PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Roster Updated

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Roster Updated

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:04 pm

I bet Hicks plays. They are very high on him. He has a shot at grabbing the starting role.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:06 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Did Garrett lose the job to Matt or get hurt? Matt led the team to its only victory but stat-wise, both were similar. Matt, of course, was more highly touted.

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
KRSTICH,Garrett 10 90.3 99-181-7 54.7 855 2 53 85.5
DAVIS,Matt 10 98.0 89-164-5 54.3 855 3 67 85.5

Didn't Ben Hicks run HCCM's offense at Waco Midway?

Last year, the OL was so bad the QBs drew straws and the loser had to play until he was injured.

Early in the season Burcham (season ending) and Davis (not that serious) were injured and Cassel was a disaster. Thus, Krstich had to play until he got injured. By that point, Davis was healthy enough to play.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Davis the clear starter (just as predicted last year). If Moore stays committed, Morris has a QB controversy next year. Hicks a good career backup. Jorden gets a fine degree.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:12 pm

footballdad wrote:Davis the clear starter (just as predicted last year). If Moore stays committed, Morris has a QB controversy next year. Hicks a good career backup. Jorden gets a fine degree.

Davis has two years of eligibility remaining. If he starts this year and plays decently well behind what will be a suboptimal OL, I can't see a true freshman like Moore taking his job in 2016
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby footballdad » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:25 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
footballdad wrote:Davis the clear starter (just as predicted last year). If Moore stays committed, Morris has a QB controversy next year. Hicks a good career backup. Jorden gets a fine degree.

Davis has two years of eligibility remaining. If he starts this year and plays decently well behind what will be a suboptimal OL, I can't see a true freshman like Moore taking his job in 2016

The exact reason I mention 'controversy'. I think Morris views Moore as his next DeShaun Watson. and Watson showed Morris is not afraid to play a true freshman. Moore is Morris' guy, the program changer, with a much better arm.....but Davis will be the Senior leader, who gutted through the worst of times, and helped turn the program in the right direction.

Tough decision, if we can keep him.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:55 am

Ben Hicks had offers from Florida and Michigan (two better programs than David Moore currently has offers from) and before either he or David Moore have ever taken a single snap of college football we are ready to say who is a career backup.

You can't make this stuff up.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:26 am

I highly doubt Hicks had committable offers from Florida or Michigan. I don't even remember seeing either on his offer list
East Coast Mustang

Roster Updated

Postby lwjr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:34 am

Once Harbaugh became the UM coach he made a last minute plea to Hicks after he had committed to SMU. Pretty much same situation with the Florida new HC
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:15 am

lwjr wrote:Once Harbaugh became the UM coach he made a last minute plea to Hicks after he had committed to SMU. Pretty much same situation with the Florida new HC

Yup. Morris talked about it in a few of his interviews.

So yes ECM, they were 100% committable
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ClickClack » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 am

StallionsModelT wrote:Ben Hicks had offers from Florida and Michigan (two better programs than David Moore currently has offers from) and before either he or David Moore have ever taken a single snap of college football we are ready to say who is a career backup.

You can't make this stuff up.

Not only has Moore not taken a snap at the college level...he has not started a varsity game.
ClickClack
All-American

Postby malonish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:29 am

Moore, Hicks, and I share college level snap count.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:31 am

blackoutpony wrote:
lwjr wrote:Once Harbaugh became the UM coach he made a last minute plea to Hicks after he had committed to SMU. Pretty much same situation with the Florida new HC

Uhhh I love Chad but coaches talk up their signees all of the time. I've seen zero credible evidence that Hicks had committable offers from Florida or Michigan. Not a knock on Hicks, I just don't think he did. Those programs reaching out and showing interest is not the same thing as a committable offer
East Coast Mustang

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:34 am

Hicks' offers from UF and Michigan were absolutely committable offers. Came right before the early signing period and after he committed to SMU.

Ben Hicks put up monster numbers at one of the top high school programs in the state over the past few years. He was runner up at the Elite 11 competition and has been on campus for winter workouts, spring ball, and now summer workouts. Casting him aside as a career backup at this point and anointing Moore as the savior is divorced from reality.
StallionsModelT

Postby Junior » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:35 am

malonish wrote:Moore, Hicks, and I share college level snap count.

and Severt.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:35 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:

Uhhh I love Chad but coaches talk up their signees all of the time. I've seen zero credible evidence that Hicks had committable offers from Florida or Michigan. Not a knock on Hicks, I just don't think he did. Those programs reaching out and showing interest is not the same thing as a committable offer

Quarterback Ben Hicks, who already is enrolled at SMU for the spring semester, and his high school coach both confirmed this week that just before he enrolled at SMU, Hicks received late offers from Florida and Michigan. Hicks said it was extremely flattering to be offered by Florida, as a big SEC school, and that he was even more flattered by the offer from Michigan, largely because he was pursued by new UM head coach Jim Harbaugh, who is "a heck of a coach, and knows a few things about quarterbacks."
StallionsModelT

PreviousNext

Return to Football