PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cowlishaw on HCM/SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cowlishaw on HCM/SMU

Postby ghost » Tue May 12, 2015 2:56 pm

reporting and in particular sports reporting has lowered their standards dramatically in the last decades. It is less about quality,interesting sports information that is true and verified through reliable sources and more about filling in a column and airtime on talk shows and columnists. Not an original thought in the bunch. All they do is steal ideas from other media and give opinions over and over. Rather than if you don't know and aren't willing to put in the time to find out, then shut up. I guess that is what the younger generation wants, opinions and not facts
ghost
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:07 pm

Remember when games weren't on tv and you read about them in full detail the next day in the paper?
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue May 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Twice a Day

I remember waiting on the paperboy to throw the Dallas Times Herald in the afternoon. HOT off the presses.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Topper » Tue May 12, 2015 6:43 pm

ghost wrote:reporting and in particular sports reporting has lowered their standards dramatically in the last decades. It is less about quality,interesting sports information that is true and verified through reliable sources and more about filling in a column and airtime on talk shows and columnists. Not an original thought in the bunch. All they do is steal ideas from other media and give opinions over and over. Rather than if you don't know and aren't willing to put in the time to find out, then shut up. I guess that is what the younger generation wants, opinions and not facts

In all honesty there isnt enough hard sports news being reported. The raw scores, stats etc are all available online from multiple sources. That leaves puff pieces, slam pieces, or opinions. I live in Austin and the media feed me a steady diet of "isn't UT wonderful?" stories that people down here gobble up but make me puke. Never see the Dallas media do the same for SMU.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Wed May 13, 2015 10:52 am

Topper wrote:In all honesty there isnt enough hard sports news being reported. The raw scores, stats etc are all available online from multiple sources. That leaves puff pieces, slam pieces, or opinions. I live in Austin and the media feed me a steady diet of "isn't UT wonderful?" stories that people down here gobble up but make me puke. Never see the Dallas media do the same for SMU.

UT is Austin's Cowboys. It's all they have. Back in the day before professional sports hit Dallas, there was much more coverage of SMU. Remember, the Cotton Bowl was built and expanded to accommodate the desire of Dallas people to watch Doak Walker and SMU. In those days, the SMU Home Coming parade was through downtown Dallas. The times they have changed. :(
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Previous

Return to Football