PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU to win 8 games next year.....oh dear.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU to win 8 games next year.....oh dear.

Postby Stallion » Tue May 19, 2015 6:17 pm

I'm looking FORWARD- just not to 2015. The main goal is to install his exciting style of play and hopefully groom some of the younger players to be a threat in 2016 or 2017. Rebuilding can be fun when the direction is headed up-which is all Morris needs to build recruiting momentum. Some of my greatest memories are from guys like Rickey Wesson, Tweetie Hunt, Mike Ford, Emmanuel Tolbert who laid the foundation for the Pony Express. One of the biggest victories in Ron Meyer's career was a 35-31 upset of Arkansas in Shreveport to break a 7 game losing streak end the season 3-8 in 1976. Ask him-I guarantee you he would agree. Recruiting momentum-something to sell. Ron Meyer's first full recruiting class while not star-studded was several steps up and allowed SMU to put a competitive brand on the program that he could sell the next class. Stair Step UP
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:25 pm

instead of a now-tired 'Pony Up', I agree:

STEP UP
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue May 19, 2015 7:09 pm

I'd be more than happy with three wins, as long as we're competitive and such.

All about building for the future right now.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby blackoutpony » Tue May 19, 2015 8:00 pm

Those of you expecting 5 or 6 wins are completely nuts and have no understanding of football. Is it possible? Sure. Should you expect it based on the product at hand? Hell freaking no.

Give Morris some time. Good grief. We lost to UNT 43-0 ([deleted] that hail Mary bs). That's so much ground to make up, it's ridiculous,

3-4 wins would be a great building block. If we get there next year, and continue to recruit well, 5-6 in 2016 ain't crazy anymore.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue May 19, 2015 8:08 pm

You must have left before the final gun!!!!!!!!!!

June Jones' last TD in his career
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Tue May 19, 2015 9:19 pm

I remember these types of articles before June's first season. That worked out really well as I recall.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ojaipony » Tue May 19, 2015 9:49 pm

I'd agree with the "you people are delusional expecting 5 wins" statement except this ain't the old swc - many of the teams we play are dogshit - Tulane? UNT? JMU? Yes the first 2 have beaten us recently but damn man come on.
ojaipony

Postby sbsmith » Tue May 19, 2015 10:13 pm

ojaipony wrote:I'd agree with the "you people are delusional expecting 5 wins" statement except this ain't the old swc - many of the teams we play are dogshit - Tulane? UNT? JMU? Yes the first 2 have beaten us recently but damn man come on.

You're right it's not the old SWC, it's more like the WAC or C-USA where we were frequently beaten by "dogshit" teams.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Pony Boss » Tue May 19, 2015 10:42 pm

8 is maybe pushing it, but if it happens I'll take the wins this guys scenario is calling ANY DAY over the 2 win conservative estimates from some of our most esteemed posters here.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Fresno Mustang » Wed May 20, 2015 12:19 am

Just manage your expectations and drink a lot on the boulevard this season. More wins will come in the years to follow
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Wed May 20, 2015 2:15 am

Pony Boss wrote:8 is maybe pushing it, but if it happens I'll take the wins this guys scenario is calling ANY DAY over the 2 win conservative estimates from some of our most esteemed posters here.

I'll look forward to your formal write up
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Wed May 20, 2015 2:16 am

Fresno Mustang wrote:Just manage your expectations and drink a lot on the boulevard this season. More wins will come in the years to follow

Ding ding ding!
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Wed May 20, 2015 8:42 am

BOP: It's a win win for me regardless: if we are good and get to 8 it's a dream and if we suck I'll be too drunk to care. :lol:
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Wed May 20, 2015 11:24 am

Pony Boss wrote:BOP: It's a win win for me regardless: if we are good and get to 8 it's a dream and if we suck I'll be too drunk to care. :lol:

I'll drink to that. 8)
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football