PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Weight room getting makeover

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Weight room getting makeover

Postby PonyFan » Tue May 05, 2015 2:50 pm

By "one man and one man only," I assume you mean RGT? I seriously doubt that. Rick Hart can ask. Cheves (development guy) can ask. Coaches, when they get to meet the big donors, can ask. The difference here seems to be that the guys with the deep pockets like and believe in Hart and Morris, so they're a little more free with their checkbooks.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue May 05, 2015 2:51 pm

Mexmustang wrote:Vic our former trainer and SMU linebacker and now at FSU began complaining about the weight room under Bennett, then under June. Just another in a long list of broken promises to two of our coaches that had the projects indefinitely deferred, but the money committed. Do you really believe our former coaches didn't ask? or they liked the frayed carpets, marked walls, and cheap furniture in their offices? One man and one man only has the absolute power over the permission to ask our alumni for money, regardless of the projects.

Poor June having to deal with an 8 year old weight room when he was hired. Maybe nobody liked the guy enough to want to remodel it for him. SMU has raised and poured unequaled millions of dollars into its facilities and coaching salaries for a private, non BCS program with 10,000 fans. The only schools that can even touch SMU in this regard are state institutions using student fees. When June sat on his [deleted] in Hawaii this staff is working their butts off clearly demonstrating what a half-assed job June did. Screw your tired Gerald Turner hate
Last edited by Stallion on Tue May 05, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Tue May 05, 2015 2:57 pm

skyscraper wrote: 2. It can be moved to the IPF whenever it gets built

You can be sure they won't put used equipment in the new facility. It'll ALL be brand new. If it is not used at another facility on campus, it will be sold or donated to another school(s). Maybe split among some DISD schools.
The new facility will be huge and a big time showplace. The band aid era is just about over.
Bergermeister

Postby Mexmustang » Tue May 05, 2015 3:02 pm

The money was essentially there. No, not in the account of the AD, but Bennett's and Jones's and even Cavan's financial backers are many of the same people now desperate to see Chad succeed.

Chad besides being a great coach was wise to ask former coaches and boosters what had been going on under prior coaches. It was very important that these promises were committed to him prior to accepting the job and as he was quoted, in front of two of our major boosters--not just to football, but the university as well. He is even smarter to use this 'honeymoon' period to not just start some of this work, but publicize the projects, the start dates, the projects and the various commitments that were promised. Nothing like the power of the press to enforce an unwritten contract.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue May 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Name one President of a non-BCS school in the entire United States who has approved the expenditure of more funds on athletic facilities and coaching salaries not originating from student fees. Have fun.

BTW when are we going to regret losing June Jones like you said?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby blackoutpony » Tue May 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Turner's likes - fountains, bricks, and diagonally striped ties

Turner's dislikes - sports, greeks, and fun
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fifty » Tue May 05, 2015 3:24 pm

For a mil, I would like to learn of 1 or 2 cool things they got. What do u sell recruits on with what you got? From that youtube video, it doesn't look like a great use of 7 figures. Maybe video was premature, idk
fifty
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Tue May 05, 2015 3:34 pm

fifty wrote:For a mil, I would like to learn of 1 or 2 cool things they got. What do u sell recruits on with what you got? From that youtube video, it doesn't look like a great use of 7 figures. Maybe video was premature, idk

The 7 figures includes everything they did in the coaches offices, etc.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Tue May 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Stallion, if you would get off the internet and get involved you might have some insight what was going on under Rossley, Cavan, Bennett, and Jones--promises made were not kept, from facilities to admissions. Why are you in denial? More important they were repeated to many of us and we subsequently challenged the administration. What were they going to do take our diplomas back?

The idea that Rick Hart or Brad Cheves can initiate any major project or initiate any fund raising effort without RGT's personal approval is naïve.

I am serious, it is been long over due that you get involved, you are obviously passionate about SMU and that is great--I wish there were 70,000 more of you. But, to chalk up 30 years of frustration to 'repeated bad hires' is simply too simplistic a reason. Change starts at the top! That is what leadership is about.

Ask yourself why we will get penalties over text gate in golf or for a secretary typing a paper when UNC and their 20 years of academic fraud won't be seriously considered until well after our penalties are accessed? and probably completed? More importantly, just who turned basketball? it had to be internal... unless the NCAA has someone in our coaches offices fulltime. The climate of success or failure comes from the top.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby 03Mustang » Tue May 05, 2015 4:22 pm

It's on every level to show leadership, not just those at the top. Morris is the first I remember to grab the reins and act like a CEO instead of a cog in the wheel.

Any successful organization has leaders at every level. Jones, Bennett, Cavan, etc. all passed the buck and quit trying to drive change. Don't you think that is a common issue at major companies in every industry? It's up to the people lower down the chain to hold those above and below them accountable, not to just go with the flow.

If someone with the personality of Chad Morris was the coach of this program in 2003 we wouldn't be where we are now, period.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm not going to continue to respond to your scatterbrained, uniformed regurgitation of nonsense. You're wondering why I'm so naïve? REALLY? I was the loudest, most persistent voice on all SMU boards detailing the exact reasons supported with comprehensive facts explaining why SMU couldn't compete during the Rossley, Cavan, and Bennett regimes. By about 2008 those problems were all fixed and June Jones became the biggest problem. He was a decent coach pulling one of the biggest fraudulent heists ever on SMU by performing only half the requirements of the job while being paid at a BCS level salary. Compare June Jones from Day 1 with Chad Morris from Day 1. Chad Morris is BCS Level Coach-June Jones is a Sun Belt Level Coach. Larry Brown has shown we can compete nationally in Basketball and now Chad Morris going to prove it again in Football. And I'm going to enjoy it so much because for the first time in 2 decades I was fully on board with both hirers from Day 1. I know what needed to be done to turn this program around and hopefully you can learn something about College Sports. June is going to get shown up by a Texas high school coach with no head coaching experience. June Jones on the other hand will never be trusted again to ever coach a decent program

Meanwhile I'll leave you with your dire predictions in July of last year:

"Fortunately, June has two more seasons and nothing you youngsters can do about it. The people that count see the success an athletic program can have if the support is there and know that football hasn't received the same. Not only would our top donors be in an uproar, but the press would make SMU a laughing stock.

Who are you going to hire after to run June off? And just remember when you makeup or prepare your list that SMU isn't going to pay any assistant coach, never having head coaching experience any where near $2,000,000. Good luck finding the money if our major donors-$20,000,000 and up, opt out."

Stallion

Postby Planter's Punch » Tue May 05, 2015 5:09 pm

Bergermeister wrote:You can be sure they won't put used equipment in the new facility. It'll ALL be brand new. If it is not used at another facility on campus, it will be sold or donated to another school(s). Maybe split among some DISD schools.
The new facility will be huge and a big time showplace. The band aid era is just about over.

I doubt NCAA rules let a school just give away equipment to local HS they recruit, but maybe SMU can sell it for a $1.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby GreenbeltPony » Tue May 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Stallion wrote:I'm not going to continue to respond to your scatterbrained, uniformed regurgitation of nonsense. You're wondering why I'm so naïve? REALLY? I was the loudest, most persistent voice on all SMU boards detailing the exact reasons supported with comprehensive facts explaining why SMU couldn't compete during the Rossley, Cavan, and Bennett regimes. By about 2008 those problems were all fixed and June Jones became the biggest problem. He was a decent coach pulling one of the biggest fraudulent heists ever on SMU by performing only half the requirements of the job while being paid at a BCS level salary. Compare June Jones from Day 1 with Chad Morris from Day 1. Chad Morris is BCS Level Coach-June Jones is a Sun Belt Level Coach. Larry Brown has shown we can compete nationally in Basketball and now Chad Morris going to prove it again in Football. And I'm going to enjoy it so much because for the first time in 2 decades I was fully on board with both hirers from Day 1. I know what needed to be done to turn this program around and hopefully you can learn something about College Sports. June is going to get shown up by a Texas high school coach with no head coaching experience. June Jones on the other hand will never be trusted again to ever coach a decent program

Meanwhile I'll leave you with your dire predictions in July of last year:

"Fortunately, June has two more seasons and nothing you youngsters can do about it. The people that count see the success an athletic program can have if the support is there and know that football hasn't received the same. Not only would our top donors be in an uproar, but the press would make SMU a laughing stock.

Who are you going to hire after to run June off? And just remember when you makeup or prepare your list that SMU isn't going to pay any assistant coach, never having head coaching experience any where near $2,000,000. Good luck finding the money if our major donors-$20,000,000 and up, opt out."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bu ... ted_States
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby smusic 00 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:08 pm

Stallion FTW!

Also, kids were visiting from HS's with more up to date equipment, that's the big reason why it had to be the latest and shiniest stuff. Keep up with the neighbors and all that.
smusic 00

Postby Digetydog » Tue May 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Stallion wrote: BTW when are we going to regret losing June Jones like you said?

When Hell freezes over.

BTW - It is amazing that so many people think questioning a major expenditure is negativity. The simple fact is that SMU has a limited amount of money to spend on athletics. If dropping nearly $2M on new weight room equipment was a smart move, I am all for it. If that $2M could be better spent, it is smart to consider our options.
Last edited by Digetydog on Wed May 06, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football