PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

Postby skyscraper » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:16 pm

Ryan Aber @ryaber
David Boren: Big 12 "should strive for" 12-team league #Sooners
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Memphis and cinci will be excited to hear
RGV Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:34 pm

Don't see how going to 12 helps them at all, especially if they can stage a confenerce championship game with 10. You'd be splitting the pie two more ways and I don't think that Cincy and Memphis give you that much more leverage in TV negotiations.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:15 pm

The actual name of that conference is "Big 12". And I can see them going to 12 eventually. Hopefully they listen to Boone Pickens and pick SMU and Memphis.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKai » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:30 pm

Well, since we add maybe 35 cents to the conference's value, I'm not holding my breath.
PonyKai

Postby Dukie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Pony Boss wrote:The actual name of that conference is "Big 12". And I can see them going to 12 eventually. Hopefully they listen to Boone Pickens and pick SMU and Memphis.

Big 8, PAC 10, PAC 8 ... the number of discarded conference names based on numbers that later changed is pretty long, and giving away millions so they can match the number of member schools from 1995 is in no way a priority, whether they ever correct their name, or not.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:23 pm

I think you may be shorting our value add. They by no means have DFW clamped down - and we do provide a final nail for that - plus putting us in keeps any other conference out which is at least of some value. Plus if we get good - look out - huge corporate sponsorship opportunities for the conference. See USC for example.

If you had to pick between Memphis and Cinn I would think Cinn provides more eyeballs - but that's a guess.
gostangs

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:07 pm

gostangs wrote:I think you may be shorting our value add. They by no means have DFW clamped down - and we do provide a final nail for that - plus putting us in keeps any other conference out which is at least of some value. Plus if we get good - look out - huge corporate sponsorship opportunities for the conference. See USC for example.

If you had to pick between Memphis and Cinn I would think Cinn provides more eyeballs - but that's a guess.

A large part of the SMU fan base does suffer from an inferiority complex. Understandable due to 30 years of being put down by everyone in the state.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:42 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
gostangs wrote:I think you may be shorting our value add. They by no means have DFW clamped down - and we do provide a final nail for that - plus putting us in keeps any other conference out which is at least of some value. Plus if we get good - look out - huge corporate sponsorship opportunities for the conference. See USC for example.

A large part of the SMU fan base does suffer from an inferiority complex. Understandable due to 30 years of being put down by everyone in the state.

Down here in College Station it is called "Battered Aggie Syndrome" from being the lesser brother in SWC/Big 12 days. A&M fans have adapted to this mindset, and even now, a few years into the SEC, they still have to look at Austin to find some degree of relevance.
We have developed something different...indifference. Many of our grads have become comfortable with 'our place' in the football universe, and seek to go to a bowl, any bowl, and count it a success. Our current situation is not like Ron Meyer coming in after the '76 season, with a conference that had national pull. We can arguably be the 'best of the rest', but we need to look west 30 miles to chart the course for how to get a seat at the table. It has to be earned, not bought.
Hiring CM is a single step on a rather long and arduous course, and one that has no margin for error.
Our timetable for recovery and relevance has been compressed due to our own decisions in the past.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby stc9 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm not a fan of the Big XII Schools. They would drive our attendance and move the needle for the local market. As a conference it makes the most sense for SMU's aspirations; however, they are never going to look at SMU unless someone else comes sniffing and makes them defend the market. It doesn't make sense for them to expand and dilute their money until they have to defend their TV markets.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:22 pm

Are you a fan or not?
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

stc9 wrote:I'm not a fan of the Big XII Schools. They would drive our attendance and move the needle for the local market. As a conference it makes the most sense for SMU's aspirations; however, they are never going to look at SMU unless someone else comes sniffing and makes them defend the market. It doesn't make sense for them to expand and dilute their money until they have to defend their TV markets.

It's not the other school's task to raise SMU's attendance. That falls on SMU and its fans to fill the stadium no matter you play TCU, Houston, LSU, Alabama or Timbuktu U. The football product should be good enough to do that by itself but the fan base needs to show up and support. Do SMU fans show up to Moody just because of UConn? Nope, it is either full or almost whether they are playing USF, UCSB or Cincinnati and UConn. Same should happen at Ford.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby skyscraper » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:48 pm

skyscraper

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:00 pm

Good that one of the 2 masters of the conference feels like expansion is a great idea. Nothing will happen until texas austin decides to expand.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:05 pm

or texas austin decides to leave, with OU following suit
RGV Pony

Next

Return to Football