposing scouts did not glean any super secret info from us today.
mrydel

Postby jpe747 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:39 pm

In a Spring Game everyone is suppose to play so it is really hard to judge the team as one might in a real game. I think it is obvious the OL needs some work. However, they had some good blocks from time to time. Line and Gresham both had good moments as did Matt Davis and Hicks (although because of the nature of a Spring Game it is hard to say what the qb running abilities might be). I agree on Sutton. He was the star of the game. He's 6'4" wow a tall receiver on the Mustang team! I also liked Gaines. I thought the LBs looked good in general. The DB's have lots of work to do. Some receivers were wide open, (nonetheless they also made some very good plays). It will be interesting to see what happens over the summer. I can see these guys putting some excitement in Ford Stadium.
jpe747
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football