PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Online Roster

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Online Roster

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun May 17, 2015 11:03 am

Looks like they've updated heights and weights. Good to see that Fister, Natour, and Richards have beefed up to 260, 257, and 250 lbs respectively. /sarcasm

Also, I noticed Nick Reed is no longer on the roster. DT spot is going to be very thin this year. I wonder if someone might convert from OL over there in August.

http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/m-foo ... l-mtt.html
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Online Roster

Postby footballdad » Sun May 17, 2015 11:41 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Looks like they've updated heights and weights. Good to see that Fister, Natour, and Richards have beefed up to 260, 257, and 250 lbs respectively. /sarcasm

Also, I noticed Nick Reed is no longer on the roster. DT spot is going to be very thin this year. I wonder if someone might convert from OL over there in August.

One of our QB's as big as 3 of these linemen. No excuse for Fister and Richards to be this light.

Looks like Nabushoshi dropped 30+ as well, all the way down to 226 and out of the rotation. :roll:

I guess the new S&C coach breaking them down before building them back up? :?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun May 17, 2015 12:02 pm

footballdad wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Looks like they've updated heights and weights. Good to see that Fister, Natour, and Richards have beefed up to 260, 257, and 250 lbs respectively. /sarcasm

One of our QB's as big as 3 of these linemen. No excuse for Fister and Richards to be this light.

Looks like Nabushoshi dropped 30+ as well, all the way down to 226 and out of the rotation. :roll:

I guess the new S&C coach breaking them down before building them back up? :?

That was my thought, get rid of the bad weight and then beef them up this summer. I'd imagine some guys lost some weight going through a month of up-tempo practices.
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stallion » Sun May 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Why have kids on scholarship if their weight negates the possibility that they see the field-that's 3 Lineman that are about 30 pounds away from playing

add Chad Pursley at 263

and is Seals really up to 6-5 now?

maybe Nabushoshi is moving positions. I still think they ought to move Richards to TE since he can't play at his recruited position at that weight
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyPride » Sun May 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Maybe Elie Nabushosi has lost a few pounds, but I'd be shocked if it's anywhere near that much. Maybe that's a typo? Maybe they meant 266?
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby JasonB » Sun May 17, 2015 1:27 pm

1) Nabusoshi may have had his weight exaggerated by the old staff. Also, with Seals being the same weight, they are essentially our 3rd down ends to rush the QB.
2) Losing Nick sucks. He was having a great spring. It sounds like he might have screwed something up and isn't on the team any more. That is a bummer.
3) Glad to see Brown and Hyder still on the roster after missing the spring. You never know if they were being encouraged to leave or something, but good to see they are sticking around.
4) JR isn't on the roster either. Horace and Montgomery are starters right now, Montes and Wyatt backing up. Really need a frosh at DB and at S to come in ready to play.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Sun May 17, 2015 1:59 pm

I count 63 scholarship players who signed with SMU-not sure if we have some players who have since been put on scholarship

We now have 22 recruits(not counting Ben Hicks who is already on Roster)-so that equals 85 and we should be right at the scholarship limit

See that wasn't too hard and we still have 4 months to go. We still have a ton of dead weight on that roster that will never play a game

Should be able to sign 28 players this year (with 3 being midterm additions).
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Planter's Punch » Sun May 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Richards reminds me of the old "strategy" of hoping recruited lineman would grow to size by junior year. His dad was All-SWC for SMU, so I am sure that was the hope, but relatively no change in a year makes me wonder if he ever wants to play.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun May 17, 2015 5:44 pm

JasonB wrote:1) Nabusoshi may have had his weight exaggerated by the old staff. Also, with Seals being the same weight, they are essentially our 3rd down ends to rush the QB.
2) Losing Nick sucks. He was having a great spring. It sounds like he might have screwed something up and isn't on the team any more. That is a bummer.
3) Glad to see Brown and Hyder still on the roster after missing the spring. You never know if they were being encouraged to leave or something, but good to see they are sticking around.
4) JR isn't on the roster either. Horace and Montgomery are starters right now, Montes and Wyatt backing up. Really need a frosh at DB and at S to come in ready to play.

Regarding bullet point four why not try moving some of the smaller wideouts that have zero shot at playing time (Halverson, Lancaster, Lil' Prime) over to defense and see if they can at least provide some depth. Once Castille, Thomas, Honey, Gailliard, and Proche get on campus those guys are gonna be riding some serious pine if they don't switch to defense or transfer out.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun May 17, 2015 7:04 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
JasonB wrote:1) Nabusoshi may have had his weight exaggerated by the old staff. Also, with Seals being the same weight, they are essentially our 3rd down ends to rush the QB.

Regarding bullet point four why not try moving some of the smaller wideouts that have zero shot at playing time (Halverson, Lancaster, Lil' Prime) over to defense and see if they can at least provide some depth. Once Castille, Thomas, Honey, Gailliard, and Proche get on campus those guys are gonna be riding some serious pine if they don't switch to defense or transfer out.

Agreed. Wasn't Lancaster a DB out of HS?
East Coast Mustang

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun May 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Cedric Lancaster and Nate Halverson were both corners out of high school and the Hawaiian genius stole them for his gimmicky offense. Robbed these two kids of two years of their college career trying to pigeon hole them into a position which was not conducive with their natural skills.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Planter's Punch » Sun May 17, 2015 10:00 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Cedric Lancaster and Nate Halverson were both corners out of high school and the Hawaiian genius stole them for his gimmicky offense. Robbed these two kids of two years of their college career trying to pigeon hole them into a position which was not conducive with their natural skills.

June also told a 295lb Nose tackle to become a running back among other things, offensive genius

http://www.acusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4797
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby Lefty » Sun May 17, 2015 11:21 pm

Planter's Punch wrote:Richards reminds me of the old "strategy" of hoping recruited lineman would grow to size by junior year. His dad was All-SWC for SMU, so I am sure that was the hope, but relatively no change in a year makes me wonder if he ever wants to play.

I couldn't put on weight, and I tried, in my first 2 years at SMU, and Richards is working and running more than I ever did. Based on his dad, I'd say there's a lot of room to grow.
Lefty
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Mon May 18, 2015 8:47 am

Just because someone is on the roster doesn't mean that they remain on an athletic scholarship.

1) For kids that qualify for significant need based scholarships, academics and a good financial aid package might mean they don't have to transfer to a double directional school with 3rd tier academics.
2) For kids who's parents can afford to pay for SMU, are they really going to want to transfer to a lower level state school just to play football?
3) Some of our players are probably going to be looking hard at "Medical" Scholarships due to injuries.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Mon May 18, 2015 10:49 am

StallionsModelT wrote:Cedric Lancaster and Nate Halverson were both corners out of high school and the Hawaiian genius stole them for his gimmicky offense. Robbed these two kids of two years of their college career trying to pigeon hole them into a position which was not conducive with their natural skills.

Absolutely no excuse for June, but apparently Morris and Malone haven't figured it out either, even with the extreme lack of depth in the secondary. Haven't heard a word of either guy running any reps at all at corner or safety.

Maybe when all the talented frosh receivers show up somebody will figure it out. Maybe one or both of them will approach Malone themselves to ask about a potential change of position when they realize they're falling down the depth chart.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football