PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

Postby TidePony » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Of course Texas does not want in the SEC. Texas would get b*tch slapped in the SEC (and that's just the conference meetings). I would love to watch round one with LSU, followed by the egos at UGA, and then some cocky jerk action from Florida, oh and then end it with Kentucky reminding them that they are basketball and they aren't crap. No they don't want any part of the SEC. And for the record, I didn't even mention Saban, Bielema, or the Old Ball Coach!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:14 pm

smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:00 pm

smupony94 wrote:Whole conference. And then the p4 negotiate a single contract in 2024 and realign conferences.

Alright, fine, I'm bored.

Right now you have 65 P5 schools (including Notre Dame). I think 4x18 is the most likely scenario with the Big 12 dissolving and the seven current G5 schools getting the call up to the big show. Fortunately for us, the wheels on this won't get set in motion for a few years, so we'll have some time to get the football program rolling while the basketball program hopefully improves its upward trajectory under Larry. Conferences are going to be looking for schools in big markets that have made significant commitments to football and are well supported.

G5 schools competing for those spots, in no particular order:

BYU- definite shoe-in. Huge fan base, great facilities, great fan support. They may have to relent on the playing on Sundays deal but in 2020 if it's a choice between that and being relegated to basically FCS for eternity, I think money talks.

Cincinnati- probably a shoe-in. Great facilities, recent track record of success in football and basketball, decent-sized market.

Memphis- see Cincy, sans the facilities. (although I think they recently announced some proposed improvements)

Houston- Well positioned with recent success in football, good fan support, new stadium, and being in the Houston market.

Boise State- probably out because of their market; it's just not big enough and no current P5 teams are going to want to play up there because it doesn't help you in recruiting. Kind of amazing given their recent run of success in football and maybe I'm wrong, but they've got a lot working against them. Telling that they've never been mentioned in any Big 12/Pac-12 expansion scenarios ever

Colorado State- Maybe? I think they're building a new stadium and they've been supported well in the past, but does Colorado get a second team in? Not sure on this one.

Fresno, San Diego State- would probably be a lot of pressure from California politicians to get them in, but you'd have to think Cal, UCLA, Stanford, and USC would be dead set against it.

UCF and USF- I'd think they're both in, although UCF has a decided leg up on USF at this stage. Big TV markets, great recruiting bases, and both are well-supported when playing well.

UConn- great basketball program, football has hit a wall since that Fiesta Bowl a few years ago, not much fan support and they don't really deliver the NYC market. I think it's more than likely that they take their basketball program to the Big East and relegate football to the MAC or FCS during the next round of realignment, especially if AAC schools are leaving. No one up there really seems all that interested in football

Tulane, Tulsa, Temple- no, no, no.

So where does that leave us? With some work to do. Fortunately, I think all of the Grant of Rights agreements have bought us some time. We've got a couple things working against us: private school with small alumni base, a recent history of losing and no fan support. But we're located in what might be the fasted growing metropolitan region in the nation which just also so happens to be the one of the nation's hottest recruiting hotbeds for football. Teams across the country would love to come to Dallas every other year and be able to sell that to DFW-area recruits. Now granted, some already do and play at Jerryworld, but we'd give a lot of other programs that opportunity. I'm not naive enough to think we "deliver" the DFW TV market, but if we're successful I think we could get a lot of casual Dallas fans to tune in -- I believe 94 said one of the people at ESPN was surprised at how well our basketball team did in TV ratings this year, for instance. Also we're in a region with 18 (I think) Fortune 500 companies, so that's a lot of potential sponsorship revenue for other programs and conferences that's down the road from us here. Finally, we've shown were willing to make an institutional commitment to a winning football program- Chad is one of the highest paid G5 coaches and the new IPF will back this up as well.

On the surface, you'd think playing in a 30,000-seat stadium would work against us in a big way, but the future is going to be TV revenues- not ticket sales. People would much rather sit at home and watch a game on their 60" HDTV or at a sports bar than sit in the heat or cold in bleachers for three hours...I think you'll see a lot of bigger programs downsize their stadiums and replace undesirable bleacher seats with premium seating options which reduce overall capacity but maximize revenues in the future.

If, in 3-4 years, Chad has us winning 8 or 9 games a year and in contention for conference titles, and Larry can keep us nationally ranked and get us to the second weekend of the tourney at least once or twice, I think we can make as strong of a case as a lot of the other G5 schools. Bottom line- buy tickets and leave the game on your TV at home when you leave to go to Ford

Pony Up
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:47 pm

Even when the game is on tv I load the internet radio feed on my computer
smupony94

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Smart idea with leaving the TV on for ratings. Never thought of that ECM.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:51 pm

He will rock you like a Hermancane
smupony94

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:19 am

Just win. That simple. I think we often underestimate our potential fan base if we started winning. And in 3 to 4 years I want double digit wins yearly.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:55 am

Pony Boss wrote:Smart idea with leaving the TV on for ratings. Never thought of that ECM.

Unless you're in a Nielsen household leaving your TV on a game has no effect on the rating.

As for ECM's breakdown of the schools, I disagree on Temple. I think they could be very appealing to a P5 conference If they can figure out football,
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:06 am

No one in Philly cares about football and Temple lacks the financial commitment to give it a real go. They are in the same boat as Tulsa/Tulane. Schools in good sized markets that lack the financial means to truly market themselves as P5 contenders.

BYU, SMU, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, USF, and UConn. That's it in terms of G5 schools that have a real shot.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby friarwolf » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:22 am

Don't forget Notre Dame
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:47 am

Not that no one in Philly cares about football, you just have to convince PA to support anything that could take players and money and attention away from State Pen U. If Temple started to win they would get the fans, if for no other reason that Philly fans are so shocked when any of their teams are successful.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:29 am

Philly is an Eagles and college basketball town. Those who follow college football care about Pitt and PSU. Temple is a basketball school with little financial commitment to football.

It would take a truly massive commitment for Temple to be considered a viable expansion candidate over the 8-10 schools already mentioned. Nothing wrong with Temple as an institution (I'm glad they are in the AAC) but they have virtually no shot at P5.
StallionsModelT

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:34 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:Just win. That simple. I think we often underestimate our potential fan base if we started winning. And in 3 to 4 years I want double digit wins yearly.

Dallas is a "buzz" city. We have to create a buzz and make SMU football a chic thing to do. It has already happened in basketball. Can it be done in football? Yes it can be done but it is going to take something special. I believe we have that in Chad Morris.
StallionsModelT

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:34 am

Consistency is key. Win but win consistently. I can't wait for the season to start, the anxiety is killing me! :)
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby fifty » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:35 pm

Shoot..let's start with beating NTSU and JMU then worry about winning consistently.
fifty
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football