PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Everett Golson

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Everett Golson

Postby ender3 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:50 am

So he's going to A&M?
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Fri May 08, 2015 1:07 pm

smucali wrote:from 247sports: sources saying that golson is considering South Carolina & Georgia and wants to stay close to home.

HCCM knows South Carolina, knows Texas, and knows QBs.

still holding out hope that Golson could be a Mustang.

If HCCM knows QBs, he knows that Golson is a bad fit for our team.

Even if Golson wasn't terrible, he would be going to a bad team with bad line. We are better of focusing on developing Davis and/or Hicks.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:49 pm

ender3 wrote:So he's going to A&M?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But you have to be of a certain age to get the joke.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby smucali » Thu May 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Pony ^ wrote:no chance. He will be going to a big time program. My bet is still on Texas. Texas @ Notre Dame week 1. It's taylor made TV and I will also be there. That would make the game pretty interesting considering Texas would most likely get destroyed with Swoopes at QB

big-time programs slowly getting scratched off the list per the article linked/copied below.

SMU could guarantee a starting spot to Golson and let it ride this year.

hypothetically, would you be ok w HCCM making that guarantee and taking EG?

lot of big-time college coaches clearly want him, why again shouldn't HCCM?

+++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... te-georgia

Every Everett Golson transfer rumor, all in one place
By Peter Berkes  @peterberkes on May 14, 2015, 9:03a +

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Every bit of news and rumors about where the former Notre Dame quarterback might transfer, all in one place.

It's hard to keep track of where Everett Golson is or isn't headed. The former Notre Dame quarterback will definitely be playing for a new team this fall, but the identity of that team is still a mystery.

We've taken every rumor and piece of news about Golson and compiled it here in one place, and we'll be adding more as the information becomes available.

The gist of it all is that the former BCS Championship Game quarterback will likely be playing closer to his home state of South Carolina, and that he's become the summer's hottest free agent for teams looking to deepen their QB competitions. His shaky 2014 at Notre Dame, which yielded the Irish job to Malik Zaire in the first place, means he's not a sure bet, but he's got enough talent to win any of the following jobs, if things go right.

Alabama

5/13: The Crimson Tide are interested, but aren't optimistic the SEC will grant the waiver required for him to transfer anywhere in the conference.

Florida State

5/11: FSU has reportedly emerged as the frontrunner. (Note FSU wouldn't need the aforementioned waiver, which only applies to the SEC.)

5/11: Golson went to Tallahassee for a visit.

5/13: FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher said he wouldn't guarantee Golson the starting spot if he picks the Seminoles.

Florida

5/11: Golson also went to Gainesville to meet with the Gators.

Georgia

5/12: Golson will be visiting the Bulldogs, but the timeframe is still uncertain.

5/13: Intrigue on Twitter, as Golson and Mark Richt are both following each other now.

LSU

January: A report claimed Golson reached out to LSU about a potential transfer, something he felt strong enough about to cryptically deny in a tweet.

5/7: LSU appears on initial lists of potential destinations.

South Carolina

5/13: Golson will not be coming back to his home state, as Steve Spurrier said the Gamecocks aren't interested.

Texas

5/7: The Longhorns could be interested.

5/11: Golson was blocked from transferring to Texas, as it is on Notre Dame's 2015 schedule.

UCLA

5/12: Despite being on Golson's initial list of teams he would transfer to, UCLA has had no contact with him and none is planned.
smucali
Recruit

Postby Digetydog » Thu May 14, 2015 4:55 pm

smucali wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:no chance. He will be going to a big time program. My bet is still on Texas. Texas @ Notre Dame week 1. It's taylor made TV and I will also be there. That would make the game pretty interesting considering Texas would most likely get destroyed with Swoopes at QB

big-time programs slowly getting scratched off the list per the article linked/copied below.

+++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... te-georgia

Every Everett Golson transfer rumor, all in one place
By Peter Berkes  @peterberkes on May 14, 2015, 9:03a +

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Every bit of news and rumors about where the former Notre Dame quarterback might transfer, all in one place.

It's hard to keep track of where Everett Golson is or isn't headed. The former Notre Dame quarterback will definitely be playing for a new team this fall, but the identity of that team is still a mystery.

We've taken every rumor and piece of news about Golson and compiled it here in one place, and we'll be adding more as the information becomes available.

The gist of it all is that the former BCS Championship Game quarterback will likely be playing closer to his home state of South Carolina, and that he's become the summer's hottest free agent for teams looking to deepen their QB competitions. His shaky 2014 at Notre Dame, which yielded the Irish job to Malik Zaire in the first place, means he's not a sure bet, but he's got enough talent to win any of the following jobs, if things go right.

Alabama

5/13: The Crimson Tide are interested, but aren't optimistic the SEC will grant the waiver required for him to transfer anywhere in the conference.

Florida State

5/11: FSU has reportedly emerged as the frontrunner. (Note FSU wouldn't need the aforementioned waiver, which only applies to the SEC.)

5/11: Golson went to Tallahassee for a visit.

5/13: FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher said he wouldn't guarantee Golson the starting spot if he picks the Seminoles.

Florida

5/11: Golson also went to Gainesville to meet with the Gators.

Georgia

5/12: Golson will be visiting the Bulldogs, but the timeframe is still uncertain.

5/13: Intrigue on Twitter, as Golson and Mark Richt are both following each other now.

LSU

January: A report claimed Golson reached out to LSU about a potential transfer, something he felt strong enough about to cryptically deny in a tweet.

5/7: LSU appears on initial lists of potential destinations.

South Carolina

5/13: Golson will not be coming back to his home state, as Steve Spurrier said the Gamecocks aren't interested.

Texas

5/7: The Longhorns could be interested.

5/11: Golson was blocked from transferring to Texas, as it is on Notre Dame's 2015 schedule.

UCLA

5/12: Despite being on Golson's initial list of teams he would transfer to, UCLA has had no contact with him and none is planned.

The idea that Golson would automatically start over Davis is laughable.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Thu May 14, 2015 5:43 pm

smucali wrote:

I'm not sure why Morris would guarantee the starting QB job to a senior graduate transfer who'll only have a few weeks to learn the offense.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smucali » Thu May 14, 2015 7:50 pm

sbsmith wrote:
smucali wrote:

I'm not sure why Morris would guarantee the starting QB job to a senior graduate transfer who'll only have a few weeks to learn the offense.

i don't disagree. but EG will only have a few weeks to learn the offense anywhere he goes.

that list of potential destinations is dwindling and it seems to hinge on a guaranteed starting spot / SEC waiver.

SMU looking like more and more of a potential option, HCCM's South Carolina ties included.
smucali
Recruit

Postby footballdad » Thu May 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Morris way too savvy to make the Golson mistake.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby smucali » Fri May 15, 2015 11:35 am

footballdad wrote:Morris way too savvy to make the Golson mistake.

what about when HCCM turns EG into an NFL draft pick, conf player of the year?

turns recruiting up a notch or two. would be a major splash for SMU, esp knowing that EG and Zaire will be compared all year long. EG is motivated and so is HCCM.

if EG doesn't work out after 4-5 games then i think HCCM would be fine switching QBs.

risk/reward here favors SMU and HCCM. i think we take the flyer and see what shakes out
smucali
Recruit

Postby footballdad » Fri May 15, 2015 1:23 pm

smucali wrote:

turns recruiting up a notch or two. would be a major splash for SMU, esp knowing that EG and Zaire will be compared all year long. EG is motivated and so is HCCM.

if EG doesn't work out after 4-5 games then i think HCCM would be fine switching QBs.

risk/reward here favors SMU and HCCM. i think we take the flyer and see what shakes out

Golson = NFL QB :lol: :lol: :lol:

50/50 chance at best EG would be any better than Davis in this offense.

Not to mention Davis has other built in advantages from team chemistry, to leadership, to playbook & team familiarity, reps, etc, etc.

You also seem to forget that Golson lost his job, as a Senior no less, and he's a turnover machine to boot. With a previous suspension as the cherry on top.

BAD risk/reward

Does Morris/SMU want this type of scrutiny?:

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/feat ... e-20150515
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby smucali » Fri May 15, 2015 1:45 pm

footballdad wrote:
smucali wrote:

Not to mention Davis has other built in advantages from team chemistry, to leadership, to playbook & team familiarity, reps, etc, etc.

You also seem to forget that Golson lost his job, as a Senior no less, and he's a turnover machine to boot. With a previous suspension as the cherry on top.

BAD risk/reward

I said Draft Pick not "NFL QB" - those are different terms. Not here to defend EG as the next Russ WIlson (he does not have that set of intangibles). I do think he is draftable.

Davis had 5 picks to 3 TDs last season.

EG had 14 picks to 29 TDs last season.

EG stands to greatly improve his TO issues while Davis still has plenty to learn as a QB.

You seem to forget that EG was a legit Heisman candidate up to and thru the ND/FSU game last season.

HCCM seems like much more of a "player's coach" that could bring the best out of EG, something Brian Kelly was able to do only on occasion.

Very interested to see where Golson ends up. Still holding out hope that HCCM makes it happen.

Arguing that Davis or any other option currently at SMU is better than Golson is funny in my view but I'm not pretending to know everything.

Just seems like a good fit.
smucali
Recruit

Postby smucali » Fri May 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Article quote:

"So where does that leave? Group of Five destinations like Houston and SMU are attractive, given both have first-year coaches with strong track records of developing quarterbacks as offensive coordinators. SMU’s Chad Morris pursued Golson while the former was an assistant at Clemson, and there’s no doubt Golson could jump in for the Mustangs immediately."

Article link:
http://cfbhuddle.com/2015/05/07/everett ... ree-agent/

Article copied below:
Everett Golson Just Became College Football’s Hottest Free Agent

Posted on May 7, 2015 by Kyle Kensing
Everett Golson Just Became College Football’s Hottest Free Agent
RELATED POST

The promising, frustrating, interrupted and altogether tumultuous Notre Dame career of quarterback Everett Golson is over. ESPN.com’s Brett McMurphy and FoxSports.com’s Bruce Feldman each reported Thursday that Everett Golson is transferring upon his graduation later this month.

Everett Golson is suddenly the most intriguing college quarterback in the nation, perhaps providing a one-year solution for a program in desperate need of a veteran playmaker. Of course, taking on Golson means accepting the risk inherent with his erratic play.

The Golson who started 2014 with 19 touchdown passes and four scoring runs can lead a team to championship contention. The Golson whose second half of the season ended in being benched is another story.

Plenty of teams need a quarterback enough that Everett Golson is worth the risk. He’s experienced and, when connecting, quite explosive. That alone would make him an upgrade for several teams that fancy themselves conference or even national championship contenders.

Who says Golson won’t start in Notre Dame Stadium come Week 1? Tyrone Swoopes has never met his potential at Texas, and Charlie Strong forgot his name during testimony in the Oklahoma State-prompted investigation of Joe Wickline earlier this spring.

Golson could be the perfect stop-gap while Jerrod Heard preps. However, I wouldn’t anticipate Brian Kelly and Notre Dame administration signing off on its two-year starter going to finish out his career for the Irish’s Week 1 opponent.

The same goes for members of the ACC, the conference with which Notre Dame has a five-game scheduling agreement. This year’s ACC opponents for the Irish are Virginia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Pitt and Wake Forest. Clemson heavily pursued Golson as a prep out of Myrtle Beach, but the Tigers are set with promising youngster DeShaun Watson at quarterback.

The all-around bleak outlook at quarterback in the SEC translates to a number of possible destinations. LSU has a pair of youngsters in Anthony Jennings and Brandon Harris, neither of whom was effective in the Tigers’ disappointing 2014. Adding Everett Golson is a way of continuing their competition to determine the program’s future direction at quarterback, without sacrificing on-field potential this season.

Morever, NOLA.com’s Jim Kleinpeter reported in January that Golson had reached out to LSU staff.

As a South Carolina native with an offer from Steve Spurrier coming out of high school, Everett Golson makes sense for the Gamecocks. Barrett Sallee of Bleacher Report wrote last month that South Carolina could start true freshman Lorenzo Nunez, with none of the Gamecocks veterans separating themselves during spring competition.

However, Golson’s 2013 suspension from the University of Notre Dame for academic fraud means the quarterback would have to appeal for admittance into any SEC university. H/T Friend of the Site Josh Webb of Scout:

So where does that leave? Group of Five destinations like Houston and SMU are attractive, given both have first-year coaches with strong track records of developing quarterbacks as offensive coordinators. SMU’s Chad Morris pursued Golson while the former was an assistant at Clemson, and there’s no doubt Golson could jump in for the Mustangs immediately.

However, Nebraska is an intriguing possibility that would keep Everett Golson in the Power Five. Golson is the kind of dual-threat playmaker the Cornhuskers have long favored, but his desire to play in the NFL might make new head coach Mike Riley’s pro-set an attractive option.

Nebraska returns quarterback Tommy Armstrong, but Riley has proven willing to keep quarterback competitions open for as long as necessary. In 2012, he benched eventual Pac-12 passing record setter Sean Mannion for Cody Vaz over a stretch in November. Thus, Riley opening up the position over fall camp could be a very real possibility.

No matter where Everett Golson lands, his value is high.
smucali
Recruit

Postby Digetydog » Fri May 15, 2015 2:22 pm

footballdad wrote:
smucali wrote:

BAD risk/reward

While I agree with 90% of your post, I have to defend him on the risk/reward issue. Although he had a suspension for cheating in school, I have to give him credit for sticking with ND and earning his degree. Most kids would have quit/transferred/messed up again.

But, I think it is unlikely that he could beat out Davis.

He needs to go to a team where he is the 5th best player on the offense. IN that situation, he can win and grow as a QB.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri May 15, 2015 6:38 pm

Golson lead a mediocre ND team in 2012 to an appearance in the national championship game.

He had a pretty damn good numbers year last season as well, and without him, ND is .500. He almost beat Florida State.

Turnover machine? He threw twice as many TDs as INTS. Winston threw 18. I am sure you would turn him down as well.

This guy did a lot more than Gilbert before GG transferred here. He would be more successful. Especially in this offense.

I hate ND, and I hate cheaters. But if you guys think he wouldn't come in here and win the job immediately, you are on crack.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smucali » Fri May 15, 2015 7:02 pm

JasonB wrote:But if you guys think he wouldn't come in here and win the job immediately, you are on crack.

/thread
smucali
Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Football