PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OT - Fox Sports says LHN losing tens of millions of dollars

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OT - Fox Sports says LHN losing tens of millions of doll

Postby Pony81 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:05 pm

I hear you Digitydog, but I think as long as UT sees a move to the Pac12 as positive for the brand they have political muscle to get it done. even if it works out to be a net negative to the state as you point out.

It has got to be killing Texas to look over at A&M and see Alabama, LSU, S.Carolina, Auburn come to town while meanwhile back at the 40 acres, you have Kansas, KState, Iowa State, Baylor, TTU, TCU. I mean it must just kill them that the Ags get all these marque teams while UT is playing those that are far less well known.

Thus I think the Patterson would see a move to the PAC 12 as good for the brand plus it would widen demand for tickets due to all the Cali transplants in Austin. UT could point to high profile USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford as elite schools on the UT level. While A&M is playing redneck power schools on their academic level. This is how UT snobs view the world.
So, SMU will go Big 12 either soon if they have to expand to get a championship game or when UT and OU leave and the thing becomes a SWC lite - which is what it should have been if Ann Richards and Bob Bullock hadn't interfered.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Thu May 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Pony81 wrote:I hear you Digitydog, but I think as long as UT sees a move to the Pac12 as positive for the brand they have political muscle to get it done. even if it works out to be a net negative to the state as you point out.

It has got to be killing Texas to look over at A&M and see Alabama, LSU, S.Carolina, Auburn come to town while meanwhile back at the 40 acres, you have Kansas, KState, Iowa State, Baylor, TTU, TCU. I mean it must just kill them that the Ags get all these marque teams while UT is playing those that are far less well known.

Thus I think the Patterson would see a move to the PAC 12 as good for the brand plus it would widen demand for tickets due to all the Cali transplants in Austin. UT could point to high profile USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford as elite schools on the UT level. While A&M is playing redneck power schools on their academic level. This is how UT snobs view the world.
So, SMU will go Big 12 either soon if they have to expand to get a championship game or when UT and OU leave and the thing becomes a SWC lite - which is what it should have been if Ann Richards and Bob Bullock hadn't interfered.

As a Texas Ex (grad school), I don't know that most alums would be happy in the P12.

While there are more name schools in the P12, you give up two things:
1) Texas residents would give up cheap and easy road trips; and
2) Talking trash to your friends from B12 schools.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:33 pm

Yeah could be. Though the fans I know love to come to Dallas for the OU game but could care less about going to Waco, Ames, Manhattan, Ft. worth, or Stillwater.

But it's true that the cost see a P12 road game would go way up.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu May 14, 2015 9:14 pm

It still baffles me the networks spent so much money on a conference with such luxurious destinations as Waco, Huntington, Ames, Manhattan, Lubbock, Ft. Worth, and Stillwater.

I don't believe for a second Texas and Oklahoma bring enough viewers to make it worth it overall, but they are all cashing the checks!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:37 pm

smupony94

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 pm

smupony94 wrote:Image

Poor wording
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu May 14, 2015 10:24 pm

You have to love those Baptist girls.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Digetydog » Fri May 15, 2015 4:23 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:You have to love those Baptist girls.

I did my best to love as many Baylor girls as possible!!
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football