PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Weight room getting makeover

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Weight room getting makeover

Postby SMUer » Tue May 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Hope the upgrade included awesome wall graphics. I honestly think kids care more about how facilities make them feel than what's in them. Do you really think they keep track of the latest in weight training technologies? No. But the best is Kaiser btw. Hydrolic resistance...ooooooooooooh.
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Mexmustang wrote:Stallion, if you would get off the internet and get involved you might have some insight what was going on under Rossley, Cavan, Bennett, and Jones--promises made were not kept, from facilities to admissions. Why are you in denial? More important they were repeated to many of us and we subsequently challenged the administration. What were they going to do take our diplomas back?

The idea that Rick Hart or Brad Cheves can initiate any major project or initiate any fund raising effort without RGT's personal approval is naïve.

I am serious, it is been long over due that you get involved, you are obviously passionate about SMU and that is great--I wish there were 70,000 more of you. But, to chalk up 30 years of frustration to 'repeated bad hires' is simply too simplistic a reason. Change starts at the top! That is what leadership is about.

Ask yourself why we will get penalties over text gate in golf or for a secretary typing a paper when UNC and their 20 years of academic fraud won't be seriously considered until well after our penalties are accessed? and probably completed? More importantly, just who turned basketball? it had to be internal... unless the NCAA has someone in our coaches offices fulltime. The climate of success or failure comes from the top.

We had a local reporter and Pat Forde of Yahoo sports digging around. Do you honestly think we could have swept that under the rug? The golf coach gave free gear to recruits which is way worse than the texting you say.
smupony94

Postby fifty » Tue May 05, 2015 8:22 pm

SMUer wrote:Hope the upgrade included awesome wall graphics. I honestly think kids care more about how facilities make them feel than what's in them. Do you really think they keep track of the latest in weight training technologies? No. But the best is Kaiser btw. Hydrolic resistance...ooooooooooooh.

Both of those are good ideas, I agree. Wall graphics, twitter/video it. Then get some magic piece of equipment (ex: Keiser) and say it's used to train world record holders in power events. Something like that. Make it unique. That's a good use of money in my book. I have no idea what we even got which makes me uneasy.

http://www2.keiser.com/en/news/Legendar ... ses_Keiser
Last edited by fifty on Tue May 05, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fifty
Heisman

Postby fifty » Tue May 05, 2015 8:30 pm

smupony94 wrote:We had a local reporter and Pat Forde of Yahoo sports digging around. Do you honestly think we could have swept that under the rug? The golf coach gave free gear to recruits which is way worse than the texting you say.

That's what happens when you're in a major city instead of some nowhere college town.
fifty
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:44 pm

I rail on our administration as they suck a cheating but they did the right thing this time
smupony94

Postby BigT3x » Tue May 05, 2015 10:09 pm

SMUer wrote:Hope the upgrade included awesome wall graphics. I honestly think kids care more about how facilities make them feel than what's in them. Do you really think they keep track of the latest in weight training technologies? No. But the best is Kaiser btw. Hydrolic resistance...ooooooooooooh.

Constantly amazed by how stupid y'all think these "kids" are. You think a 17 year old visiting from Southlake Carroll isn't going to notice the difference in what we had vs. what he's accustomed to? They aren't idiots.
BigT3x
All-American

Postby SMUer » Tue May 05, 2015 10:25 pm

BigT3x wrote:

Constantly amazed by how stupid y'all think these "kids" are. You think a 17 year old visiting from Southlake Carroll isn't going to notice the difference in what we had vs. what he's accustomed to? They aren't idiots.

I happen to teach in a high school and coach high school-level athletes; so I feel I have a pretty good feel for the demographic we are speaking about. Unless their parents were athletes, most have fairly unsophisticated views of weight training and what they should be doing in the weight room. I feel recruits would be much more impressed by wall-sized graphics of SMU athletes kicking arse than the brand/age of the bench they'll be using. I'm glad we are improving equipment, but if we're are going to lipstick this pig for $1.3M, let's buy it sexy new dress.
SMUer

Postby PonyKai » Wed May 06, 2015 8:11 am

GreenbeltPony wrote:
Stallion wrote:I'm not going to continue to respond to your scatterbrained, uniformed regurgitation of nonsense. You're wondering why I'm so naïve? REALLY? I was the loudest, most persistent voice on all SMU boards detailing the exact reasons supported with comprehensive facts explaining why SMU couldn't compete during the Rossley, Cavan, and Bennett regimes. By about 2008 those problems were all fixed and June Jones became the biggest problem. He was a decent coach pulling one of the biggest fraudulent heists ever on SMU by performing only half the requirements of the job while being paid at a BCS level salary. Compare June Jones from Day 1 with Chad Morris from Day 1. Chad Morris is BCS Level Coach-June Jones is a Sun Belt Level Coach. Larry Brown has shown we can compete nationally in Basketball and now Chad Morris going to prove it again in Football. And I'm going to enjoy it so much because for the first time in 2 decades I was fully on board with both hirers from Day 1. I know what needed to be done to turn this program around and hopefully you can learn something about College Sports. June is going to get shown up by a Texas high school coach with no head coaching experience. June Jones on the other hand will never be trusted again to ever coach a decent program

Meanwhile I'll leave you with your dire predictions in July of last year:

"Fortunately, June has two more seasons and nothing you youngsters can do about it. The people that count see the success an athletic program can have if the support is there and know that football hasn't received the same. Not only would our top donors be in an uproar, but the press would make SMU a laughing stock.

Who are you going to hire after to run June off? And just remember when you makeup or prepare your list that SMU isn't going to pay any assistant coach, never having head coaching experience any where near $2,000,000. Good luck finding the money if our major donors-$20,000,000 and up, opt out."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bu ... ted_States

A+
PonyKai

Postby Morris Code 11 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:42 am

Under no circumstance should anyone be treating this as anything other than a really, really positive thing. Upgrading weight room and facilities? There are plenty of recruits that put this above academics, city life, women etc. when it comes to choosing schools. They spend more time in the weight room than the field, why are people [deleted] about this?
"We're not a hurry-up no-huddle offense, we're a hurry-up no-huddle football team and program. It's gonna start with our secretaries, its gonna resonate with maintenance department, everyone, they're gonna understand what 'tempo' is all about."
Morris Code 11
Scout Team

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed May 06, 2015 10:23 am

Battered wife syndrome is ugly. It'll take time to rid ourselves (collectively) of it here. Like Chad has said his number one objective is to change the culture of this program. Everything about it has been rotten for years. There has been no unified vision and certainly no unified effort on behalf of the administration, athletic department, students, and fans to make this thing a truly respectable national program. Like Coach Morris has told recruits, "We are going to get this done with you or without you." That goes for the battered wife fans as well.

If any of you have been down in our weight room in the last few years you'd know this was sorely needed. Go check out weight rooms at other college programs and then tell me you think we have comparable. You won't. We are just in the band aid stage right now. Coaches offices, weight room, meeting rooms, upgrading technology, etc. These are things the staff could do relatively easy and with little capital investment. The big changes are coming. I really think once people see the plans for the IPF the battered wives around here will start to see the vision of what is coming. There are some really exciting things that will be happening in the next 12-24 months. For the first time literally in decades we have a unified vision from our leadership. Enjoy it.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Bergermeister » Wed May 06, 2015 10:23 am

Morris Code 11 wrote: Under no circumstance should anyone be treating this as anything other than a really, really positive thing.

Obviously, Chad Morris said we needed this. I wholeheartedly trust his assessment.

[quote]If any of you have been down in our weight room in the last few years you'd know this was sorely needed.[quote]
Our weight room was a dungeon from the git-go.
Bergermeister

Postby footballdad » Wed May 06, 2015 10:48 am

Battered wife, battered wife, battered wife, battered wife, battered wife......

say it 5 times fast StallionModelT, we know you love to hear yourself say it. :roll:

Next thread
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed May 06, 2015 10:53 am

footballdad wrote:Battered wife, battered wife, battered wife, battered wife, battered wife......

say it 5 times fast StallionModelT, we know you love to hear yourself say it. :roll:

Next thread

I'll be here long after junior is gone. Not worried about a small fry like you.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby footballdad » Wed May 06, 2015 11:28 am

OK Mr. Big Fry

I'm sure you're the one that wrote the check for that new equipment :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Wed May 06, 2015 11:35 am

footballdad wrote:OK Mr. Big Fry

I'm sure you're the one that wrote the check for that new equipment :lol:

Did June burn your kids redshirt, in an idiotic way I assume, last year? Just curious....
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football