PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

Postby Pony81 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:49 pm

I wonder what OU's Big 12 Grant of Rights obligations are? I thought they were pretty tied up through like 2020 but not sure. So unless there is a loop hole in the GOR can they really leave anytime soon?
I think the SEC would love to have OU. The West would be loaded but there was a day when the East was loaded with FLA and UGA at the top of there game.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:08 pm

I went back to 1950, a large enough data period, to see which P-5 programs have the highest winning percentages over the past 65 years.

If OU were to join the SEC West, that division would have 8 schools, 7 of which would rank in the Top 27 all-time winning percentage. That's insane. OU btw is #2, behind only Ohio St.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:11 pm

I always thought Michigan was #1
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Michigan #7

UT #6
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:14 pm

From 1950 till today
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:From 1950 till today

Ok that may be why. I read somewhere Michigan was the winningnest program, most likely they are taking into account their all time record and not 1950s-present.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby ReedFrawg » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:54 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
ReedFrawg wrote:Hello from beautiful Fort Worth guys and ladies...hope summer is treating you all well. It's been a while so thought I would check in.

When it comes to realignment, obviously none of us can control the future so hopefully you can all enjoy the ride that is hopefully coming with HCCM. I know lots of TCU fans who spent our time before the Big 12 worried about what was going to happen...heck they are still worried. Just win games and remember that the journey is the fun part even though the goal may be something bigger. See you more and more as football season approaches!

Reed, even though I am tempted to say you are trolling our board (and big dogging us with your newfound P5 status) I will refrain from all insult and say this: Thank you TCU for showing us the way. SMU was, is and will be better than TCU, and PonyUpTempo Football will show why SMU is better than TCU in all ways shapes and forms. God Bless the SMU Mustangs.

I respect you Reed and I don't want you to take any of this personally. You are a rival in a rival board after all. Go Ponies and Go SMU!

Not at all flaunting P5 status...things fell right for tcu and people at tcu put us in the right position. Having been a member of this board since 2003 I can assure you I am not trolling.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby ReedFrawg » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:58 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Only thing ReedFrawg said that I will draw into serious question is "beautiful Fort Worth." That city is such a dump

I figured someone would call me on that which is the only reason I included it...
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby MustangStealth » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:59 pm

ReedFrawg wrote: Just win games and remember that the journey is the fun part even though the goal may be something bigger.

In that case, we'll trade places with you and you can enjoy the journey again. Deal?
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:17 pm

In the extremely unlikely event SMU ever did get a Big XII invite, where would TCU go?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Harley Spoon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:09 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:If OU were to join the SEC West, that division would have 8 schools, 7 of which would rank in the Top 27 all-time winning percentage. That's insane. OU btw is #2, behind only Ohio St.

SEC is not wanting or needing to add another football power program to the conference....the road to the playoffs is already considered by most in the SEC as almost too daunting. As regards a potential move by OU to the SEC, it's important to remember that FSU and Clemson were anxiously considering options when the ACC was in peril the last time around. The SEC took Missouri as a fourteenth school over the FSU option. It takes a 75% approval by university presidents to accept a new school....although the commissioner has said in the past that the strong desire is to have unanimous agreement.

In the case of Texas, there is a gentlemen's agreement/understanding etc amongst schools with potential in state rivals to rope off the SEC for the existing SEC schools within a state. Florida, South Carolina, A&M and Georgia would not approve the addition of a second-in state rival in one of those four states. Also in the case of Texas, it is unlikely that Arkansas, Missouri or LSU would be a positive vote either. In the case of Alabama, they just announced their new school president a couple of weeks ago....an A&M graduate.

SEC is not clamoring for more competition at the highest level.....they are wanting more television sets and more money.....thus affecting any potential OU move to the SEC. Further affecting an OU move to the SEC is that A&M, Arkansas and LSU would not vote to diminish the Texas recruiting grounds with another border SEC school.....and adding the aforementioned Alabama situation, odds would be against a positive vote for OU......and most certainly not unanimous.

Odds on favorites if there is growth beyond 14 schools would be North Carolina State and Virginia Tech.
Harley Spoon

Postby leopold » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:36 pm

Harley Spoon wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:If OU were to join the SEC West, that division would have 8 schools, 7 of which would rank in the Top 27 all-time winning percentage. That's insane. OU btw is #2, behind only Ohio St.

SEC is not wanting or needing to add another football power program to the conference....the road to the playoffs is already considered by most in the SEC as almost too daunting. As regards a potential move by OU to the SEC, it's important to remember that FSU and Clemson were anxiously considering options when the ACC was in peril the last time around. The SEC took Missouri as a fourteenth school over the FSU option. It takes a 75% approval by university presidents to accept a new school....although the commissioner has said in the past that the strong desire is to have unanimous agreement.

In the case of Texas, there is a gentlemen's agreement/understanding etc amongst schools with potential in state rivals to rope off the SEC for the existing SEC schools within a state. Florida, South Carolina, A&M and Georgia would not approve the addition of a second-in state rival in one of those four states. Also in the case of Texas, it is unlikely that Arkansas, Missouri or LSU would be a positive vote either. In the case of Alabama, they just announced their new school president a couple of weeks ago....an A&M graduate.

SEC is not clamoring for more competition at the highest level.....they are wanting more television sets and more money.....thus affecting any potential OU move to the SEC. Further affecting an OU move to the SEC is that A&M, Arkansas and LSU would not vote to diminish the Texas recruiting grounds with another border SEC school.....and adding the aforementioned Alabama situation, odds would be against a positive vote for OU......and most certainly not unanimous.

Odds on favorites if there is growth beyond 14 schools would be North Carolina State and Virginia Tech.

I agree with 90% of this, but I have to admit there are a couple of things I question.

The gentlemen's agreement between the eastern schools absolutely exists but may or may not extend to A&M. UT may be simply too good of a deal to pass up on if hell freezes over and they tell the SEC they're interested - school presidents (outside of A&M) would drool over the resources the 'horns bring to the table financially, academically, and athletically. There is no other program in the country right now that brings as much to the table as UT - certainly not FSU, Tech, or Clemson - and the SEC would effectively own the state of Texas then, taking it from the Big XII and possibly taking it from the PAC 12. But I think it's a mute point - Texas isn't interested in the SEC.

But I think you're dead on concerning the rest of it. If the SEC could steal two schools in NC or VA from the ACC it would be done tomorrow.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:48 pm

For the ACC, dumping V tech and NC State and trading them for two schools in a new geography (say for example - SMU and Houston) would be a net win for them, money wise.
gostangs

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:54 pm

Pony Boss wrote:Reed, even though I am tempted to say you are trolling our board (and big dogging us with your newfound P5 status) I will refrain from all insult and say this: Thank you TCU for showing us the way. SMU was, is and will be better than TCU, and PonyUpTempo Football will show why SMU is better than TCU in all ways shapes and forms. God Bless the SMU Mustangs.

I respect you Reed and I don't want you to take any of this personally. You are a rival in a rival board after all. Go Ponies and Go SMU!

Nah, Reed is legit. But then again, I'm an SMU guy living in Fort Worth. . .so I have to be careful what I say about TCU folks. :D
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 pm

ESPN radio host Colin Cowherd said the Big 12 will evaporate, leaving Texas and Oklahoma to go their separate ways in college football realignment....
http://fansided.com/2015/06/30/big-12-t ... ahoma-sec/
smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Football