PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

From 76 to98 ???????

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

From 76 to98 ???????

Postby Tailwind » Thu Jun 28, 2001 2:57 pm

From last years edition to this years edition the Athlon Sports annual has us dropping 22 spots. I thought we would at least move up two spots, I mean with all the maturity we have on the team a year later. I Thought we could have only improved with time and that's what we got. With the new recruits how in the hell did we drop 22 spots. I mean Dang I know we are suppose to earn respect but hey we don't even get a chance to. ex:KSU.
Well football team let's ANTE-UP and show the world what's really happening on the Hill Top!!!
Tailwind

Re: From 76 to98 ???????

Postby Grider » Thu Jun 28, 2001 3:53 pm

I agree, that's embarrassing. I hope we prove them wrong this year. Otherwise, it's going to be even more embarrassing come next year's issue.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby graypony » Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:49 pm

There is a solution to this delimma. WIN.

We have to win at least all but one game in the WAC. Winning all of them would be even better, but that is a tough chore even when you have a senior laden, talented team like TCU had last year.

Also, we need to beat someone out of conference that we were not supposed to beat. This would mean any of our three OOC opponents (TCU, UNC, NCStU). To win two of them would be even better.

That's a steep hill to climb. Every year there is a team in the nation that surprises everyone and catches their imagination because winning in a dark horse situation. It's going to be somebody. It might as well be us.

But if we want some respect, we have to earn it. Winning is the only way.

If we can score points and our DB's have matured to a point that they not only not give up the cheap touchdowns but pick a few off every game, then anything can happen.

I know that it seems very unlikely for us, but mark my word. Some team in Div 1 who was picked to go 3-8 will go 8-3. It happens every year.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jun 30, 2001 9:35 am

couldn't agree more, Graypony. We will certainly be bigger, stronger, deeper and more experienced at almost every position this year, and the WAC schedule should be very competitive. I'd like to think we have a chance to win every conference game...unlike last year where some teams clearly dominated us.

As for the non-conference slate, we will be heavy underdogs in each of those contests, but both TCU & NCSU whipped us SO BADLY last year, there is the possibility they will take us lightly and maybe, just maybe, we can exact some revenge in at least one of those games.

I agree with your final comment. Why can't we be this year's Hawaii/San Jose St (the surprise WAC team). Every year there is one!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby portland pony » Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:04 pm

Well said guys. There is no reason why this team should not win this year. It is a Junior / Senior laden team. The WAC is a rather weak conference (if we can't win in the WAC then we should just pack it in). North Carolina has a new coach and has been down for a year or two, and NC State / TCU could take us lightly. If one of the two quarterbacks turns into a leader this team could start to score some points, and maybe just maybe we could win 7 or 8.
portland pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:14 pm

I'd be pretty happy to see this teaam go 5-3 in the WAC and 1-2 in it's non-conference slate, or 6-2 and 0-3 (bottom line is a 6-5 season). That might give us something to build on, especially with 18 returning starters in 2002.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TCUSA » Mon Jul 09, 2001 2:28 am

You ought to try falling from 18 in the country last season to anywhere from 64 to 72 in most of the mags. Bottom line-they're idiots.

You guys should have a good year this year (just wait until after our game to turn it on, please).
\"Fight 'em 'til Hell freezes over then fight 'em on the ice!\"- TCU Legend Dutch Meyer
TCUSA

Return to Football