PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Garrett Gilbert Playing Time for Pats

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Garrett Gilbert Playing Time for Pats

Postby SMUer » Tue May 12, 2015 11:04 pm

Cork a bat? 8 game suspension.
Tar a baseball? 8 game suspension.
Use a nail file on a baseball? 10 games suspension.

Intentionally and deceptively tamper with a football's inflation? 4 game suspension.

This argument that Brady is a great QB who would've still beaten the Colts, properly inflated footballs or not, is completely missing the point. Almost every major sport equipment cheating scandal involves a guy (or gal) who doesn't need to cheat, that nonetheless is still uses manipulation of equipment to try to gain an advantage. Brady is good? Big deal. Being sneaky behind the officials back just makes Tom look more brazen and more deceitful. The precedent is clear across other major sports: don't [gary patterson] with game equipment or you face a multi-game suspension. Think 4 games (25% of the season) is too much? Relax. An arbiter will probably be called, who will probably knock it down to 2-3 games. Still don't like it? Don't [gary patterson] with the game equipment!
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed May 13, 2015 7:21 am

When all of this is over, they should just do away with the rule. What does it matter how much air is in the football? Let the QB decide how he likes it. Use regulation footballs but let the QB air them however he likes. I liken it to a baseball bat, not the baseball. Each batter gets to choose the weight, length, and handle of his bat as long as it conforms to general guidelines. I do not see where regulating air pressure does anything to better the game.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Dukie » Wed May 13, 2015 9:00 am

mrydel wrote:When all of this is over, they should just do away with the rule. What does it matter how much air is in the football? Let the QB decide how he likes it. Use regulation footballs but let the QB air them however he likes. I liken it to a baseball bat, not the baseball. Each batter gets to choose the weight, length, and handle of his bat as long as it conforms to general guidelines. I do not see where regulating air pressure does anything to better the game.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/five ... te-report/

Scroll down to the fumble statistics. Regulating the air pressure to within an acceptable range (exactly the sort of "general guidelines" that should apply) keeps the game fair.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Wed May 13, 2015 9:40 am

mrydel wrote:When all of this is over, they should just do away with the rule. What does it matter how much air is in the football? Let the QB decide how he likes it. Use regulation footballs but let the QB air them however he likes. I liken it to a baseball bat, not the baseball. Each batter gets to choose the weight, length, and handle of his bat as long as it conforms to general guidelines. I do not see where regulating air pressure does anything to better the game.

Fair point; however, (with the exception of golf) most stick and ball sports require the players to use the same ball.

Simple Rule: the referees provide the balls and insure that they are properly inflated.
- Both teams use the same balls. They are rotated in/out of play by the officials without regard to which team is on offense.
- There is no such thing as a "kicking" ball.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed May 13, 2015 11:51 am

This is more like golf. Each team has its own ball. Not true of baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. You bring you own and can adjust it to within certain limits. Why does it have to have those limits? It does nothing to keep it level since there already is a variance. Just drop the guidelines. Let each team determine what level they believe is best for their maximum performance.
mrydel

Postby malonish » Wed May 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Next year this needs to happen at least once.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Wed May 13, 2015 12:22 pm

mrydel wrote:This is more like golf. Each team has its own ball. Not true of baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. You bring you own and can adjust it to within certain limits. Why does it have to have those limits? It does nothing to keep it level since there already is a variance. Just drop the guidelines. Let each team determine what level they believe is best for their maximum performance.

I was with you when you said within general guidelines. Now are you saying to remove all guidelines? Or are you saying the guidelines should be greatly expanded? As others have pointed out, they already have general guidelines and the issue is whether the patriots went outside of the guidelines.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Wed May 13, 2015 12:24 pm

The good news is that Garrett has lots of preseason time on the field to prove himself. Would love to see him do well and get an opportunity to stick around.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Digetydog » Wed May 13, 2015 1:08 pm

mrydel wrote:This is more like golf. Each team has its own ball. Not true of baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. You bring you own and can adjust it to within certain limits. Why does it have to have those limits? It does nothing to keep it level since there already is a variance. Just drop the guidelines. Let each team determine what level they believe is best for their maximum performance.

When it comes to rules, nobody should copy Golf.

Letting the teams screw with the balls was an epic failure.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Wed May 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed May 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Grant Carter wrote:

I was with you when you said within general guidelines. Now are you saying to remove all guidelines? Or are you saying the guidelines should be greatly expanded? As others have pointed out, they already have general guidelines and the issue is whether the patriots went outside of the guidelines.

I am saying have an official NFL football. Let each team decide how much air to put in it. It will eventually even out to where everyone is about the same and nobody has to do any type of oversight as to whether they are within any limits.
mrydel

Postby ender3 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:07 pm

SMUer wrote:Cork a bat? 8 game suspension.

Intentionally and deceptively tamper with a football's inflation? 4 game suspension.

I think your estimates are generally correct as to what the suspensions would be.

You do realize that Brady's suspension is the most serious of anything you listed, right?

8 games in baseball? 5% of season
10 games in baseball? 6% of season

4 games in football? 25% of season
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Wed May 13, 2015 7:40 pm

ender3 wrote:
SMUer wrote:Cork a bat? 8 game suspension.

I think your estimates are generally correct as to what the suspensions would be.

You do realize that Brady's suspension is the most serious of anything you listed, right?

8 games in baseball? 5% of season
10 games in baseball? 6% of season

4 games in football? 25% of season

And cheating in a football game affects 1/16 of the season vs 1/162 for baseball. Furthermore, cheating in the AFC championship is nowhere near the same as corking a bat in a random baseball game in May/June.

The bottom line: 4 games is probably the new normal punishment in the post Ray Rice world.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Thu May 14, 2015 8:16 am

The only thing this proves is SMUZEY
will be consuming beer via the shotgun method on the boulevard nothing ever changes .
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:18 pm

[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
smusic 00

PreviousNext

Return to Football