PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big get (literally) for the Coogs

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Big get (literally) for the Coogs

Postby Planter's Punch » Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Houston staff is raising the bar, ready to see who HCCM will get next. Competition is a great thing.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Sat May 23, 2015 11:51 am

NTXCoog wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:
NTXCoog wrote:Throw in 4 star Jordan Elliott and 3 star Dixie Wooten now. I think the more that commit together, the more that will stay and sign.

Rivals has Oliver as a 4, Elliot as a 3 and Dixie as a 2. They're the best talent evaluation site and they don't overhype people just to get a certain number of players in each star catagory.

Don't get me wrong, those are some good pickups, and we'd be thrilled to have them, but slow your roll a little.

I'll buy that as a legitimate argument from you (even if I disagree) if you're consistent with your logic. Ben Hicks and David Moore having rankings of 5.5 on Rivals. Bowman Sells is ranked at 5.7. Are you saying that Sells is a better prospect than those 2?

Moore has a deeper and much longer offer list than sells. That wins out to me over stars every time. That said, they're both good qb prospects, but Moore has a higher ceiling and is a better fit for our offense. Sells was a good pickup, so I'd obviously be happy to have had him.

If you hold onto those guys, I'm very afraid of your dline already,
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Sat May 23, 2015 12:18 pm

After a year or two, I believe HCCM will start similarly corralling DFW talent. Will be great to do this from two fronts against the Big 12.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sat May 23, 2015 12:27 pm

We are going to be right there with UH in recruiting this year. The kids are out of school now-look for things to get hot this month
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Planter's Punch » Sun May 24, 2015 11:57 am

Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby footballdad » Sun May 24, 2015 6:08 pm

Stallion wrote:We are going to be right there with UH in recruiting this year. The kids are out of school now-look for things to get hot this month

Doubt we'll be right there with the DL recruiting, but a couple 3 stars with offers would be an improvement.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby RWcoogs » Mon May 25, 2015 12:57 am

Well Ohio brown you certainly do not know your history. Anyway Oliver isn't going anywhere he could have committed to any of those schools now be he chose UH. The recruiting is off the chart for Houston and besides having the number 1 and 3 rated DL in the state there is more coming.
RWcoogs

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon May 25, 2015 12:05 pm

RWcoogs wrote:Well Ohio brown you certainly do not know your history. Anyway Oliver isn't going anywhere he could have committed to any of those schools now be he chose UH. The recruiting is off the chart for Houston and besides having the number 1 and 3 rated DL in the state there is more coming.

Yes I agree he won't be going anywhere because commits always stick by their word two years prior to signing day.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon May 25, 2015 12:14 pm

I think they'll hold onto Oliver with his brother on the team. They'll have to work to keep the other guys because you know major programs will pull out all the stops over the next eight months-- just like we will with DMoore and Braxton Webb and the other guys we get.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Mon May 25, 2015 1:26 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:
RWcoogs wrote:Well Ohio brown you certainly do not know your history. Anyway Oliver isn't going anywhere he could have committed to any of those schools now be he chose UH. The recruiting is off the chart for Houston and besides having the number 1 and 3 rated DL in the state there is more coming.

Yes I agree he won't be going anywhere because commits always stick by their word two years prior to signing day.

That's the same for every school's commits. TexasTech's and TCU's commits have the same chance of flipping as Houston's kids and ours.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby pwnyxpress » Tue May 26, 2015 10:23 am

I guess sarcasm is beyond the reach of some...
pwnyxpress
All-American

Postby Prideful Pony » Tue May 26, 2015 11:51 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:
They're both good, but I think Moore has a higher ceiling and a better running ability. That said, I'm not sure we hold onto him through NSD, so we might go have to try and steal Sells in the end.

Been wondering where you've been. haha. But it is the off season, and our biggest news lately is just having Vick stolen from us by one of LB's pupils. :(

Yeah man, it's been a combination of both the offseason and I just started a new business. So I've been really busy with that and ramping it up. I actually just finished off my Master's degree and had been traveling quite a bit too from March-April. Took in my first UNC-Duke game and sat about 3 rows off the floor for Duke/Wake at Cameron, was pretty sick. Then had a bunch of presentations in NYC for various consulting projects...I can tell you more if interested but it was pretty damn cool to be presenting analytics findings to the GM of the NYG and giving draft advice. Like I said, just busy more than anything. You got my digits tho, hit me up anytime. I should be getting to see a lot of prospects on the AAU circuit here. Probably be living in the gym trying to get my sister prepared for college ball this fall, I think she thinks shes just gonna step on the court and start...not exactly the way it works at the D1 level ha.

Anyways, will definitely try to be more active, especially as I follow more hoops this summer. There's quite a few kids that I've been hearing about that I'll be getting my first look at.

What kind of analytics are you involved in? I'm a data/analytics guy and love the applications for sports -- wish I could work it instead of boring telecom/finance/what-have-you.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby NTXCoog » Tue May 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Prideful Pony wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:
They're both good, but I think Moore has a higher ceiling and a better running ability. That said, I'm not sure we hold onto him through NSD, so we might go have to try and steal Sells in the end.

Been wondering where you've been. haha. But it is the off season, and our biggest news lately is just having Vick stolen from us by one of LB's pupils. :(

Yeah man, it's been a combination of both the offseason and I just started a new business. So I've been really busy with that and ramping it up. I actually just finished off my Master's degree and had been traveling quite a bit too from March-April. Took in my first UNC-Duke game and sat about 3 rows off the floor for Duke/Wake at Cameron, was pretty sick. Then had a bunch of presentations in NYC for various consulting projects...I can tell you more if interested but it was pretty damn cool to be presenting analytics findings to the GM of the NYG and giving draft advice. Like I said, just busy more than anything. You got my digits tho, hit me up anytime. I should be getting to see a lot of prospects on the AAU circuit here. Probably be living in the gym trying to get my sister prepared for college ball this fall, I think she thinks shes just gonna step on the court and start...not exactly the way it works at the D1 level ha.

Anyways, will definitely try to be more active, especially as I follow more hoops this summer. There's quite a few kids that I've been hearing about that I'll be getting my first look at.

What kind of analytics are you involved in? I'm a data/analytics guy and love the applications for sports -- wish I could work it instead of boring telecom/finance/what-have-you.

I do analytics too. I've seen some of the stuff the Rangers and Cowboys do with Tableau at the DFW Tableau user group meetings. Pretty cool. Mostly sales stuff though.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby Hymie Weiss » Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 am

Tell HCCM he can take another one off his board. Houston Hightower OL Darta Lee (SMU offer) committed to UH yesterday, along with his teammate DE Michael Johnson. :D

#HTownTakeover
Hymie Weiss

Postby Pony Boss » Thu May 28, 2015 2:17 pm

CargoGunki wrote:SMU likes how our dust tastes.

Signing day is in February.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting