PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

R & L Carrier Bowl

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

R & L Carrier Bowl

Postby ponyte » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:19 am

I'm not trying to put salt in a wound or rip open old scores. I am just passing this on.

I am reaching out to old friends now that I am back in LA. One, who was one of my best friends in High School, younger brother is the head of the New Orleans Sports Foundation. The Foundation is the local group that puts on the R & L Carrier Bowl. I had lunch with him and he told me they tried to get SMU to come to the R&L Bowl but June, in his impression, was only interested in Hawaii.

Now I'm not saying R&L is better or equal to Hawaii but I do know I cold have gone to a bowl game in NOLA. Which kinda upsets me that we fans didn't get one more opportunity to see SMU in a bowl game. I enjoyed both the Armed Forces and Compass bowl and that experience. I would have love NOLA for a game as well.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: R & L Carrier Bowl

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:45 am

Well Hawaii was his goal. He said it was their goal to start the season. Any excuse to get his lazy check collecting [deleted] back to the islands to play golf.

A NOLA bowl game would have been fun. :|
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:23 am

I remember pulling for the Nola bowl when it was one of the possibilities..even cleared my calendar for it. This was the year we played Fresno I believe
RGV Pony

Postby No Quarter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:43 pm

ponyte, blackoutpony, and RGV Pony all commented that a game in NOLA would have been fun and accessible by a lot more SMU people than one in the Islands.

OHY!
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:12 pm

In his defense (I hate writing that), the Hawaii Bowl is a better bowl for the players. Plus, we got to see Margus make their right tackle cry.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU89 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:06 pm

Yes and santa can watch it while building a walk-in kitchen.
SMU89

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:10 pm

It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

So glad that charade is over.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:32 pm

I'm as critical of tiki as anyone, but on this point I don't think he was wrong.

SMU vs Fresno St in the Hawaii Bowl or SMU vs LaLafayette in the Nola Bowl.

The TV ratings are greater on Christmas Eve, Fresno St is the higher profile opponent and I suspect the players prefer Hawaii. Only downside is the travel costs / timing for the fans.

So 3 positives vs 1 negative with biggest factor being the TV exposure from Hawaii. SMU made the right decision IMO.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonySnob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 pm

Have we ever seen the ratings/number of households that were estimated to have watched the two Hawaii bowls?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:29 am

PonySnob wrote:Have we ever seen the ratings/number of households that were estimated to have watched the two Hawaii bowls?

1.4 Nielsen for 2012. Can't find 2009.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/01 ... he-charts/

Edit: The table shows rating for 2009-10 for the games, which in Hawaii bowl's case was 1.7
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:15 am

Pony Boss wrote:
PonySnob wrote:Have we ever seen the ratings/number of households that were estimated to have watched the two Hawaii bowls?

1.4 Nielsen for 2012. Can't find 2009.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/01 ... he-charts/

Edit: The table shows rating for 2009-10 for the games, which in Hawaii bowl's case was 1.7

Based on this, R&L NOLA Bowl had a better rating. I am not saying the NOLA bowl was a better bowl, I'm just stating a personal opinion that it would have been a lot easier for me to watch in person the Ponies play in NOLA than Hawaii. And one could argue, that tHawaii is certainly beautiful for and unique but NOLA has something most young men crave, loose women in abundance.

There is something to e said for the beauty and exotic tropical islands of Hawaii, There is something to be said about abundant hormonal satisfaction as well.
ponyte

Postby MustangStealth » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:43 am

I thought we already knew this.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:02 pm

We had twice as many hits on the SMU website the night of the first Hawaii bowl than we did when we announced the Presidential Library.

It was great publicity, and IIRC it was one of the higher watched bowl games that year outside of the BCS games.
JasonB

Return to Football