PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU @ Navy - trip experiences?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU @ Navy - trip experiences?

Postby Mestengo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:12 pm

Probably my least favorite road trip ever.
The only good memories were sitting across from Laura Bush her daughter on the way home in first class and drinking beer with Mr Ford from the keg at the Mustang Club tent

I think the few mistakes I made on this trip were staying at a hotel where there were no SMU fans and sitting down front in a section with the same. it was a last minute standby flight thing.

I have never had a problem with fans at any place I've ever traveled to - I think you get what you put out.

As far as all the talk about Little tin soldiers walking in formation - the government and all of their monuments I could take a big zero on.
favorite road trip ever for an SMU game Hawaii 2009 followed by Marshall
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:07 pm

The best Air Museum is down at Dulles Airport. That's where the Blackbird and the Enola Gay are on display plus tons of fighters from the USA Germany and Japan. It's a huge exhibit and not to be missed.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:54 pm

SMU's DC chapter has about 600 folks. So the Alumni Association usually puts on a good spread for the Navy Game. Dress warm, weather that time of year can be chilly. Like I said, if you've never been to DC, lots to see here. Pick the things mentioned that interest you and you can't go wrong. A lot of stuff you can see from afar. I've lived here my entire life and never been to the top of the Washington Monument, but I've seen it every day. So, come here and enjoy the area.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonySnob » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:32 pm

Could be big changes coming to DC in this liberal/politically correct world:

http://pjmedia.com/blog/video-d-c-resid ... #undefined
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Would make for a fun trip
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby soccermom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:42 am

PonySnob wrote:Could be big changes coming to DC in this liberal/politically correct world:

Seems like we should wipe out all of our country's history. Seems like people have way too much time on their hands.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:08 am

PonySnob wrote:Could be big changes coming to DC in this liberal/politically correct world:

lol D.C. was called "Chocolate City" for decades.
PonyKai

Postby smumustang1980 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:48 pm

My brother Rick and I attended the SMU Navy game in Annapolis in the early Nineties. We had a good time hitting the local bars after the Mustangs destroyed Navy. The East Coast SMU fans showed up in strength so we weren't exposed to the locals. I thought the old Navy stadium was historically interesting but for the most part a dump. The next morning we drove up to Gettysburg, PA toured the battlefield, and then headed back for Dulles and our flight home.

I was in grad school at UVA in Charlottesville in the mid Eighties and had seen much of DC and the environs.

I'd recommend Mr. Jefferson's Monticello in Charlottesville which is 125 miles away, but worth the detour.
Also, the grounds (don't make the mistake of referring to a campus) of UVA are beautiful and the Rotunda served as the template for SMU's Dallas Hall - as well as the idea of laying out the buildings on a central axis.

Annapolis is a quaint old colonial village and if you have a girl with you they will love the old shops.

Everyone has covered Washington... save for Washington's Mt. Vernon.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby ponyboys » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:03 pm

I have been to Navy Marine Corp Stadium a number of times and never had anything but a very positive experience. I have been there rooting for Navy and also rooting for the other team based upon the schools my kids were attending at the time, so I have seen it from both sides. If you have never been and truly wish to enjoy the experience, stay in Downtown Annapolis (DTA), eat in DTA, drink in DTA , tour the town and USNA and you will come away having enjoyed your trip I guarantee it. If you stay in any of the DTA hotels - Marriott, Loews, O callahan , or Westin you can pretty much park your car for the weekend and walk to everything or catch the free circulator trolley or the little commuter shuttles for $2 and not worry about traffic, parking etc, etc. Great places to eat and drink in that town.
ponyboys

Postby SMU Pony Mom » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Have my tickets already!! I personally think games at Navy are great. Happy for the chance to see SMU play relatively close to home.
SMU Pony Mom
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football