PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN: Race to be the next TCU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ESPN: Race to be the next TCU

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:42 pm

"Today, however, TCU is the blueprint for those still in Group of 5 purgatory angling for Power 5 inclusion."

When HCCM Pony Ups, SMU need to be in this discussion.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id ... e-next-tcu
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ESPN: Race to be the next TCU

Postby JoeKidd » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:04 am

Don't like that ESPN mentioned a lot of programs besides ours, we need to be included in everyone of these discussions to stay relevant (and start to win sooner rather than later)
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:27 am

It's really funny how quick perceptions change. Ask the question a year ago and you get a totally different answer.
ponyboy

Postby b_caesar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:58 am

I'd rather SMU not be the next anything TCU, thank you very much.
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby GreenbeltPony » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:30 pm

b_caesar wrote:I'd rather SMU not be the next anything TCU, thank you very much.

I can give you 24 million reasons why SMU should try to emulate TCU.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Agreed ^
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:54 pm

I am afraid you guys don't get it. SMU isn't included and wont be until our administration makes it a priority. When has Turner ever made a statement "I acknowledge that athletics is the front door of the university", as the president of UT made yesterday as quoted in the DMN? We will always be left out!
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby b_caesar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:10 pm

GreenbeltPony wrote:
b_caesar wrote:I'd rather SMU not be the next anything TCU, thank you very much.

I can give you 24 million reasons why SMU should try to emulate TCU.

Really? Woo-hoo. I can give you more than a billion why not. So what? I just think SMU should be setting the bar a LOT higher than just trying to do what that little school to the west is doing - even when it comes to football.

I don't want anyone saying we are anything like them. In anything. Ever. Better? Yes. Like? NO.
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby BigT3x » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:43 pm

Mexmustang wrote:I am afraid you guys don't get it. SMU isn't included and wont be until our administration makes it a priority. When has Turner ever made a statement "I acknowledge that athletics is the front door of the university", as the president of UT made yesterday as quoted in the DMN? We will always be left out!

Here we go with the baseless theories about how it's Turner's fault... Right on queue.
BigT3x
All-American

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:54 pm

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunda ... letics.ece

What do you say to critics, including SMU alumni, fans and donors, who argue that maintaining a football program at the highest level is counterproductive to SMU and the rest of its athletic programs?

While I appreciate different points of view, I find that most of our constituents feel that football is an integral part of our unique campus experience and is a rallying point for the university community, alumni and fans. We are committed to excellence in athletics and in academics, and indeed studies have shown that successful athletic programs help universities in many ways.

In addition, football is often the only program at FBS [NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision] schools that supports itself and provides support for other team sports. Therefore, all but about 20 universities supplement their programs to some extent. Most of the private universities with whom we compete academically also are committed to playing football at the highest level possible.

What is SMU's position on the apparent divide between the so-called Power Five conferences and the others, including your American Athletic Conference?

The NCAA Board of Directors for Division I agreed to let the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC autonomously establish standards in selected areas. Whatever standards are established may also be implemented by other schools within other Football Bowl Subdivision conferences. The American Athletic Conference as a whole, and SMU individually, will decide which policy changes to implement.

The goal of our athletic program is to be the best in the American Athletic Conference. Attaining that goal could help lead the American to be included with the other five top conferences or, if reorganization is incomplete within these leagues, SMU individually would be as attractive as possible. Therefore, our goal is to compete at the highest level possible.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:41 pm

This is in my view our last gasp effort with HCCM. If he can't turn it around and if Herman cannot turn it around for UH, then I forsee us staying in what's left of the American and perhaps backfilling with the likes of Rice, UTEP, La. Tech and everyone de-emphasizing football. If he does turn it around, then hopefully we'll get a P5 invite and go from there. Our only other hope is if the P5 conferences were to adopt some sort of Premier League model where bottom dwellers get relegated while top non-p5ers get moved up. Sort of align them by league. BXII/ACC aligned with American Conference. P12/B1G with MWC. SEC with CUSA/Sunbelt. That way, Kansas could get relegated and perhaps Cincy added. Wake Forest could get relegated and perhaps Navy slotted in. WSU relegated and Boise moved up.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Speaking of, went to a luncheon today and part of the program was a Q&A with the guys pictured. Obviously I enjoyed hearing HCCM talk; also liked hearing Bailiff,who spoke of having to ban text books between 230 and 630 when he first got there because players would be studying biochem during position meetings.

RGV Pony

Postby ReedFrawg » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:13 pm

EastStang wrote:This is in my view our last gasp effort with HCCM. If he can't turn it around and if Herman cannot turn it around for UH, then I forsee us staying in what's left of the American and perhaps backfilling with the likes of Rice, UTEP, La. Tech and everyone de-emphasizing football. If he does turn it around, then hopefully we'll get a P5 invite and go from there. Our only other hope is if the P5 conferences were to adopt some sort of Premier League model where bottom dwellers get relegated while top non-p5ers get moved up. Sort of align them by league. BXII/ACC aligned with American Conference. P12/B1G with MWC. SEC with CUSA/Sunbelt. That way, Kansas could get relegated and perhaps Cincy added. Wake Forest could get relegated and perhaps Navy slotted in. WSU relegated and Boise moved up.

Agreed with the first part of your statement but we both know the futbol format will never be adopted in the US.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:25 am

RGV Pony wrote:Speaking of, went to a luncheon today and part of the program was a Q&A with the guys pictured. Obviously I enjoyed hearing HCCM talk; also liked hearing Bailiff,who spoke of having to ban text books between 230 and 630 when he first got there because players would be studying biochem during position meetings.

Two thoughts:
1. Why didn't we hear about this? Would love to have attended.

2. Looks like Coach is getting his bowl cut in order. Hair looking much better.
ponyboy

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:04 pm

w/ regard to 1, good question. Cal Ripken foundation's fault for not publicizing more I guess.
RGV Pony

Next

Return to Football