PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chip Brown...not a fan of Texas AD Steve Patterson

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Chip Brown...not a fan of Texas AD Steve Patterson

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:16 pm

And that's the problem in College football right there Jason B. The UT's focusing on increasing their revenues. I understand that is their right and privilege, but at some point, you get the enough is enough level. At some point, you have to recognize that if you get too much, no one will want to play you anymore. UT needs quality wins to make it to the Final Four if it wants National titles. Right now as we saw by what happened to Baylor and TCU, the Big XII doesn't provide those wins. So, UT will probably be shopping when it can. It will go to the highest bidder. If no one wants to meet its demands and it will try and crush the TCU's and Baylor's financially if it can, and you will see it flirt with the idea of independence if for no other reason than to get KU, Baylor, TCU, K State and others to come begging.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Sounds like the situation at AD at Michigan. He was a Michigan Man and Patterson is a UT alum. Both were money grabbers. Michigan AD is gone.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby WordUpBU » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:24 pm

JasonB wrote:You guys are making this conversation too complex.

When the big 12 was formed, some TV revenue was shared, but the rest was based on TV appearances.

UT and OU get more appearances than other schools, so they got most of the money.

Missouri, A&M, Nebraska and Colorado felt like they deserved more, and each of them know that when the current 6 year agreement for revenue sharing is up, UT and OU will go back to taking a lot of the money. So they all left for conferences that had equal distribution of money.

Halfway correct:

Correct- The big schools benefited from appearance based distribution of revenue.

Incorrect- Which schools felt which way.

Teams that were for it INCLUDED Texas, A&M, OU, Colorado, and Nebraska.

Everyone else didn't like it but lacked the 8 votes (75% needed) to change it. The only departure that was in the camp against it was Mizzou. The others? They literally voted for it time and time again without fail.

UT has made it very clear from the start that they are 100% focused on increasing revenue. Not the health of other schools or their alumni. Patterson is just keeping pace with that tradition.

Knowing several high up Ut alums and their reaction to Patterson vs Dodds I would say that's a bit too far. UT isn't ignoring money by any stretch but it's clearly a big shift under this guy and it's rubbing people raw to put it mildly.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby gostangs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:53 pm

It's really nothing new for UT. This has been their culture since Dodds first day. It's just a continuation.
gostangs

Postby Digetydog » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:12 am

gostangs wrote:It's really nothing new for UT. This has been their culture since Dodds first day. It's just a continuation.

While the culture hasn't changed, the new guy seems to be bad at the execution part. If he can't deal with people 1 on 1, he can't survive long on the 40 Acres.

If I was willing to write a $1m check to fund the IPF or natatorium, I am confident that Hart would take a meeting. I am confident that Hart knows everyone's who has a suite at Ford and Moody.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:09 am

I found this funny.

@char610:

Add it to the article @ChipBrownHD RT @BON_SBNation: Texas AD Steve Patterson forgot Jordan Spieth’s name. http://t.co/yC77HiDaZf
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Treadway21 wrote:I found this funny.

@char610:

Add it to the article @ChipBrownHD RT @BON_SBNation: Texas AD Steve Patterson forgot Jordan Spieth’s name. http://t.co/yC77HiDaZf

That's even funnier now.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Previous

Return to Football