PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Predict the starting defense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Predict the starting defense

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat May 16, 2015 11:06 pm

Here's my shot...

DE- Wood
DT- Minor
DT- Gentry
DE- M. Scott
LB- Horton
LB- Yenga
CB- J.R. Richardson
SS- Justice
FS- D. Richardson
Star- Randolph
CB- H. Richardson
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Predict the starting defense

Postby JasonB » Sun May 17, 2015 1:38 pm

I didn't see JR on the updated roster. That means that Montes and Montgomery are battling for second corner opposite Horace.

Also, Justice was backing up D Rich in the spring. It looked to me like it is set up for that frosh to come in and start at safety.

Rhone is a starter in the middle, with Horton backing him up. Yenga at the Will with Longoria or one of the Mitchells backing him up. Shaq at the star with Kyrion Mitchell backing him up. Horton looked great in the spring game, but hasn't beaten Rhone out yet. Don't discount that Rhone ran this defense in high school, so he immediately stepped in and made all the calls.

I think both Ends are going to be a battle. Wood versus Lawler on one side, and Scott versus McCeleneghan on the other. Moving Gentry inside essentially opens up the chance for Scott to come in and challenge right away.

With Reed no longer in the picture, I would not be surprised to see Wood moved to Tackle permanently.

Two deep. Clear starter ahead of the comma, a slash indicates a battle for the starting spot:

LE: Scott/McCleneghan
DT (1): Gentry, Hollie
DT (2): Minor/Wood
RE: Lawler, Seals/Nabusoshi
MLB: Rhone,Horton
Will: Yenga, Longoria/Jackson Mitchell
Star: Shaq, Kyrion/Frosh
SS - D Rich, Justice
FS: Frosh, Castle/Jeanlys
CB: Horace, Frosh
CB: Montes/Montgomery
JasonB

Postby footballdad » Sun May 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Katy, bar the door! Baylor & TCU gonna be ugly.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun May 17, 2015 5:41 pm

footballdad wrote:Katy, bar the door! Baylor & TCU gonna be ugly.

Oh OK cool b/c most of us had those as winnable games before the roster came out.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby footballdad » Sun May 17, 2015 6:04 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
footballdad wrote:Katy, bar the door! Baylor & TCU gonna be ugly.

Oh OK cool b/c most of us had those as winnable games before the roster came out.

Hmmm, heard a lot of talk of being 'competitive' in those games. Never heard winnable from anyone.

Best dial back the competitive talk with this defense as it currently stands. Just sayin.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun May 17, 2015 6:45 pm

Besides the actual trolls from other schools, I'm not sure if anyone on PonyFans will enjoy Baylor and TCU kicking the crap out of us more than footballdad this year. I imagine he's got BU and TCU tshirts ordered for the games already
East Coast Mustang

Postby Planter's Punch » Sun May 17, 2015 6:57 pm

M. Scott is talented but is only 220lbs, do you really think he will start as a true freshman?
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun May 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Planter's Punch wrote:M. Scott is talented but is only 220lbs, do you really think he will start as a true freshman?

He's listed at 230 in the recruiting roundup from Feb. I bet he could be up around 245 by Sept
East Coast Mustang

Postby Lefty » Sun May 17, 2015 11:14 pm

DE> McCleneghen
DT> Gentry
DT> Minor
DE> Wood
LB> Yenga
LB> Rhone
LB> Randolph
CB> Montgomery
CB> H Richardson
S> Castle
S> D Richardson
Lefty
All-American

Postby footballdad » Mon May 18, 2015 10:55 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Besides the actual trolls from other schools, I'm not sure if anyone on PonyFans will enjoy Baylor and TCU kicking the crap out of us more than footballdad this year. I imagine he's got BU and TCU tshirts ordered for the games already

:lol: :lol: why the anger? At least I won't be whining & moaning like you when the crap kicking happens. Love Morris & staff.

The team is what it is, just being realistic and tempering expectations. If Morris can manufacture 6 wins he should win coach of the year. More realistic we see something like the Western Michigan turnaround. Would be thrilled with something similar, and they went 1-11 in the first year of the new coach.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ClickClack » Mon May 18, 2015 1:28 pm

I stood about 5 feet from the Scott Brothers at the spring game...they don't look 230 lbs, but probably accurate given their long 6'5" frame. They looked no where near ready to see game action on the DL.

In the 3-4 they could be OLB's and probably closer to seeing the field. But in our D, they are going to have a hand in the dirt and need to be much stronger physically.
ClickClack
All-American

Postby redpony » Mon May 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Per Billy Embody tweet- J.R. and Nick Reed no longer on team.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Mon May 18, 2015 9:48 pm

ClickClack wrote:I stood about 5 feet from the Scott Brothers at the spring game...they don't look 230 lbs, but probably accurate given their long 6'5" frame. They looked no where near ready to see game action on the DL.

In the 3-4 they could be OLB's and probably closer to seeing the field. But in our D, they are going to have a hand in the dirt and need to be much stronger physically.

I do think that 220 lb guy at the beginning at least is going to be a 3rd down pass rush guy. Seals in the spring game, for example. So you have a chance for that. Wood I think does slide inside with Reed leaving. I think one of the Scott Brothers is really more geared towards the Star position.
JasonB

Return to Football