PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Online Roster

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Online Roster

Postby JasonB » Mon May 18, 2015 11:11 am

footballdad wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:Cedric Lancaster and Nate Halverson were both corners out of high school and the Hawaiian genius stole them for his gimmicky offense. Robbed these two kids of two years of their college career trying to pigeon hole them into a position which was not conducive with their natural skills.

Absolutely no excuse for June, but apparently Morris and Malone haven't figured it out either, even with the extreme lack of depth in the secondary. Haven't heard a word of either guy running any reps at all at corner or safety.

Maybe when all the talented frosh receivers show up somebody will figure it out. Maybe one or both of them will approach Malone themselves to ask about a potential change of position when they realize they're falling down the depth chart.

The coaches I talked to before the spring all indicated that during the spring they weren't going to ask guys to switch- they wanted to see players in action and then determine where to play them later. I think you will see some more movement heading into the fall.

That said, I don't think it really matters. If you aren't fast enough or athletic enough to break into the starters at WR in the spring, you aren't going to get past Horace, Montgomery, or Montes in the secondary. They would be in competition with a frosh for the 4th corner instead of Wyatt.

On top of that, after listening to the most recent interview, if two of those top 3 get hurt, I bet they move Shaq over, and then after that it would be a safety (Jeanlys?), and then after that is the "4th corner" on the depth chart. So, really that Wyatt/Reyes/Frosh/Lancaster/Halverson competition is really for 6th on the depth chart.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Mon May 18, 2015 11:56 am

JasonB wrote:
footballdad wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:Cedric Lancaster and Nate Halverson were both corners out of high school and the Hawaiian genius stole them for his gimmicky offense. Robbed these two kids of two years of their college career trying to pigeon hole them into a position which was not conducive with their natural skills.

Absolutely no excuse for June, but apparently Morris and Malone haven't figured it out either, even with the extreme lack of depth in the secondary. Haven't heard a word of either guy running any reps at all at corner or safety.

Maybe when all the talented frosh receivers show up somebody will figure it out. Maybe one or both of them will approach Malone themselves to ask about a potential change of position when they realize they're falling down the depth chart.

The coaches I talked to before the spring all indicated that during the spring they weren't going to ask guys to switch- they wanted to see players in action and then determine where to play them later. I think you will see some more movement heading into the fall.

That said, I don't think it really matters. If you aren't fast enough or athletic enough to break into the starters at WR in the spring, you aren't going to get past Horace, Montgomery, or Montes in the secondary. They would be in competition with a frosh for the 4th corner instead of Wyatt.

On top of that, after listening to the most recent interview, if two of those top 3 get hurt, I bet they move Shaq over, and then after that it would be a safety (Jeanlys?), and then after that is the "4th corner" on the depth chart. So, really that Wyatt/Reyes/Frosh/Lancaster/Halverson competition is really for 6th on the depth chart.

In all fairness, the thought of running Horace, Montgomery, or Montes out there is terrifying. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Lancaster, who at least had offers to play corner at Colorado State and Houston out of high school, could beat any of them out. The wide receiver experiment failed miserably, but he is reasonably athletic, so hopefully he can move back to that side of the ball and at least provide some depth, since our corners appear to have been made of chop sticks and paper mache in recent years.

Halverson? He was a better wide receiver than safety in high school. Not sure he'll be able to help anywhere. His senior year, he caught 54 balls for 1,100 yards and 13 TD's, but only had 29 TOTAL tackles as a safety on D. Not sure you can really blame June there.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ClickClack » Mon May 18, 2015 1:14 pm

No one is beating out Horace Richardson. Provided he stays healthy, he will be on an NFL roster. He is very athletic and has exceptional ball skills...I'm hoping he stays healthy this year, because we need him.

I am pretty excited about Montgomery's combination of size and speed...hasn't proved anything yet though.

Montes is probably the loudest talker who doesn't back it up on the field. He's fine as a nickel back but he should not be an every down CB. He does not have the coverage skills. He is a pretty sure tackler though.
ClickClack
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Mon May 18, 2015 1:24 pm

ClickClack wrote:No one is beating out Horace Richardson. Provided he stays healthy, he will be on an NFL roster.

Coach Mason, is that you?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Mon May 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Is that "Hungry" Horace?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonyPride » Mon May 18, 2015 3:50 pm

blackoutpony wrote:It's not out of the realm of possibility that Lancaster, who at least had offers to play corner at Colorado State and Houston out of high school, could beat any of them out.

Interesting idea. Yes, he was an accomplished CB in high school and had offers, and I'm not suggesting for a minute that he couldn't. But he was hurt during the spring, and I wonder if the coaches would consider a guy who hasn't even practiced on defense since 2012, and that was in high school.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby ojaipony » Mon May 18, 2015 4:30 pm

I wonder if JR is off because of health reasons. Didn't he have an issue that could flare up at any moment? Feel bad for the kid if that's the case. Really bummed about him being off.
ojaipony

Postby PonyPride » Mon May 18, 2015 4:32 pm

He has had bad luck with health, but according to social media, he graduated this semester.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby mrydel » Mon May 18, 2015 5:26 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Halverson? He was a better wide receiver than safety in high school. Not sure he'll be able to help anywhere. His senior year, he caught 54 balls for 1,100 yards and 13 TD's, but only had 29 TOTAL tackles as a safety on D. Not sure you can really blame June there.

You have been watching too much SMU football. Perhaps he played for a team that actually tackled the opposition before they made it to the safety. :lol:
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby blackoutpony » Mon May 18, 2015 5:44 pm

PonyPride wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:It's not out of the realm of possibility that Lancaster, who at least had offers to play corner at Colorado State and Houston out of high school, could beat any of them out.

Interesting idea. Yes, he was an accomplished CB in high school and had offers, and I'm not suggesting for a minute that he couldn't. But he was hurt during the spring, and I wonder if the coaches would consider a guy who hasn't even practiced on defense since 2012, and that was in high school.

Oh I'm not suggesting that he would play and have it all come back at a high level, but it just seems that if he's going to be on the team, it would be more productive to throw him back over there and see what happens. He's not going to help us at receiver, but the secondary is such a gaping vortex, that it's worth a shot.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon May 18, 2015 5:59 pm

Halverson was First Team All-State at both WR and DB. He also had some great Special Teams numbers. You can't project high school stats when a guy plays both ways-or on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. First, teams stay away from elite high school defenders. Second, they may have rested him on running downs. Halverson thought he was going to play CB when he signed

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/ ... tate-team/

As for Lancaster-I saw 3 games he played in high school. He is an instinctive defensive player and looked completely lost at WR where he caught like 10 passes. He had almost as many catches on defense ie interceptions with 7. He was All Greater Houston as a CB-not recognized on Offense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby blackoutpony » Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 am

Stallion wrote:Halverson was First Team All-State at both WR and DB. He also had some great Special Teams numbers. You can't project high school stats when a guy plays both ways-or on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. First, teams stay away from elite high school defenders. Second, they may have rested him on running downs. Halverson thought he was going to play CB when he signed

And he was the number 9 player in the state who only a 2*. Tells you about the quality of football played in Oregon.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue May 19, 2015 1:06 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
Stallion wrote:Halverson was First Team All-State at both WR and DB. He also had some great Special Teams numbers. You can't project high school stats when a guy plays both ways-or on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. First, teams stay away from elite high school defenders. Second, they may have rested him on running downs. Halverson thought he was going to play CB when he signed

And he was the number 9 player in the state who only a 2*. Tells you about the quality of football played in Oregon.

Acker was the number 7 player in the state. He was barely a 3 star, but had similar offers to Halverson and turned out pretty decent. Not saying he is that type of player, but not everyone coming out of Oregon sucks. There isn't nearly as much time spent evaluating players in that are of the country, hence Boise gets decent recruits every year.

The video on Rivals is Halverson at DB. Keep in mind that when he came in, June was trying to increase playmakers on offense and we had experience in the secondary.

That said, I don't think any of them see the field anyway. But they probably do have a better shot of it in the secondary than at WR.
JasonB

Postby footballdad » Tue May 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Don't they play 8-man football in Oregon? 8)
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football