PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:09 am

24 teams? I find that too big for a conf. If others follow suit you end up with 96 teams in Div 1A, while others have choice to drop down to FCS. That may give SMU a chance of it were to happen, although unlikely it will.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:14 am

Pony Boss wrote:24 teams? I find that too big for a conf. If others follow suit you end up with 96 teams in Div 1A, while others have choice to drop down to FCS. That may give SMU a chance of it were to happen, although unlikely it will.

You didn't read 94's comment. They would take them in and then reshuffle (since the SEC doesn't have a GoR). I would see Mizzou and KU going to the B10 (for example).

This is the only way to get schools like Baylor, Iowa State, and TCU on board as it assures they have a spot...other than MWC.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:17 am

Chip said he didn't have any great insider information, just that while speaking to numerous ADs the year 2024 kept coming up. Isn't that a song, in the Year 2024?
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 am

smupony94 wrote:Chip said he didn't have any great insider information, just that while speaking to numerous ADs the year 2024 kept coming up. Isn't that a song, in the Year 2024?

The B12 GoR expires in 2024-2025. I've always thought that will be the year of the next major movement.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:26 am

Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby West Coast Johnny » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:21 pm

OU's AD is full of crap. Big 12 Expansion is just a red herring unless he really wants to play road games @Provo and @Memphis. It's just a precursor to OU's exit which will drive the big 12 to its knees.

Scenario One
My thought is that OU is sick of Texas and will seek a divorce just like A&M did and go full Aggie for the SEC and bring OSU with it due to political entanglements.
That will leave Texas will head to the Pac and bring some of its friends with and the Pac 12's Texas pod will be Texas, TCU, Tech & Baylor.
Kansas to the B!G and takes KSU with it.
WVU and ISU to the ACC (sucks to be ISU)

Scenario Two
Texas, OU, OSU and Tech to the Pac
SEC adds two ACC Schools
ACC adds TCU, Baylor, WVU and ISU
Big adds KSU & Kansas

Wild card is if the major independents (Notre Dame & BYU) join conferences.
Means that there are twelve dogs for ten bones. Probably means ISU, Baylor and TCU would have to fight it out or get relegated. In that scenario I think TCU is the last man in and ISU & Baylor get screwed due to media market potential.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:28 pm

With TCU being in the DFW market, hard to see them getting screwed in any kind of realignment.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:30 pm

^scenarios from a tcwho troll
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:35 pm

PonySnob wrote:With TCU being in the DFW market, hard to see them getting screwed in any kind of realignment.

Now isn't that what SMU thought too? Lol
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony81 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:36 pm

UT doesn't have to take Tech nor does OU have to take OSU. SEC doesn't want or need OSU nor does the PAC 12 want or need UT.

I don't see the PAC 12 taking anybody but Texas. SMU and UH go to the Big 12 .
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby West Coast Johnny » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Pony Boss wrote:^scenarios from a tcwho troll

Fair enough but they are just scenarios. TCUs place at the table is far from secure but better now then ever.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby West Coast Johnny » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Pony81 wrote:UT doesn't have to take Tech nor does OU have to take OSU. SEC doesn't want or need OSU nor does the PAC 12 want or need UT.

I don't see the PAC 12 taking anybody but Texas. SMU and UH go to the Big 12 .

State legislators will have their say.
Texas will want some conference games that their alumni won't have to drive for 36 hours to get to. Texas & Tech are joined at the hip through political entanglements as are OSU & OU, Kansas & KSU and Texas won't object to bringing Tech along for the ride. Remains to be seen who else Texas will bring along. The longhorns have big coattails.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:13 pm

Maybe. But I don't think Texas needs a travel partner as they have the resources to support a large travel budget and - let's face it - outside of OU, their fans aren't wild about any Big 12 venue. They don't travel well at all.

But a trip to Cali - that would have some appeal.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:37 pm

Texas does not need, nor does it want, anyone from the existing Big 12 going with them in any conference realignment scenario involving the PAC 12. I still don't see how the PAC 12 is going to handle the LHN. You really think CU is dying to get back into bed with Texas? As for OU leaving for the SEC and leaving OK State behind I think you are underestimating the political pressure that will be applied to OU if they attempt such a move. OSU has several powerful and influential people in their corner (cough cough....T Boone). They will not allow OU to leave them behind in what would be a decimated Big 12.

As for the SEC absorbing the Big 12 collectively.....please. Texas wants no part of any association with the SEC. If anything, I could see Texas bolting for the PAC and the rest of the Big 12 being absorbed into the SEC, but certainly not Texas joining the SEC.

Either way I think this is just posturing from all parties. Big 12 stays as it is currently constructed through its GoR in 2024 and that point all bets are off.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby West Coast Johnny » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Texas does not need, nor does it want, anyone from the existing Big 12 going with them in any conference realignment scenario involving the PAC 12.

Wrong. Its a simple matter of wanting to play an occasional conference road game that isn't 2000 miles away.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football